Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

141348-ipad-2.png

As expected, Apple announced the next generation of its popular tablet device at a media event today. The iPad 2 will have the same 9.7-inch display but will be 33% thinner than the previous model. It will have front-facing and rear-facing cameras and Apple's new 1GHz dual-core A5 processor.With more than 15 million iPads sold, iPad has defined an entirely new category of mobile devices, said Steve Jobs, Apples CEO. While others have been scrambling to copy the first generation iPad, were launching iPad 2, which moves the bar far ahead of the competition and will likely cause them to go back to the drawing boards yet again.With the addition of cameras, the next-generation iPad will be capable of making FaceTime calls with other FaceTime-capable devices. The rear-facing camera can capture 720p HD video. Despite its thinner casing, the iPad 2 will have the same battery life as the first generation of 10 hours and 30 days of stand-by time.

The 3G models of the iPad 2 will be compatible with the GSM networks of AT&T and other carriers as well as Verizon's CDMA network. The versions compatible with Verizon's network will be sold in the U.S. only.

143146-Img0080_500.jpg

Apple has designed new accessories for the next-generation iPad, including cases called Smart Covers and an HDMI adapter. The Smart Covers will attach magnetically to the iPad 2 and will automatically wake the device when opened and put it to sleep when closed.

The iPad 2 will run iOS 4.3 which will be released for other iOS devices on March 11.

The iPad 2 will be available starting March 11 in the U.S. and will come in two colors: white and black. Pricing and capacities have not changed from the first generation of the iPad with the Wi-Fi models coming in at $499 for 16GB, $599 for 32GB, and $699 for 64GB. The Wi-Fi + 3G models will cost $629 for 16GB, $729 for 32GB, and $829 for 64GB.

Article Link: Apple Announces iPad 2: A5 Dual Core, 2 Cameras, Thinner

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Can’t decide if this is an iPad 1.5 or 1.4. Perhaps the name "iPad Lacking" is more fitting. I'll wait for the REAL iPad 2.

Positives
- Size
- Camera
- Speed
- More case options

Negative
- No LP/TB Support (no port or controller) makes this a relic before its even sold
- RAM ???
- No ‘world’ model; its either CDMA or GSM.
- Screen Resolution is the same
- No super-special daylight viewable screen
- Design has not soul
- GPS not on the Wi-Fi model
- No vibration motor for alerts or games

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
I can't seem to find the specs for memory, and I didn't catch it announced in the presentation. Am I missing it, or is it conveniently not being mentioned this time around? Surely it was boosted from 256 MB

And I love Jobs jabs at the competition playing catch up and going back to the drawing board, and the "the competition doesn't get it and is trying to treat this like the pc market in specs" comment. I'm calling it now. iPad 3 will be smoking hot on the inside and beefed up significantly. They might have gotten this baby thinner, but I'm really underwhelmed and not swayed on my temptation to get me some honey fresh from the comb.

ozred

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Thrilling - not so much, but it will do. These frequent updates kill off any true excitement. The iPad is as overexposed as Paris Hilton

masta beta

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2011
Definitely a worthwhile upgrade over the iPad 1. I'd get one if I weren't so cheap. LOL at the haters because their iPad 1 is outdated now.

inlovewithi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Is Steve really good friends with powerful media people?

I turned on the tv earlier today and in a news brief they said, "We're just one hour away from bla, bla iPad?"

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Day 1. I'm sure Apple put more RAM in there, but they dont ever advertise specific specs like that.

AlekNovy

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2010
SUCKS!

I just snapped a photo of my keyboard with my iPod touch. The characters of the keyboard are unreadable on the photo. That's how bad the back camera on the iPod touch is.

And these geniuses decided to take the iPod touch cameras and slap them on the iPad, which has a 10 inch screen?! That has to be a joke! And they have no freaking LED-flash. Unless you're shooting on a beach in mid-summer, most photos and videos shot with it, will be utterly useless.

If they couldn't do cameras right, they shouldn't have done them at all. Even at the 3inch ipod-touch screen your head hurts on how bad the photo you just snapped looks.

On a 10 inch screen the photos this camera produces will make your eyes bleed.

And facetime! Give me a break. With the VGA camera, if you facetime with someone, their face will literally appear as a bunch of blobs.

This is why they only spoke of the cameras and facetime, and didn't demonstrate them. They would have seriously embarassed themselves.

Dewroo

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Tilton, NH.
Can’t decide if this is an iPad 1.5 or 1.4 Or perhaps the iPad Lacking is more fitting. I'll wait for the REAL iPad 2.

Positives
- Size
- Camera
- Speed
- More case options

Negative
- No LP/TB Support (no port or controller) makes this a relic before its even sold
- RAM ???
- No ‘world’ model; its either CDMA or GSM.
- Screen Resolution is the same
- No super-special daylight viewable screen
- Design has not soul
- GPS not on the Wi-Fi model
- No vibration motor for alerts or games

Honestly, why would you even want ports on it.
the only reason i would think of would be a USB Midi controller, but it seems that the touch keyboard is the better option, seeing as it it (Amazingly,) Velocity sensitive.

Islandz

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
Everyone seems to have missed the biggie.

New AirPlay.

Apps streamed now.

Apple just challenged consoles HARD and no one has noticed yet.

My iPhone controller will be able to control apps on my iPad, my Mac, or my Apple TV.

Wow.

Wooow.

How did you miss this? This is HUGE.

boomish

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Well it might not have every connector but the new pin out of this and the iPhone 4 means there are lots of adapters being made for audio and video connection.
Besides I love my iPad 1 and this makes it even better, I for sure will be ordering a new one. But white of black I can't decide..:)

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
This is a pretty nice upgrade, especially for someone who doesn't have an iPad already and may have been waiting to see what this one would bring. However, for me, it doesn't (seem to) address the 3 biggest shortcomings (for my needs) in my wife's iPad 1:

• Memory - it gets especially tiring waiting for Safari to reload pages because it had to dump the cache. Actually, since Apple never advertises iOS device memory, we don't know about this one. I give it about a 75% chance of having 512 MB, but really a gigabyte would be much much better.

• Storage - we got a 16 GB model because of the price point, and it's more than enough for everyday around the house use; but I find myself wishing for much more (at the same price) for an upcoming trip. Both for movies on the plane and for storing photos from the cameras.

• Screen readability in bright light / sunlight. Too bad the rumors about a better display in this aspect, even if the same resolution, didn't come to fruition.

So, no iPad 2 for us. Maybe a discounted refurb iPad 1 might be nice to address the second point of storage, but then I just don't see a need for 2 iPads in the house (the wife uses it 95% of the time, and I'm fine with that). We'll see what comes next year. ;)

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Again, this looks like a traditional apple upgrade for their mobile devices. Personally im a little disappointed, thought we might get a little more news on things other than ipad.

Also, it looks a little suspicious that apple didnt post their RAM and camera specs.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Honestly, why would you even want ports on it.
the only reason i would think of would be a USB Midi controller, but it seems that the touch keyboard is the better option, seeing as it it (Amazingly,) Velocity sensitive.

A port would have been nice, but what I think is critical is a TB controller to take advantage of the speed that the I/O offers. This, as far as can be told at the point, does not have it. Without this, the iPad 1.5 is old before its time.

Kentochan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Virginia, USA
I thought the iPad refresh today was rather significant. Last year, the thing was simply a large iPod touch. It seems like the gap between the iPod touch and the iPad had widened even further because of the refresh (which in my opinion is a good thing). And with the same price, this year's model is much more convincing to buy.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
It was what I was expecting.

I expect that iOS5 in June will also bring some nice OS goodies to the table.

Looks like my daughter will get the 32gb one for her B-Day. :D

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
Almost as heavy. Still no real GPS. Same price is doing me a "favor" with all the competition offering thinner, lighter, cheaper, more open OS? I know we all hate flash, but the reality is 25% of the top 100 pages on the net still use it, so we can either have access to it or not have access, they go with #2 to try and make a statement. Comparing your year-old platform to one that hasn't even been released yet? Wow, Apple w\o Jobs is really tanking quick. This is like the 80s where Apple had everything going for it then just gave it all up to be satisfied with 10% forever. It's all just a mess, this is Android's year.

Queue the flamer responses. It's hard to see Apple fall short this year. I was really hoping they'd wow us with something to give all the new Android tablets a run for the money.

I'm not buying, more for the rest of you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.