11 billion years left

Discussion in 'Community' started by joetronic, Mar 25, 2005.

1. joetronic macrumors 6502

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well thank goodness. I had plans. [​IMG]

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Reminds me of the Matt Groenig joke about, when in doubt as to whether or not you should do something, consider how long you are going to be dead.

26 billion years, eh?

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Funny, it's a four month old article and they still haven't fixed the first sentence.

So they use to think it would last 25,999,999,985 years? It seems cosmologists have nailed down the accuracy of their measurements to an astonishing degree.

5. VincentVega macrumors regular

I wonder if Microsoft will have finished Longhorn by then?

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I don't know where these folks got their material, but every physics paper I've read recently indicates that the Big Crunch is NEVER going to happen... there's simply not enough mass in the Universe for gravitational contraction to overcome the current acceleration (fueled by dark energy?) of the galaxies away from each other.

In other words, we ain't heading for a Big Crunch in billions of years... we're heading for a Big Cold in billions of billions of billions of billions of billions of billions of billions of billions of billions of years. (Maybe longer.) The Universe is doomed to end as a cold graveyard of evaporating black holes, and the end of everything will come when the last proton finally decays into its constituent quarks.

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yeah, no kidding! "reveled"? "15 years"? Then, to top if off, they end the sentence in a preposition. Maybe they can spend some of those 15 extra years advertising for an editor. :p

9. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Perhaps Mac's marcet share will have risen to 6.43 % by then...

A

10. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Award - you get the first computer comment in this thread!

No, seriously... Longhorn will be finished... and so will Microsoft!

11. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I agree, the universe is expanding faster and faster every day and it is flat, so wwe don't go in circles, meaning we can go on forever. There is not enough mass for it to be curved and not enough mass for it to stop expanding either.

12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Until they figure out what dark matter is and how it behaves and what it does, they have no idea what effect it has on crunch/expand. And considering how much of the universe seems to be made of the stuff, it could have a big effect. Also keep in mind the big bang has never been anything more than an academic debate because we just don't understand enough yet. I think most physicists would tell you to take all of this with a grain of salt as it is all based on a mere hypothesis.

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Stop that!

Here I sit eating breakfast and spitting up my milk.

Good one! :D

Sushi

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Having spent far too much time studying astro physics I can pretty safely say that a grain of salt is probably the most we could ever get from this article. There are soooo many variables that we don't know about yet. This is all based on theories remember, and theories aren't necessarily facts! ;)

15. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Oh, you're telling that to a bunch of MacRumor addicts? :D

irmongoose