1080p on Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by hoverX, Apr 25, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Hi There,

I'm considering getting an apple TV and running XBMC or boxee or something on it. I have a few movies ripped in 1080p, is there any software that will allow me to play these using the appleTV? or will i need to find some other solution?

EDIT: The TV that the Apple TV will be hooked up to is only 720p but i don't want to have to convert all my movies for a different TV.

2. macrumors 6502a

The only way to play 1080p video on your ATV is to install a CrystalHD build of XBMC and replace your ATV's wireless card with one of the CrystalHD cards. Have a look at the Apple section of the XBMC forum. You'll find plenty of info there.

http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?f=56&order=desc

It's not easy or completely bug free but it's a start.

3. thread starter macrumors member

does it make a difference that the video will only be displayed in 720p on the tv?

4. macrumors 604

gkarris

I'd wait for the next version - will run cooler (using the A4?) as well as 1080p capable...

5. macrumors 6502a

No, regardless of the output resolution your still asking the ATV to decode a 1080p file. Depending how many 1080p files you have to may be easier to just convert them to a 720p format that the ATV can play.

6. macrumors 6502

spectre51

Where are you pulling this info from?