Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

desistyle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
For those of you that bought the 11" MBA as your primary computer, do you think it can fully replace whatever previous machine you were using? Does anyone find the screen too small after long periods of time?

I have a 2008 white macbook that i'm selling today, and I want to get the new 11" air. Just wondering if people are finding it good as their primary machine since it's the only machine I will have.

Thx!

re2st

macrumors regular
May 2, 2007
San Jose, CA
For those of you that bought the 11" MBA as your primary computer, do you think it can fully replace whatever previous machine you were using? Does anyone find the screen too small after long periods of time?

I have a 2008 white macbook that i'm selling today, and I want to get the new 11" air. Just wondering if people are finding it good as their primary machine since it's the only machine I will have.

Thx!

When it comes to the (white) macbook, i think this is a no-brainer already

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
The plastic Mac and the 13" MBP are already so close to one another that it made absolutely zero sense to me to go with the 13" MBP when it was updated this past spring.

Now that the 13" MBA has demonstrated that it can hold its own versus the 13" MBP, I think the only question left for Apple is what market segment are they really trying to address with the plastic Macs?

The 11" MBA is geared towards netbook users who really need little more than word processing and web surfing capabilities. There are some users who may clamor they want it for the size/cuteness factor, and I'm sure thats true, but they'd likely look elsewhere if they couldn't do basic word processing and surfing on the thing. The plastic Macs were aimed at this same group of people..entry level Apple customers, college students, kid/family computer, etc. The 11" MBA sits there as well now, although I think the minuscule screen may make it difficult for some customers to embrace.

But it is always possible that we'll see the plastic Mac remain in the lineup and they will, instead, ditch the 13" MBP since it no longer has a market that isn't being served by another product.

sarah11918

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2010
Canada
I posted elsewhere in a similar thread, but yes, I replaced a late 2008 unibody MB with the 11" and I'm perfectly happy.

Granted, I went 6 weeks between macs and used a 10" Android tablet for those weeks, so you might have to take that into consideration when I say I don't find the screen too small at all! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.