Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ifoAppleStore reports that Apple has begun work on a $6.6 million project to revamp the plaza at its flagship Fifth Avenue retail store in Manhattan, home of the iconic glass cube entrance leading to the underground retail space. As part of the project, Apple will be temporarily removing the glass cube to install new pavers on the plaza.

apple_store_fifth_avenue.jpg

Workers reportedly appeared on site last night and began fencing off areas around the store to begin work on the project.
Building permits issued on June 13th state the work will also include removing protective bollards, installing new pavers around the cube's perimeter, and removing and reinstalling surrounding water drains. According to the permits, the work could be finished by early November.
It is unclear whether Apple will be replacing the glass panels of the cube or making other changes to the structure, or simply temporarily removing the cube to facilitate other drainage and paver work on the plaza.

Apple's Fifth Avenue store opened in mid-2006 as the gleaming flagship of the chain, operating 24 hours a day. Despite the company having opened a number of significantly larger flagship stores around the world in the following years, the Fifth Avenue store has maintained its position as one of the busiest and most-visited stores in the company's retail chain.

Article Link: Apple to Upgrade Fifth Avenue Store Plaza, Temporarily Remove Iconic Glass Cube

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
This is truly an amazing store. I passed by there a few times over the past couple of years and it still looks amazing, especially since it is right next to Central Park.

stacks_image_42_1.png

jonhaxor

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2007
This is truly an amazing store. I passed by there a few times over the past couple of years and it still looks amazing, especially since it is right next to Central Park.

I live not too far from there and typically avoid that place like the plague .. (unless I need to pick up a shiny apple widget at 1AM) .. it's always crawling with tourists, and the street vendors have turned it into a sidewalk nightmare on weekends

great location though for apple to attract business - just down the street from 30 Rock on the most heavily trafficked area of 5th ave.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I live not too far from there and typically avoid that place like the plague .. (unless I need to pick up a shiny apple widget at 1AM) .. it's always crawling with tourists, and the street vendors have turned it into a sidewalk nightmare on weekends

great location though for apple to attract business - just down the street from 30 Rock on the most heavily trafficked area of 5th ave.

Same here, I live and work nearby and that place is a tourist attraction.. it's always so full in there with gawkers and tourists buying ipod shuffles just to say they bought something there. Then you have a bunch of kids from nearby schools or just hanging out in the summer, so playing with any of the machines before making a purchase is nearly impossible.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point

We the tourists dump lots of money into your fantastic city. I will admit that when I am in NYC, I also avoid the tourist traps. When I need to pick up a shiny Apple Trinket, I usually go to the store around 60 something and Broadway. (I like the dog bowl filled with water they keep by the door.)

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
This is where I first saw the iPhone 4 in person back when it was only out in US, during my visit to NYC. :D

Malty

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
Proud to say i've visited last year. Didn't know it was open 24/7 though. You learn something new everyday

macse30

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2009
Remove all that to replace some pavers? Right, and I got your iPhone6 for you right here.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC

Oh, I know. I never go inside or on that side of the street. If I need to go to an Apple Store while in the city I go to SoHo or West 14th street. But I live on Long Island so I usually go to Roosevelt Field or Manhassset.

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
I say it's fine as it is. I love the idea of upgrading an already amazing store, but, ****... in this economy give us a break on the product price instead of spending it on non-essential curved glass.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I do hope that the keep the cube and not go to a Louvre-style pyramid.
There's something really '2001 Monolith' about the cube that just grabs you when you first see it.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Same here, I live and work nearby and that place is a tourist attraction.. it's always so full in there with gawkers and tourists buying ipod shuffles just to say they bought something there. Then you have a bunch of kids from nearby schools or just hanging out in the summer, so playing with any of the machines before making a purchase is nearly impossible.

So go to the one in the Meat Packing district.
5th Ave store is meant to be a zoo. Its a landmark.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
so let me straight...I'm about to go to new york for the first time in my life, and the apple cube isn't even gonna be there? Wow, that's awesome

room237

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2008
Queens, NYC
They need to redesign the entrance. You have people standing around that MUST experience the elevator as if it were a ride at Disney, so they block the flow of the stairs while they wait. The congestion is mind boggling at times. I hate to blame the tourists, but they don't seem to understand the flow of things there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.