Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

114146-flash_player_system_pref_500.jpg

Alongside its "Wallaby" Flash-to-HTML5 converter, Adobe has also released a beta version of Flash Player 10.3, introducing a number of new features. Among the most notable are enhanced privacy and setting controls that integrate with System Preferences in Mac OS X and with browser preferences.

114146-flash_player_system_pref_2_500.jpg

- Integration with browser privacy controls for managing local storage -- Users now have a simpler way to clear local storage from the browser settings interface - similar to how users clear their browser cookies today. Flash Player 10.3 integrates control of local storage with the browser's privacy settings in Mozilla Firefox 4, Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 and higher, and future releases of Apple Safari and Google Chrome.

- Native Control Panel -- Flash Player 10.3 provides users with streamlined controls for managing their Flash Player privacy, security and storage settings. Windows, Mac, and Linux users can access the Flash Player Settings Manager directly from the Control Panels or System Preferences on their computers.
Also new for Mac users is an update notification system to help users ensure they are running the most up-to-date version of Flash Player. Other general improvements include video measurement analytics and acoustic echo cancellation for improved audio quality in collaborative environments.

Article Link: Adobe Releases Flash Player 10.3 Beta With Preferences Integration

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
I guess it wasn't enough that I had to see their uninstaller in my Utilities folder. Now I have to see their system preference pane too. Just combine them. :rolleyes:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Great! Much better than having to Google "Adobe global security settings" in order to find the Adobe page for changing these settings!

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Cool, but I'm afraid this "notification system" won't keep annoying me with messages that my Flash isn't up to date. And there's like a new version every month, which most of the time changes nothing.

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA
Light a little fire under someone's butt and get some results. Keep working Adobe. Keep working. Progress is what we like to see. It's not the whole olive tree Mr Steve is looking for but it shows Adobe is still committed to the platform. Haven't dl'd and tried it but I promise to give it fair critique later. No blind bashing from me.

Last edited:

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Cool, but I'm afraid this "notification system" won't keep annoying me with messages that my Flash isn't up to date. And there's like a new version every month, which most of the time changes nothing.

I keep getting update notifications for Adobe Acrobat and Flash (on windows) every other week. Bloody annoying. Why can't they just release a version without issues and let me use that. I don't want fancy new features, i just want a stable version of flash i don't have to keep updating!

EDIT: Actually i'd prefer not to have to use flash at all but some sites i visit need it. If they change then good bye flash!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Open and mount the Flash installer .dmg, Cmd+click and select Show Package Contents, look in Contents, then in Resources, then run the Adobe Flash Player.pkg

:)

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003

That's not true, the last few releases have had major improvements.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Does it have a built in flash blocker? That's a feature that would make it useful.

sux2beyou

macrumors member
May 5, 2009
Dear Adobe,

Universal Binary does not mean only runs on intel.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-08 at 12.06.05 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-08 at 12.06.05 PM.png
    169.8 KB · Views: 662

anotherarunan

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
London, United Kingdom (UK)
One, albeit small, step in the right direction. I think a lot of people just fanboy bash flash for stupid reasons. Some critcisisms are genuine though, and I look forward to a time where running flash doesnt make me wonder if my laptop is about to take off and fly to Japan.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Wow, Adobe actually using the System Preferences. I was half expecting them to make a completely new Preferences app that requires you quit Safari and the Finder to use and crashes half the time (see recent Adobe installers for an example).

Thank you, Adobe, for not being completely mediocre. Maybe I'll use your products again one day if you keep this trend with one data point up.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Dear Adobe,

Universal Binary does not mean only runs on intel.

Dear sux2beyou

Universal Binary can mean only runs on intel. Read up on Fat binaries and multi-architecture binaries and how intel supports up to 3 architectures right now, 2 of which are found in Macs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.