1080p's

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bobo911, Mar 5, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

How well does the current macbook air's handle the 1080p movies?

2. macrumors regular

Romf

I have the previous one (with older processor) and it's absolutely fine, big mkvs with 1080p work perfectly. So no worries about the current one ;)

3. macrumors newbie

I agree ive never had any problems playing 1080p files on my machine

4. macrumors member

Look in other forum threads, some user have troubles playing HD movies via Youtube in Safari. Me too :) Decision is using Chrome instead.

5. macrumors 68030

Best thing to do is install click2flash for safari. Then you can watch the H.264 source files instead of the crappy flash ones!

6. macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Can I use H.264 to watch all youtube videos or just some of them?

7. macrumors 68010

You can do this even without clicktoflash, just by going to youtube.com/html5 and opting in to their html5 player.

8. macrumors 68030

I havent had one not work

----------

That restricts what videos will play. Some videos are restricted based on advertising....click2flash just goes to the source...regardless of DRM BS.

9. macrumors member

I have problems exactly with click2flash addon !!! With out this app everything is almost fine !!!

10. macrumors 603

appleguy123

The screen doesn't have 1080p resolution, but it plays the files themselves fine.

11. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

This is true, but you CAN connect a 1080p TV or monitor to the machine.

12. macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Are you saying that I wont be able to watch videos that have advertising attached if i opt-in, or just that I wont be able to see the advertising?

13. macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

You don't see the advertising as it relies on the flash player, but the video is still available in most cases.

Some videos are not available with the H.264 player, though this is mostly not the case, it still happens from time to time.

In my experience, click to flash breaks a few sites on Safari, Soundcloud never works properly, for example. YouTube is pretty hit or miss also.

I mostly use Chrome by default anyway, as it's still a Webkit browser, and it's slightly faster at page rendering than Safari.

14. macrumors 6502a

kdum8

Great thanks for that comprehensive answer. I have opted-in and will give it a try. No-advertising is a huge bonus actually.

I use 3 browsers,: Safari, Firefox and Opera. Opera overall has the best functionality, but no-matter what they say it has always been buggy for me on the mac and I can't rely on it. Safari is pretty good these days too.

I tend to watch youtube videos fairly frequently and flash rarely fails to lock-up my computer, or see the cpu temps jump to 100 degrees celcius. Always flash is the culprit. The sooner someone kills flash and replaces it with something better the sooner.