11.6" for uni/college student

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Josh0806, Dec 7, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Jul 14, 2010
    Do you all think a student could easily get by using the 11.6" macbook air as their computer or all their work? I mean its ultra portable and light, (sort of) reasonably priced but is the screen really big enough for that amount of work/ browsing for university work?
  2. macrumors newbie

Oct 15, 2008
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Definitely. Why would you think otherwise?
  3. macrumors newbie

May 30, 2008
    Please define what university "work" means, browsing webpages, yes.
  4. macrumors regular

Jan 11, 2010
    Personal preference, eye strain, and a number of other things will impact the decision on screen size. I think it's a great size for a laptop, bigger than a netbook (certainly more powerful too!) but small enough that you won't mind carrying it to class.

If it's your only computer I'd recommend putting a little extra money into the 11.6", upgrading to 128GB would help as you would inevitably be putting stuff like music on there. 4GB memory is never a bad choice if you can spare the $100, as right now you can't upgrade the RAM after purchase. Upgrading the processor would be lowest priority for me as a hypothetical student, personally.

You can definitely make a case for all the upgrades to the 11.6"; basically, if you can afford it then down the road you'll probably be glad you got the upgrades.
  5. macrumors newbie

May 30, 2008
    Adding a external monitor isn't a bad idea either, I wouldnt recommend writing anything large on a 11.6 or 13.3 display.

I recommend a 24" and external keyboard/mouse.
  6. macrumors regular

Aug 10, 2008
    San Jose, California
    Why? I do it all the time. Call me weird but I actually write my papers in TextEdit and then copy and paste them into Pages, when I'm finished.

I plan on getting an 11.6" too (with maxed out specs, of course). My brother will be getting my MacBook.
  7. macrumors newbie

Jul 18, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I'm actually a college student who just bought an 11" MBA and I love it. I've always preferred taking notes on my MBP, but it was just too heavy, especially since I bike to class most the time. Since I got an MBA I've always brought it to class. I do more work on it than my MBP and it has plenty enough power for research web browsing and word processing. I also use DropBox to keep my homework folders in sync between the MBP and MBA and would highly recommend that.

In short, if you are truly looking for a productivity computer, the MBA is a great bet. It can't do the more intensive things like iTunes/iPhoto library storage or GarageBand/Photo Editing, but for anything research or writing related it's ideal.
  8. macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2010
    I'm a uni student and I loved the 11.6" the moment it premiered.

Also, there's no such thing as eye strain...not in my daily 12-hour sessions on it, anyway. Just because it has a smaller screen doesn't mean people's eyes get affected.

I personally think portability should be the #1 concern for students, and the Air scores perfectly in weight, size, and battery life.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2009
    Student here, 11" as my only computer. Never felt unhappy with the setup.
  10. macrumors 65816

Mar 18, 2009
    Room 101
    11" inches is perfect for most things, I use an external 24" for writing papers, etc.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Dec 22, 2007
    The cesspit of civilization
    Yes... I would imagine it would... I went trough 4 years of postgraduate training with a 12 inches laptop, which I can assure you, was much less capable than the new air...
  12. macrumors 6502a

Nov 9, 2007
    id say i get most of my uni work done on my 11.6mba.

But for me, it's not so much because i perfer it to type on, I can't work in my house at my desk for some reason so I have to go to the library,coffee shop etc.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Jul 16, 2008
    Not a student but I do a lot of document work on my 11 Air with Scrivener. So far no problems and very comfortable. Of course you are talking to a guy who's used a Powerbook 170 with a 9.8 inch black and white screen to write his thesis back in his university years. :)