10th anniversary of kurt cobains suicide...

Discussion in 'Community' started by g30ffr3y, Apr 5, 2004.

1. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

april 5th, 2004...

i dont know about you guys, but kurt cobain had a serious impact on me... ten years ago it seemed like a bright light was taken out of my sky... before nirvana music wasnt really anything to me... i was 13... had a crummy boom box that id listen to the radio and weird al cd's on... when i heard smells like teen spirit for the first time i was instantly taken... it was amazing to me... and it just so happened that my mom was taking us to the mall just as i heard the song... so i took the small amount of money i had and bought Nevermind... flawless... soon after i bought my first guitar for 75$ off some kid at school and the tab book for Nevermind...

i learned to play the majority of the album... kept buying whatever nirvana music i could... got into other bands that were along the seatle wave of music... it was a good time... kept playing my guitar... bought myself a fender jaguar [sunburst] as my second guitar... got a four track and tried to make some music of my own... but then it all came crashing down...

once i heard that he was gone it was like a desert in my soul... i would listen to one nirvana song every night before i went to bed until i listened to every song on every cd i had... which was around 21 cd's/tapes combining all my bootlegs etc... i did an art project at school based around his suicide note which i had a copy of in his supposed handwriting... i had some down time... but i bounced back...

music never left me... i continued making my own music... eventually the guitar and four track grew into a guitar a four track a drum machine a sampler... then to a digital eight track and some keyboards... i fronted a band in college... once that disintegrated i finally to a mac and pro tools to do it all on my own... recently im having a renaissance of sorts... i sold off my pro tools digi001 [which is sitting in a box ready to be shipped out to my auction winner] and bought a motu 828mkII... i plan to buy logic soon... and hopefully a G5 once the dual 3's come out... i have three guitars now... and i still cant shake the fact that i play the way i play [the way i learned... playing nirvana tunes] i dont play metal like my brother or my friends... i just like to write songs... i use the electronics because i like to work alone but i believe in the same musical purity that kurt did...

im sorry if this post is useless to everyone and gets wastelanded... but today is the 10th anniversary of a very important person to my life... and i just wanted to say something about that...

bless you kurt... wherever you... geoffrey thomas jankowski...

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

hard to believe it was 10 years ago. we should gather up a bunch of cobain fans and go kill courtney love.

paul

3. g30ffr3y thread starter macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

ive read so much of that conspiracy theory stuff.. and althought i do see some possible truth to it... i would just rather assume that the poor man did what he thought he had to do and leave it be... only kurt really knows for sure...

but yeah... i friggin H8 H8 H8 HATE HATE courtney love... piece of bitch trash... i feel sorry for francis...

4. yuc7zhd2 macrumors regular

Wow, we had really similar life experiences man, as a result of Nirvana. It seems like a lot of people I know turned out that way musically and mentally, especially if you were white and adolescent in the early 90's. One question though... Do you still listen to Nirvana? Personally, I can't anymore, although I still respect In Utero and Unplugged musically. Anyways, Nevermind taught me how to play guitar, for better or worse.

5. g30ffr3y thread starter macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

in utero is my favourite... i dont listen to nirvana often so when i do its special... they were talking about kurt on my local rock radio station this morning and playing songs in the background... it was good to hear... they are all good songs and have withstood time thusfar... nirvana is certainly better than the schlock on radio now... most music i listen to now i classify as "industrial synth pop" i avoid whats "cool"... and keep homage to kurt and nirvana...

and that nevermind effect on my guitar playing... eek... my brother started with Rammstein... needless to say we have distinctively different styles... oh well... at least my music has melody...

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i listen to it when a song comes on the radio, which is pretty often. i don't seek the music out, i've never been in a mood where i just had to hear a nirvana song, after this much time. i do have the music somewhere tho, im MP3 or CD format, because it's so great.

And whether or not you believe the conspiracy theories (clearly i do), courtney love seriously screwed up his life. made him pretty well miserable... still deserves to die...

paul

7. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Cobain did not follow the rules for marriage/finding a girl.

The girl you are supposed to marry is the one that would destroy you the slowest. :p
    The boy you are supposed to marry is the one that can withstand your whining the longest. :p

8. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I never cared for his music. I heard it plenty of times, but I still didn't see what was so great about it. It's too bad he killed himself though. If he had gotten proper medical treatement, he'd probably still be around today.

9. alxths macrumors 6502

I was only in grade 5 when I heard about his death... I remember we were doing the 'current events' thing at the beginning of the day, and someone said something like 'the guy from the band nirvana killed himself.' Everyone was like 'whaaaat, hewas rich!' I had no idea who he was at teh time, and actually associated nirvana with the rolling stones for some reason... I actually started listening to them a year later when unplugged came out, and for years to come they'd be the center of my music interests.

Though nowadays i think that, while he was a great musician, his untimely death caused him to be a bit overrated. I guess this isnt' really the time to get into that though...

At any rate, he was one hell of a musician, and i'd gladly sacrifice 90% of the albums out there just to have one more from him.

10. g30ffr3y thread starter macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

i second that... i think the natural progression of his music after in utero wouldve been amazing... at least there was "you know your right" which if i recalll correctly that skank courtney hole [i know her name im just being an idiot] played it on hole's unplugged... never did she give him credit for it... just goes to show what a piece of **** she is...

as to the poster who said that he maybe couldve gotten help... there are somethings that just cant be helped... i believe that... he was just meant to live the life he led... no harm no foul... just great/inspiring music...

11. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

all hail the coward
    And I submit Courney Love as "Mother of the Year" for bragging she laid off heroin during her pregnancy, and for having that same daughter help her come down off a bad trip. Rich Trash.

12. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I pity him for feeling so lost that he felt suicide was his only answer. And to many he was a great musician. My problem is the people who worship him. He was a man with talent who had a lot of problems, and didn't make the best choices. I don't think we should look up to him too much as more than a good (possibly great) musician.

13. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I was in 4th grade at the time, and grunge was all the rage, even in elementary school. I found out that morning on the bus ride to school that Cobain had shot himself...I remember the day actually pretty vividly, it was still pretty cold out and there was snow on the ground. I've found that the older I've become, the more and more I appreciate Nirvana's music.

14. g30ffr3y thread starter macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

krizoitz... i see that your in seatle... since this is the tenth anniversary of his death is there a lot going on today as far as news/vigils/etc...???

its also the 2 year anniversary of layne staley from alice in chains death...

so very sad...

kurt was a great musician and spoke to a generation the same way john lennon etc... did in their times... it isnt about idol worship... he was a voice...

15. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I don't worship rock stars and none has given me any great insight on life, but Cobain's music was a watershed moment in my life, at least in terms of musical taste. I never liked hard rock-type music before then because it all seemed so materialistic, shallow, and melodramatic. But Nirvana's sound was pure, primal, yet honest. I was instantly hooked.

I was a high school senior when he died. My kid brother, a junior, was an even bigger fan. It was sad, for his sake, for the music world's sake, for our sake. But it wasn't really surprising. Just listen to his music, his lyrics. He was not happy, and he was not impressed with our world. At the time, I blamed the heroin for driving him to it. Now that I'm older, I think that might have been a bit too dismissive. He obviously hurt and made a difficult choice to end his pain. I don't agree with it, but I sympathize with it.

(I can't really allow for conspiracy theories without more proof.)

16. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

Kurt Cobain's music also gave me a jump start in my music life. I had always been musical, playing piano since i was a little kid, but i got the basics of guitar down by playing along with Nirvana's albums, and that's when i really started to have fun playing music for myself. I owe a lot to his somewhat simple yet incredible music. I know my playing and music listening have come a long way since then, but his music is what started it all for me and i know i see a little kurt cobain in a lot of what i like to hear and play.
    Its really too bad drugs and a hard life got the best of him. Who knows what he'd be doing now, just like so many other amazing people who don't get the chance to live a full life.

17. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I was in college at the time (ye gods, it's been that long?!?) and wasn't really listening to the whole grunge thing. I remember people crying as they told their friends, and candlelight vigils and such, and all I could think at the time was, who CARES?!?

As I've gotten older, though, Nirvana has really grown on me. Today you have all these P.O.'ed white-boy rage-rockers all talking about how much pain they're in, and you have all this pity-me rock with loud guitars about how much everyone's life sucks. Then you go back and listen to Nirvana, and it's the genuine stuff. There's a real darkness in that stuff that's missing from the modern takeoffs; maybe it's the injection of wry irony into that special brand of self-loathing that comes from knowing you've freely chosen to keep wallowing in your own filth. Maybe it's the lyrics that, while straightforward, are still undefined enough for you to project your own meaning on them. I don't know.

As for Courtney....I don't know that I'd go so far as to say she killed him, but living with that woman would be enough to drive anyone to drink, drugs, or worse. She's utter low-class noveau-riche trash who buys into her own celebrity hype on one hand, and can't deal with the shallowness of it on the other.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Long Live Nirvana

Nirvana is one of those bands that changed music history, kind of like Elvis and the Beatles did back in there time. In the early 90's when music was hitting a new, low Nirvana came in and cleaned house bringing in a new grunge Seattle sound that had never been heard before. The thing is that the music is still as good today as it was when it was first heard, for that Nirvana will go down as one of the best rock bands of all time. Now could they keep it fresh had Kurt Cobain lived, well that we will never know, but Pearl Jam seemed to survive.

19. Heltik macrumors regular

I still listen to Nirvana a lot, it's so rare that a group of truly great musicians comes together, and Nirvana are without doubt amongst the greatest.

Their music still retains the same freshness that it did then, and there really aren't many tracks that I can say that about, let alone albums. With Nirvana it's true of most of their back catalogue. Absolutely incredible.

The other thing I love is the depth of their sound. I hear so much junk today that I wonder what happened to real music. I take it that you guys have probably bought the Queens of the Stone Age records, they're really worth a listen.

Cheers people.

20. IIvan macrumors regular

Man- Im with you guys on killing Courtney- bitch. And Layne Staley was today to- wasn't such a big deal in the Press because Alice In Chains had been gone fro a long time, but he was really talented too. WHat happened tho probably caused Nirvana to be as popular as they are...true talent snuffed out before its time. Not fancy, in fact very simple songs, but they were still very emotional awesome to listen to...

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I actually still like Alice In Chains, that grunge sound from all of the Seatle rockers is still a lot better than the stuff played today.

22. g30ffr3y thread starter macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

queens of the stone age are pretty good...

pretty much anything nirvana did stands up to the test of time... i have tons of live stuff... b sides... that bitch reading his note to those kids in seatle...

from what i know... kurt was indeed going to end nirvana... but he didnt want to give up music... after unplugged he decided that he wanted to be known as a song writer and play an acoustic guitar... i wouldve loved to hear what he wouldve done...

pearl jam did last... im sure kurt/nirvana would just as much...

layne staley was seen as more of a f-ed up drug addict so i think his death didnt have so much of an impact... you cannot discount the music of alice in chains... it was pretty awesome too...

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Did anybody see Courtney Love on Howard Stern last week, she was so screwed up it was really kind of sad, but than again that is what you expect out of her.

24. IIvan macrumors regular

Damn right! Try comparing Rooster or any of their other stuff like Man in the box, heaven beside you, grind ....etc to POD or Puddle of Mudd (oh look!!!! its mispelled yippee!)...and we could have a whole Rap Rock hate thread here :D

25. g30ffr3y thread starter macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

as if [c]rap werent bad enough on its own... they had to make [c]rap rock too... id post on that hate thread...

the alice in chains unplugged was amazing...