Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

122155-imacs_2010.jpg

9 to 5 Mac reports that Apple has begun delaying iMac orders, notifying customers that shipment of their orders is being pushed back to next week. The move comes ahead of an expected iMac refresh that may be set to occur on Tuesday of next week.
Due to an unexpected delay, we are unable to ship the following item(s) by the date that you were originally quoted:

Z0JP, IMAC 27”/5750/SD
will now ship on or before
May 02, 2011
The report also notes that Mr. X, a source who has provided reliable information to a number of sites in the past, claims that new iMacs should be expected sometime the week of May 2nd.

Separately, we've heard that Apple is planning a change-out in the promotional materials of its retail stores for next week Tuesday, May 3rd. Such shifts are common when Apple rolls out updated models in one of its high-profile product lines as it seeks to capitalize on the publicity and interest. The company generally distributes updated "planograms" showing any changes in store layout, as well as new promotional signage and materials several days ahead of time.

Just over a month ago, CNET's Brian Tong reported that new iMacs were due by the end of April of the first week in May. A May 3rd release would obviously meet that timeline.

Article Link: Apple Delaying iMac Orders, Refresh Due Next Tuesday?

neil1980

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
What about a screen bigger than 21.5" but less than 27"?

Skint at the moment but exactly the above.

I was looking at the 24" and held off for the update when they did the 21.5 and 27.

21.5 is too small for me really and 27 is too big.... 24 would have been the ideal size really so I held off and in the end didn't bother.

Will probably get a 24" monitor and a henge dock or maybe a mac mini instead

danvdr

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2004
iMac + iPad

I've got a 2.5 yr old MacBook that is feeling stretched with Aperture. I've been thinking that an iMac / iPad combination would be a good replacement.

Anyone with experience in getting iPads to work with iMacs (specifically remote access)?

gLaDiAtOr73

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
Do you guys think there will there be another refresh with Lion pre-loaded this summer? Im looking to purchase my first mac but wanted to wait until Lion drops.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
While I realize that this is the wrong place for it, that iMac I just bought is awesome although I was returning it either way for a larger hard drive so the update is best now.

Direct from DVD, it took Handbrake about 20 minutes to convert a movie to iTunes format. So sweet. And that's the lowest end 21 incher.

godknows

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
iMac with thunderbolt! (but I want macbook / macbook pro with hi-res screen more)

No. It will just start shipping with Lion.

Btw, do Apple usually give free updates to customers who bought the computer a time period (say 2 months) before new OS release?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Do you guys think there will there be another refresh with Lion pre-loaded this summer? Im looking to purchase my first mac but wanted to wait until Lion drops.

No. It will just start shipping with Lion.

Best case scenario is that the proximity is close enough that they offer some kind of discounted deal, but I doubt that. (apple has been known to offer discounts for products that are purchased right before product launches, though).

iekozz

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2009
Amsterdam
While I realize that this is the wrong place for it, that iMac I just bought is awesome although I was returning it either way for a larger hard drive so the update is best now.

Direct from DVD, it took Handbrake about 20 minutes to convert a movie to iTunes format. So sweet. And that's the lowest end 21 incher.

My Sony laptop does that in 10 minutes #justsaying

strwrsfrk

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Arlington, VA, USA
Interested

I'm interested to see what ends up in this refresh. My MacBook Pro is great, but a good base iMac option could be appealing. My guesses:

Base 21.5"
Quad Core i7 (2.2GHz?); 2x2GB 1333 DDR3; 640GB 7200RPM HDD; ATI Radeon HD 6670; Thunderbolt, ditch Firewire?; 1920x1080

Fully Loaded 27"
3.4GHz Quad Core i7; 4x4GB 1333 DDR3; 512GB SSD & 2TB 7200 RPM HDD; ATI Radeon HD 6870 (1GB); 2560x1440

hhaydenn

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Australia
On May 3rd, there are a lot of performances in the Apple stores, one performance is a singer called Breanne Duran, who is some what popular so maybe there trying to draw a crowd in to check out the new iMacs p:

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Best case scenario is that the proximity is close enough that they offer some kind of discounted deal, but I doubt that. (apple has been known to offer discounts for products that are purchased right before product launches, though).

They usually offer OS upgrade vouchers after an actual release date is announced for those who purchase systems from the announcement to the release date.

Last edited:

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
Add a third option, 24" with a 16:10 ratio and a matte option. Easier on the eyes and more vertical space. The 27" was murder on my eyes and I had to sell mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.