11 year old mac still in service

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Sedulous, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico (AP) -- The shadowy, closely analyzed photo of space shuttle Columbia's underside was not snapped with cutting-edge military equipment, but by three researchers playing around with an 11-year-old Macintosh computer and a home telescope in their free time, officials said Wednesday.

*sweet*... the mac part... the rest is obviously quite unfortunate.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

Hey now, don't you know Apples last FOREVER... as shown by me writing this message on a currently 9 year old 7200/75, that is still running great on OS 8.6.
    Or by the many SEs or Pluses still booting and hanging around at my house. And I am sure there is someone around here who has an Apple ][e hanging around and still working. Here something really cool: http://aurejac.dyndns.org/links.html
    (copy and paste sorry http isn't working for me right now) this a web site running off a Mac Plus!, a 15 year old computer serving up pages on the web.

Even the Bank of America up here in Seattle, still uses the old Triassic era Macs, (System 6, I think I haven't had the time to look at them up close) it seams that there entire system runes off of the old Apples because they are found at all the branches, including behind the counter to access their bank databases.

Apples are built better and has consistently shown how they can that they can make computers that last long past their due, that is why I will always rather go with Apple than any other computer maker.

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Um... system 6 had several problems with databases... why are they still using it... I heard one story about how a person used a computer like that and brought the whole network down. :(

5. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

I don't know... as I said I haven't really looked at the system too well, all I know is that they are defiantly the old 'Creation' era Macs, and the Mac GUI. As for the System I don't know, I assumed 6 being that that is what I am used to on those old computers and that it is free to use, and rather rock solid, esp. compared to latter System incarnations.

Next time I'm in I'll look harder see if I could tell and make sure.
    Can anyone give me a link to the tell signs of the difference between System 6 to 5 or 4...3 ect.?

6. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

The last time I checked, the Powermac 7200/75 was released back in Aug '95.

Feb 2003 - Aug 1995 = 7.5years, not 9 years

7. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

I could of sworn... The last time I looked at http://www.apple-history.com it said '94... Well whoops, my bad, your right, but by any means in the PC world an old computer, and still runs pretty well as long as you use it like a Yugo and don't expect too much out of it. Runs Office 2001 just fine and IE 5 just as well, and adequate for most low-end purposes.

8. charboneau macrumors member

9. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Ahh, I love macs, and love hearing about legacy stuff working great for people. But I am so glad I am running OS X. I gave away most of my older machines that had no real resale value to people that like that kind of thing. But to me most of them just take up space.