Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

123159-blackberry_messenger.jpg

BGR reports that Research in Motion is planning to bring its BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) system to the iOS and Android platforms, expanding the instant messaging system that has been a key feature of the BlackBerry operating system for many years.
According to our sources, RIM has not yet finalized details surrounding timing or pricing, but we have heard that the company might make the software free to all users. We're also told strategy is still being developed, however, and RIM may end up charging users a one-time fee or even a recurring fee for access to its BBM service on third-party platforms.
According to the report, Research in Motion would likely offer a "stripped down" version of BBM to iOS and Android users, allowing them to share text but not photos, locations, and other data included on the BlackBerry version. The company is also reportedly targeting a launch on Android first, with iOS coming a bit further down the road.

Article Link: BlackBerry Messenger Coming to iOS and Android?

toromac

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2008
They're doing this b/c whatsapp essentially offers the same service... and it works on BB, android, nokia and iOS. There is no reason that BB should not open up BBM to everyone. They need to do something to make their phones desirable, because they are quickly becoming a forgotten company in danger of becoming obsolete.

hfletcher

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
UK
A lot of people I know have blackberry's, and one of the big reasons they don't want to switch to an iPhone is because they use BBM so often. I know you can get whatsapp and stuff, but BBM is already on every single blackberry. I would love to see BBM on an iOS device, even if you had to pay for the app.

Not sure if apple's app policy would allow it though?

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC
I sounder how they'll work it? Will they assi PINs to iPhones as well? I'm sure apple will allow it if they allow Kik and whatsapp. No reason why they wouldn't.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
im sure BlacBerry will charge for this, how else will they benefit??

I think BlackBerry will lose sale, most people I know keep their blackberry because of BBM

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
well, at least where I live (France), texts are free and unlimited in 90% of all calling plans and prepaid offers... so you can basically communicate in real time even when you're out of data coverage, even with dumbphones... and when you have data coverage you can send unlimited mms to smart-and feature phones... So I don't really see what's big and new with BBM.
Apart from that, there are already plenty of Gtalk/MSN apps for each and every platforms, allowing you to instantly chat with people on their phones / computers...
am I missing something ?

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
If they slap a really terrible interface to it then it will be just like having a Blackberry. Cool.

That mad me laugh, probably because it's true.

I would probably pay a small (read: sub $5) one-time fee for BBM but there's no way I'd pay any kind of recurring fee, even $5/month. I already pay for unlimited texting so it's really just a luxury.

ednamartin36

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2011
That true. I never likes the BB and there is no use of making their messaging available on iPhone. There are many other applications available like Nimbuzz or Fring to connect with friends.

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
I know a lot of people that have BB's and use BBM. They have BB's because of work or they just HAVE to have a keyboard. When they want to chat with me, they text me. Text plan rates are the biggest ripoff known to man. I would pay for a BBM client for my iPhone 4 that uses data (and very little at that) to be able to chat with BB owners. I would pay up to 4.99 for a BBM App on the App Store.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
im sure BlacBerry will charge for this, how else will they benefit??

I think BlackBerry will lose sale, most people I know keep their blackberry because of BBM

they wouldnt benifit finacially if they gave it away true, but RIM is mad that whatsapp is selling so many copies at 99cents, making money off the whole BBM concept so they are not happy about that

i can see them making it free to try and kill little companies like Kik and whatsapp

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
This is either brilliant or dumb:

It might be dumb because BBM is the killer app for Blackberry, no doubt. For all their talk of super apps, RIM only has one super app: BBM. It sells hardware. What would you rather sell: a $200 - $600 phone (to a carrier) or lots of $5 app. Bare in mind RIM are still selling phones in volume.

It might be brilliant because by getting more people hooked on BBM they are greatly expanding their market reach. And there might be a halo effect with people moving to Blackberry for the premier messaging experience. With many more eyes using their product they could integrate targeted ads as well. This has particular potential for groups all interested in one activity.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
The companies I used to work for - there was a monthly charge for BBM Enterprise per user - hence only District Managers and above got them.

It's not the cellular fee, it's some sort of infrastructure fee to tie your Enterprise System to BBM... (and it was cheaper per seat/month than MS Outlook Mobile - or whatever it was called).

That's why they want to expand to other platforms - $...

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
The only arguments my BBM-loving friends make for the service are that it's faster and you can tell if the other person read your message.

Texting is fast enough for me, and I don't want people to know when I'm ignoring them. So. No thanks.

rayzorboriqua

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
Why doesn't everyone just switch to Kik, which is free?

The whole reason they are even finally moving to multiplatform is cause they are catching on to things like kik. Thats why kik is getting sued. They are tired of people making exact mimicks of their software. So they figure if people are gonna steal their idea and try to go multipatform with it, might as well give them the 1st party app and do it the right way. Look at Pmessenger. That died rather quickly too haha. Its hard for any IM client to compete over facebook now. even AIM died.

Papa Crown

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
I own an iphone and a bb... honestly, I only use the bbm for the group chats, which is something even whatsapp and kik can replace

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
No one uses Kik, it was cool when it first came out but now it's dead. We need a dedicated iOS App like BBM.

jbuck777

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2010
The Great White North
The only arguments my BBM-loving friends make for the service are that it's faster and you can tell if the other person read your message.

Texting is fast enough for me, and I don't want people to know when I'm ignoring them. So. No thanks.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't exactly want to broadcast the times I'm outright ignoring peoples messages :p

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Not to be shallow, but my wife and I use Emoij a lot.

I love how it's built into the Android version of whatsapp. My wife has an iPhone which it works on as well.

If BBM doesn't have these icons, it's dead in the water for us at least...

domness

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Out of my friends, it seems the only good thing a blackberry is for is for BBM.. This is definitely going to decrease the point of having a blackberry now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.