Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

202758-bits-whiteiphone2-blog480.jpg

NYTimes' Nick Bilton compares one of the original white iPhones that never made it to mass production to the official production run, and detailed the slight differences.

- Yellowing discoleration on the original
- Deeper proximity sensor in new model
- Camera sticks out slightly in new model

The original comparison model came from an individual who reportedly purchased the first run white iPhone for $1,000 from a "guy who had connections to the factory that made the phone in China."

Article Link: Original White iPhone vs Released White iPhone

Master Atrus

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2003
Surprise, surprise. There was an issue with the first run and Apple fixed it ... I'm guessing that is why they held it ... :rolleyes:

Sometimes, I think that the conspiracy theories are too much.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
The original is 9 months older so wouldn't you expect it to look older than the brand new one?

no not necessarily. the white iPhone 3GS didn't turn yellow.

but maybe the original white iPhone 4's DID, and that was the problem Apple was trying to fix?

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Surprise, surprise. There was an issue with the first run and Apple fixed it ... I'm guessing that is why they held it ... :rolleyes:

Sometimes, I think that the conspiracy theories are too much.

What conspiracy theories? I'm pretty sure everybody thought "there was an issue with the first run" and that Apple was trying to fix it. That it took them almost a year to do so is the real story, not whether or not they somehow conspired to take pre-orders (but not charge) for a product they were never going to release.

womble2k2

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
London
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

What is even more worrying is how the original was purchased from someone with connections at the factory.

Makes you wonder how many phones make their way through this unofficial, I.e., stolen from Apple, route. If someone is selling them at $1,000 each when they don't have any costs, they could be making a very large amount of money.

Phil

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
The one in the initial picture was just a converted one, so there's no knowing whether or not it's OEM/legit. I'm saying this because the headphone jack isn't white.

netdoc66

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
New Jersey
The original is a fake

The interior of the headphone jack is black and apple color matches the headphone jack interiors to the color of the unit as it in the on on the right. That's not a real white iPhone on the left.:)

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
I pointed out the discolouration last year in the white back glass thread and one apologist kept insisting that it wasn't "milky white" instead of "snow white" when I compared my white back against my Magic Mouse, because the ones that had problems are discarded and made themselves onto eBay. Meh, finally the facts are out there that the initial batches had a yellowish tint :rolleyes:

Regardless, with the pictured headphone jack being black, it's probably one of those converted ones.

Attachments

• attachmentad.jpg
    attachmentad.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 196
  • bits-whiteiphone-custom2.jpg
    bits-whiteiphone-custom2.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 192
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.