10K Criminals to be released?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Jun 22, 2013.

1. macrumors demi-god

lostngone

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/20/us-usa-california-prisons-idUSBRE95J17W20130620

Basically, California has had a prison overcrowding problem for a very long time. It was brought to the Federal Governments attention and the solution is to just let a few of them out early(10K), really early! Fortunately CA is fighting this.

Some of these people are going to be killers and rapists. These people have zero respect for the law and they are going to be let out to roam the streets again.

2. macrumors 6502a

I'm certain it'll be mostly drug offenders released early.

3. thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Oh Joy!

That makes me feel so much better knowing that I was stabbed and mugged by a repeat drug offender just looking for a little money for his first post release hit.

4. macrumors 6502a

No I didn't mean it like that. Mostly pot offenders, and other people who couldn't afford a good lawyer.

Heck I don't know man. I hope it's not hardcore criminals.

5. macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

They saw it coming..... Lol

Attached Files:

6. macrumors 68020

localoid

You say that with certainty, yet the article you linked to doesn't say anything about "killers and rapists" being freed.

7. macrumors 68000

hulugu

From the article:

The goal would be to release low-level offenders or those who constitute a low-risk to society because of their age, medical issues, or other qualities. In terms of drug offenders, this would not only mean people who used drugs (and are apparently seeking to knife somebody the first chance they get), but also people who were jailed for possession and sale.

There is another solution: California could raise taxes to fund the prison system in order to ensure that the population is being cared for under the Constitution, but since Calif. voters have hamstrung the state's government, they are releasing 10,000 prisoners.

This has been a long-run problem that has effectively been ignored by state.

8. macrumors 603

mrkramer

It didn't and there won't be any; with the possible exception of very old prisoners in too poor of health to reoffend.

9. macrumors 68030

.Andy

On the bright side that makes some room to lock up hysterical internet forum posters.

10. thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

The next time you see a shooting, murder or rape in the news listen to the end of the report. You will hear some short statement about how the accused has multiple criminal convictions. Remember NOT to ask yourself how someone with an extensive criminal record is still walking the streets.

Just blame it on the guns.

11. macrumors 68030

.Andy

That's why it's on the news. To stoke your sanctimony and inflame your indignation. To get you tuning in tomorrow for the next exciting rape or murder story. You are being played like a fiddle by the media.

12. macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

this^^^

13. macrumors 68000

hulugu

The recidivism rate dramatically declines as prisoners age. Playing around with BJS's Prisoner Recidivism Tool makes this clear. The rate for a man "Over 40" who spent more than four years in prison for homicide is 5.8 percent.

For comparison, men released prior to that metric are 59.4 percent likely to be rearrested and 21.7 percent likely to be re-incarcerated.

And, again, the California prison system isn't just going to open the gates and let out the first 10,000 prisoners, instead there's going to be an evaluation based on age, medical needs, and history of violence.

But, ultimately, this topic dodges a question, why is the California prison system so full and why are people continually satisfied with the squashing of the human rights of state prisoners?

----------

Media here. Do you really think the only reason Reuters covered this was to scare lostngone?

The panel of three federal judges may hold a state governor in contempt of court for failing to deal with the US Supreme Court ruling from 2011. This is an important story and though some outlets will sensationalize the issue (looking at you Fox News), the reporters got this one right.

14. macrumors 68030

.Andy

No that's not what I posted.

15. macrumors 68000

hulugu

Ah, never mind.

I misread your post.

16. macrumors 68030

.Andy

That's cool :cool:

17. macrumors G4

skunk

Probably the most significant part of this story is that those 10,000 people probably shouldn't have been locked up in the first place.

18. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This seems as good a place as any to drop this:

19. macrumors G4

skunk

That is unbearably right.

20. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Source, please.

The general practice, as I understand t, is to release non-violent offenders. But if you have a credible source indicating to the contrary...I'm interested.

21. macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem with the non violent offenders is that they learn things in prison and then become violent. This is how the cycle begins. They go in for a meaningless charge and come out hardened with no way to get a job because they are convicted convicts.

22. macrumors G5

yg17

Adam Lanza had no criminal record. Neither did James Holmes, or the Boston bombers.

23. TPadden, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013

macrumors 6502

Since you posted your opinion I'll post mine; mine is based on personal experience in the Southern California justice system. If you are in prison you are a SERIOUS criminal offender.

Everytime I hear about prison (not jail) which requires at least a years sentence and "meaningless" or "victemless" (recreational drug use) crime I ask the person talking if they ever actually KNEW anyone who went to PRISON for recreational drug use - I've never found one person who did. My police department in Southern California didn't even write "infraction" (fine only) tickets for recreational use or possession if you were committing no other crime.

Here's the drug statistics kick; almost every criminal I arrested in the act of committing a felony had drugs either in their possession or in their system. The California judicial system, being what it is, makes it particularly hard to get a robbery, assault, burglary, or any other felony conviction, even when caught in the act. Prosecutors tend to PLEA bargain those charges down to the slam dunk drug charges.

Again: If you are in prison you are already a serious criminal ...... but that's just my opinion :).

24. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

That's right. Petty criminals who, under today's legal codes, often get convicted of felonies. For example, shoplifting can often be charged as felony "burglary". Then, with a felony conviction, about the only jobs available are low-skilled low-paying jobs. We've already devolved back into the Gilded Age. Dickens' "Little Dorrit", which seemed so dated when I was young, was the perfect BBC/PBS 2008 conclusion to the Bush era.

25. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

Maybe its time to build more prisons....which should be a piece of cake in today's economy...