Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

154057-microsoft_logo.jpg

Six months ago, Apple surpassed Microsoft in quarterly revenue for the first time in nearly 15 years, marking a milestone on Apple's tremendous performance in recent years. But despite being passed by Apple in the revenue metric, Microsoft continued to hold off Apple in quarterly profits due to the high profit margins achievable with its software business.

That finally changed this past quarter, with Microsoft today announcing net profit of $5.23 billion for the first calendar quarter (third fiscal quarter) of 2011. Apple last week reported profits of $5.99 billion over the same period, which corresponded to the company's second fiscal quarter of 2011.

Apple has passed its longtime rival Microsoft in a number of metrics over the past year, beginning with market capitalization back in late May 2010. Apple's market cap is now nearly $100 billion higher than Microsoft's.

Article Link: Apple Beats Microsoft in First Quarter Profit

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

$100B past Microsoft in 1 year is tremendous. Go AAPL!

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Well MS has two games to play on:

1. Tablet/Phone

The tablet/phone is going to be a big deal. If they do well, they are going to generate good profits.

2. Operating System/ Office

Unless and until MS does something new under operating systems, throwing windows 8 is not going to make a big difference. Also, till the time Windows 8 comes out MS's profits are going to decrease.
Kinect is out/ Windows 7 is out - This side is gonna go down.

So till the time Windows 8 is ready MS has to count on the mobile business.

PlutoPrime

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
Something to throw

I hope there are extra expensive chairs lying around Ballmer's office today

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Congrats Apple!

Now if Apple can magically stop the knockoffs from copying it.

I hope there are extra expensive chairs lying around Ballmer's office today

Exactly. Ballmer is going to play donkey kong with his staff soon.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Balmer is thinking early retirement I'm sure. :p

Who would have ever thunk that little old Apple would eventually pass MS?

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Microsoft is still doing very well. They're making the best products they ever have done and as a customer I am very pleased with all of my Microsoft purchases.

- Zune desktop software
- Zune hardware and mobile software
- Windows Phone 7
- Windows 7
- Office 2010
- Office 2011 for Mac
- Xbox 360
- Xbox Live

All great products and deserve to be class leaders if they are not already. I can't think of another company (including Apple) that has put out such a fantastic range of very good products.

redvettez06

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Apple "beats" Microsoft?
But who has the strongest dad? :rolleyes:

ROFL! I totally see what you're saying. Why can't people just avoid fanboyish behavior? Both companies make some great products. Both companies make bad products too. *shrugs*

medster17

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
Switzerland
Congratulations to apple, eventually this day had to come. Microsoft has been slacking off in the past few years and this will make them see the larger picture.

Sent from my iPhone

tripjammer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Well MS has two games to play on:

1. Tablet/Phone

The tablet/phone is going to be a big deal. If they do well, they are going to generate good profits.

2. Operating System/ Office

Unless and until MS does something new under operating systems, throwing windows 8 is not going to make a big difference. Also, till the time Windows 8 comes out MS's profits are going to decrease.
Kinect is out/ Windows 7 is out - This side is gonna go down.

So till the time Windows 8 is ready MS has to count on the mobile business.

Nintendo is gonna kill them in the Console race. They need to come out with the XBox 720 within 6 months of Nintendo's new machine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.