110 MSWord viruses found, how to sanitize ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rclear, Feb 17, 2006.

1. rclear macrumors newbie

Hello Mac dudes,

ClamAV worked perfectly to find all the files that were infected by one MSWord macro virus (W97M.Thus.A) but I need these documents for work and cannot just delete them. I can think of a couple work-arounds but I would hope to find a solution that is more direct, more elegant, more…Macintosh.

1 ) Is there a small-name application like ClamAV that can do the actual cleaning of the files ?

2 ) If I am eventually forced to use Virex or Norton, I will refuse to allow them to run in the background as they are resource hogs. Is there a clear way to know if an attachment I receive contains another macro virus ?

[Perhaps a solution to our virus situation, all of us Mac users, is to run ClamAV on a daily schedule using the scheduler included with this cool free virus scanner and then run a virus-killer application when a virus is found.]

Hoping to avoid using Norton or Virex,
    Richard

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

If the files aren't to complex you could open them, copy the text into text edit and then remove the original. I wouldn't save them in a new Word doc because often those word viruses will infect any new docs you make.

The other way would be maybe put them on a PC and clean them there (assuming it has AV software which it should being a PC).

3. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

email them to yourself using Hotmail, Yahoo or G-Mail. It will detect the viruses and offer to clean them.

AppleMatt

4. rclear thread starter macrumors newbie

2 good suggestions

thanks AppleMatt and yippy. Both suggestions seem workable to clean the files. I think I'll try the e-mail one because I'd rather not go near a Windows machine if I don't have to. thanks again.