Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

app_store_ipad_100k.jpg

As noted by MacStories, Apple's App Store has reached yet another milestone offering, now offering over 100,000 iPad-specific applications.
Apple and third-party developers have set a new record: in 453 days since the original iPad came out on April 3, 2010, the App Store has more than 100,000 iPad-exclusive apps available. Either specifically targeting the tablet, or released as universal updates to existing iPhone apps, at the moment of writing this there are 100,161 iPad apps in the Store. How do I know? The App Store app itself on my iPad shows that.
Our sister site AppShopper, which tracks iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac App Store apps, currently has the available iPad app count at just over 106,000, as it relies on a slightly different recording method supplied by Apple's API for tracking App Store apps.

Apple currently offers over 400,000 total apps in its iOS App Store, and over 5,000 more in its Mac App Store.

Article Link: App Store Tops 100,000 Available iPad Applications

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Grats to Apple. I'm tempted to get an iPad actually in replacement of my old Vaio that died. I'm using a IBM Thinkpad at the moment, but I'm only borrowing it.

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
Soon, we will have more iPad apps than Android has apps.

It will happen soon. The iPad alone will have more applications than Android. The Android Market will be the 3rd largest applications store front.

iPhone App Store
iPad App Store
Android Market

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Too bad about 93,000 are garbage.

You are being way to kind there. If more than 1000 apps on the market are not garbage I would be surprised.

It will happen soon. The iPad alone will have more applications than Android. The Android Market will be the 3rd largest applications store front.

iPhone App Store
iPad App Store
Android Market

Umm you do know that Android market is collecting more Apps per day than the Apple App store.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
I'm actually shocked it took this long. With all of the structure in place now, I would just assume that most app makers would have ported their iphone apps over. Getting us to 100K way faster.

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Grats to Apple. I'm tempted to get an iPad actually in replacement of my old Vaio that died. I'm using a IBM Thinkpad at the moment, but I'm only borrowing it.

As long as you have some access to a PC, Do it! There are some things you can't do on it, but 95% of normal home stuff, checking banks, web surfing, FB, MR, etc... are doable. Plus it's battery is all-day and it's ultra portable and easy to take around with you.

thomaus

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2007
This story motivated me to go to the iTunes store and poke around. I got real confused on the Top Grossing iPad Apps page. A significant number of the 200 top-grossing apps were Free. I'm assuming that in-App purchases count for grossing figure. But that's like the movies counting popcorn sales in their box office figures -- isn't it?

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
Why are they described as "iPad-exclusive"?

I thought they were simply iPad-compatible (ie: they do not load at 320x240 on an iPad). Having the same app available on an iPhone (as a Universal binary) or even available on Android device hardly makes them "exclusive".

I know for example "X-Men" is an iPad-native app. It also loads up on iPhone/iPod Touch, and you can download it for Android. I'm sure it's counted in the "100,000+ iPad exclusive" list.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
You are being way to kind there. If more than 1000 apps on the market are not garbage I would be surprised.

Umm you do know that Android market is collecting more Apps per day than the Apple App store.

but it's all live wall paper, a$$ and stripper wall paper and various incantations of launcher pro so people can use their own skins

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
What a world we live in where Apple's 100k apps are all excellent, but a rivals that has more new apps a day are all awful.

Apple saw that coming and introduced a policy of no more fart apps some time ago.

You can still submit them to Android Market. Maybe that's why?

Only thing I know is the app charts on Android are quite depressing.

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008

It took Andriod 30 months to get to 200,000 apps. It took the App store 21 months.

It took the App store 16 months to get to 100k apps it took Android 24 months. At this rate the iPad is outpacing both app stores.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.