Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

amazon_logo.jpg

DigiTimes reports that Amazon is set to launch its own tablet device within the next few months, adding yet another iPad competitor to the mix, but one with the ability to deliver significant media integration due to its existing businesses in the music and video markets. According to the report, Amazon is trying to bring the device to market well ahead of the holiday sales rush and will be shooting for aggressive shipments of 700,000-800,000 units per month with a goal of selling four million units before the end of the year.
The timing of launch is to meet the peak sales period prior to Thanksgiving in the US and the year-end holidays in the US and Europe, the sources pointed out.

Amazon adopts processors developed by Texas Instruments, with Taiwan-based Wintek to supply touch panels, ILI Technology to supply LCD driver ICs and Quanta Computer responsible for assembly, the sources indicated.
The report specifically mentions that Amazon will integrate streaming movie services with the new tablet, although the company's new Cloud Player for music should also make it simple for tablet owners to listen to their music on the device. It is unknown what platform Amazon will use for its tablet, but most observers presume that the device will be based on Android considering Amazon's existing offerings for the platform such as its Appstore for Android.

While competitors have been slow to react to the iPad's success and even in aggregate have still been unable to dethrone Apple's tablet from its dominant market position, new tablets are now appearing on a regular basis with most of the major computer and electronics players staking out their positions. And like Amazon, other companies such as HP are doing what they can to duplicate portions of Apple's integrated iOS ecosystem by moving to cloud-based media services that will allow music and other content to be easily accessed across devices.

Article Link: Amazon Set to Step Up as Next iPad Competitor

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
App store - check
Online Music store - check
Kindle books store - check
Cloud - check

The only thing missing really is the hardware and they are good to go.

They have built up the ecosystem before the device rather than other companies building the devices and slowly building the ecosystem.

It is an obvious step for Amazon.

Did anyone actually use the Kindle? The only good thing it brought us so far was the Kindle App...which runs on iPhones/iPads/OSX

The Kindle is a steallar reading device. Great at what it was designed to do.

I bought one about a month and a half ago for my fiancee and the screen still amazes me.

hexagonheat

macrumors member
May 1, 2010
Did anyone actually use the Kindle? The only good thing it brought us so far was the Kindle App...which runs on iPhones/iPads/OSX

Actually... yeah. It is one of Amazon's best selling, if not THE best selling product.

The Kindle App isn't great for reading on LED screens. Once you experience e-ink and read for 2+ hours or in sunlight then you'll understand. Plus battery life that is measured in weeks and not hours is pretty darn great as well as free wireless integration.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I know loads of people with Kindles. People who usually read a lot of books and hate it on a backlit screen.

if Amazon could do a tablet that lets you somehow switch between e-ink and nice lcd type thing then I can see there being a market.. if it's just another iPad me-too device i don't see it doing well at all.

the-oz-man

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
I'll be curious if Amazon can even produce that many tablets (let alone sell that many) thanks to Apple buying up contracts on virtually all touch display manufactures.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
This will be the best-selling tablet after the iPad. Huge customer base, loads of happy Kindle-users, great company reputation, they have the essentials in place as xUKHCx already mentioned.

Yep, this will be big. iPad big? Doubtful. But it will be successful as long as the hardware doesn't blow.

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
Well, this tablet will likely loose some of what people LOVE their Kindles for, which is the e-ink and how light weight it is.

Nevertheless, the stock market will drool over this, likely sending AMZN's multiple over 100. Whatever Wall street.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
4 Million?

Unless they are pricing this thing around 200 dollars to compete with ipad 2, I don't see this happening. What OS will it run on... anyway?

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Did anyone actually use the Kindle

You're joking, right? The Kindle is HUGELY successful. And no, it does not compete against the iPad unless you only compare 1 single feature: reading a book (not a website...not a magazine...not an email...etc)

deggs37

macrumors member
May 23, 2006
Ohio
Some of you should step outside of your apple bubble every once in a while. It may do you some good to get fresh non-apple controlled air. Yes there is life in electronics outside of the iWorld. People really do buy non apple things. I know, it's a crazy world we live in.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Barnes & Nobles is way ahead of them with the Nook Color.
Interesting the article doesn't mention B&N.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
you can tell easily who has used a kindle and who hasn't just by their comments here.

it's my favorite new device in the last 4-5 years. I use my kindle much more often than I use my ipod these days.

In fact, we might be getting another one, because my wife and I keep fighting over it.

The kindle isn't really an ipad competitor. And the ipad isn't a kindle competitor.

This new device should be interesting.

And yes, it will run on Android. If they work out some kind of limited free 3G/4G thing like the Kindle has, they could actually make a dent.

I regularly use the Kindle's free 3G browser on road trips, since we refuse to pay 100/month for a cell phone w/data plan.

The next kindle will probably be $99, with better features all across the line. This tablet of theirs will probably be $299

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
A company that figured out that what you actually do with a tablet matters more than the hardware specs?

This'll be the first competitor that Apple needs to worry about, I bet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.