Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

161834-apple_logo.jpg

Apple today announced financial results for the first calendar quarter and second fiscal quarter of 2011. For the quarter, Apple posted revenue of $24.67 billion and net quarterly profit of $5.99 billion, or $6.40 per diluted share, compared to revenue of $13.50 billion and net quarterly profit of $3.07 billion, or $3.33 per diluted share, in the year-ago quarter. Gross margin was 41.4 percent, compared to 41.7 percent in the year-ago quarter, and international sales accounted for 59 percent of the quarter's revenue. The numbers represent the best non-holiday quarterly revenue and earnings in Apple history, just missing last quarter's $6 billion profit.

Apple shipped 3.76 million Macintosh computers during the quarter, a unit increase of 28 percent over the year-ago quarter. Quarterly iPhone unit sales reached a record 18.65 million, up 113 percent from the year-ago quarter, and the company also sold 9.02 million iPods during the quarter, representing 17 percent unit decline over the year-ago quarter. Apple also sold 4.69 million iPads during the quarter.
"With quarterly revenue growth of 83 percent and profit growth of 95 percent, we're firing on all cylinders," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "We will continue to innovate on all fronts throughout the remainder of the year."
Apple's guidance for the third quarter of fiscal 2011 includes expected revenue of $23 billion and earnings per diluted share of $5.03.

Apple will provide live streaming of its Q2 2011 financial results conference call at 2:00 PM Pacific, and MacRumors will update this story with coverage of the conference call highlights.

Article Link: Apple Reports Best Non-Holiday Quarter Ever With $5.99 Billion Profit for Q2 2011

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Dear god....

That's absolutely crazy numbers.

Glad I am an apple share holder.

Sky is the limit for Apple tree.

Apple will be trillion dollars company...

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Looking good

Apple's market share of desktops is pretty small, and smaller in the enterprise, but it's high on laptops, very high on the upper end laptops, very high on smartphones, extremely high on portable music players, extremely high on tablets.

And in any case the question is: does Apple make money?

The answer: Yes.

tucker3434

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2009
Great freakin day. I wish I could remember the guy saying to dump shares when it hit $320. "It's officially a bearish stock." Moron.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Another stunning set of results, only thing that anyone might nitpick is iPad sales but considering some were holding on for the iPad 2 and that product was DEFINITELY supply-limited it's still a superb performance and more than doubles their PC sales. Decimates the rest of the tablet space that's for sure and the q3 performance is going to be VERY interesting.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Apple makes nice money off every iOS devices they sell. With App store, iTunes store and iBook store, their Software and hardware sales will grow.

Their MBA sales are growing and those devices aren't cheap.

Apple is going to soon have more than 100 billion dollars in their backyard.

Btw, Apple is going to blow away on next Quarter as long as they can launch iPhone 5 on both AT&T and Verizon. Doubt that they will put LTE chip inside, but it will be available on two of the biggest networks in the US. This will not stop.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
Let me put a $5.99 billion profit in perspective...
With that cash, they could give away 3,995,997 13-inch, 2.7 GHz MacBook Pros (this is based on retail price, I assume it would be 30-40% more at cost)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
AAPL up 3% aftermarket.

I think that was pre-announcement. I read where trading was halted until 4:50 EDT. Still have 7 minutes to see if the "soft" iPad numbers cause the weak hands to sell.

I'm guessing that Apple will drop about 3% from the 4PM close with people focusing on the iPad numbers.

Guess I was completely wrong.

Last edited:

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8H7)

More proof Apple knows the consumer like no one else. Vertical business model FTW.

zep1977

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2011
That classic mike dell quote always flashes through my head on days like this. :)

Glad I bought a good size chunk of AAPL 3 years ago against the wishes of "experts" still stuck in the mid 1990's.

:apple:

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Amazing to see a company of this size continue to grow earnings at this rate.
Smart people running that company.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Apple makes nice money off every iOS devices they sell. With App store, iTunes store and iBook store, their Software and hardware sales will grow.

Their MBA sales are growing and those devices aren't cheap.

Apple is going to soon have more than 100 billion dollars in their backyard.

Btw, Apple is going to blow away on next Quarter as long as they can launch iPhone 5 on both AT&T and Verizon. Doubt that they will put LTE chip inside, but it will be available on two of the biggest networks in the US. This will not stop.

People will pay good money for good sh**! I do. My jcrew giant fit chinos cost $65.00 a pair now. Up from $59.50. But they are well made with an awesome fit. Same for my New Balance 1223s.
And I like that Apple is slow growing. I see that as self preservation. The pc industry is glutted with crap beyond trash. $99.99 pc in Target.LOL! There is no more value in the pc. That game is essentially over.
Now, just let your imagination soar with the idea of an Apple branded smart HD TV with an app store, ipad 3, iphone 5 and a messaging app for the ipad that rivals MS messenger. OMFG!!!!!

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
AT&T Announces 3.6 Million iPhones Activated in Q1 2011, Resists Verizon Surge
Quarterly iPhone unit sales reached a record 18.65 million
AT&T sold 3.6, apple says 18.65. Did verizon sell the rest of the ~15 million? :eek:

EDIT: I am an idiot. There are iPhone selling outside the US too :eek:

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
Three years ago: iPhone revenue = 10 % of Apple's revenue
Two years ago: iPhone revenue = 26% of Apple's revenue
Now: iPhone revenue = half of Apple's revenue :eek:

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Apple's market share of desktops is pretty small, and smaller in the enterprise, but it's high on laptops, very high on the upper end laptops, very high on smartphones, extremely high on portable music players, extremely high on tablets.

And in any case the question is: does Apple make money?

The answer: Yes.

Yeah they're selling tons of MacBooks, 13" MBPs and Airs!

Masterotas

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2011
Hells to the yeah. Only in AAPL since around 330, from around January, but a profit of well over the price of a fully loaded Mac Book Pro makes me one happy person :D :D Only wish I could have gotten in sooner. I know people who are practically wiping their bums with 100 dollar bills thanks to apple stock.

Now for the earnings party :apple: Free apple martinis on me:cool:

What I want to know is who are the 3 idiots who disliked this topic :eek:

Apple to 1000 per share. Lets go!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.