Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Rules:

1. You may only submit one photo per contest.

2. Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.

3. The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

4. At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

5. The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest.
(Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

Topic: Golden Ratio (composition technique)

Last edited:

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Can you edit the topic to include the contest topic in it? It got left out.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm 13 so only a very very very amateur photographer. Anyway, here is my entry (first one ever!):

DSC_0012.jpg

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
stairs2.jpg

Looking down the stairwell at Old Point Loma Lighthouse, San Diego, California
1/40s, f/3.5, ISO 1000, 10mm
Canon EOS Rebel T2i + EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

This photo has two examples of the golden ratio... the stairwell approximately follows the Fibonacci spiral and the framing uses the golden ratio.

Waybo

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
New Hampshire
Man mimics nature –– 1:1.618

Bananas and banana stand demonstrate the Fibonacci Spiral, while the entire composition is based on the Golden Ratio.

5928503270_1eeec669cd_z.jpg

ISO 400, 23 mm, 1 ev, f/4, 1/20.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Submissions are closed. Judging will be done this evening. I know this was a hard topic.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
And here we go:

Waybo - This is an interesting use of the golden ratio and shows that this design can be found anywhere. Great lighting and nice composition.

acearchie - a nicely composed photo, but there was something lacking. It could just be the lighting, but it's a nice photo of the sunset.

Chappers - amazingly you captured the great size of this structure. I actually found myself staring at this one for a while.

Ravaroo - there was something off on this image. I'm not sure if it's the white balance or the composition.

jabbott - amazing image. I'm a sucker for b&w images. I'm a double sucker for spiraling staircases. I can never take this photos myself due to my fear of heights and vertigo. Great shot.

cambookpro - great use of the DOF. Excellent colors and light.

1st - Jabbot
2nd - Chappers
3rd - Waybo

I know this was a hard subject and after posting it, I realized I should have changed the topic. I was surfing the web looking at all of the amazing images with this composition and wanted to see what this forum had. Otherwise, great photos by those who contributed.

Congrats to Jabbot. You have 48 hours to post the next topic.

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Good job jabbott - cracking shot and a deserved winner. A very difficult week and a real challenge - we need a challenge from time to time to make us think about our shots a little - so to come second for me is a great result.

Thank you to Razeus for the judging and for the test.

Waybo

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
New Hampshire
Thank you, Razeus, for choosing such an interesting topic. I must confess: I had not heard of the Golden Ratio or Fibonacci Spiral before this contest. It took a bit of research to understand the concept enough to be comfortable working with it, but, once I understood it, I fell in love with it! It's a shame that there weren't more people who took advantage of this opportunity. Thanks, again, for introducing me to this fascinating technique.

Congratulations, Jabbot!

Waybo

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
New Hampshire
Golden Ratio 101

In the hopes that it might help someone else become interested, here is the grid that I used to compose my shot. The Golden Ratio is 1:1.618, and is found repeatedly in nature. Man's eye finds it very pleasing, and it is also frequently used in architecture, including the Parthenon. There are also many ways in which this ratio is found within the human body. The ratio can also be built to form a spiral, often called the Fibonacci Spiral. Interesting topic! :)

The Rule of Thirds is a simplified version of the Golden Ratio.

5939561161_c770a1169f.jpg

Last edited:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
It seems that I forgot fcortese's entry. That is because I can't see his image on my Firefox, IE, or Chrome or Safari browser for some reason. I'm at work so whatever image hosting service that's being used is blocking it perhaps. I'll update this section tonight when I get home. My apologies.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
It seems that I forgot fcortese's entry. That is because I can't see his image on my Firefox, IE, or Chrome or Safari browser for some reason. I'm at work so whatever image hosting service that's being used is blocking it perhaps. I'll update this section tonight when I get home. My apologies.

I was wondering that myself! I use Image Shack to upload my pictures and run Safari and the photo shows up there. However, at my office we run Firefox and it wasn't showing up so I thought it was just our firewall getting in the way. Curious. :confused: Anyway, congrats to jabbott (very compelling photo) and all of the other entrants. Here's my entry again, maybe it'll get through:

originalmine50920110709.jpg

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I was wondering that myself! I use Image Shack to upload my pictures and run Safari and the photo shows up there. However, at my office we run Firefox and it wasn't showing up so I thought it was just our firewall getting in the way. Curious. :confused: Anyway, congrats to jabbott (very compelling photo) and all of the other entrants. Here's my entry again, maybe it'll get through:

Still can't see it. My office is blocking it. This is why I stopped using imageshack. I not use imgur.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Ok, I got a PM on the image. Here it is:

fcortese.jpg

fcortese - I'm so sorry I wasn't able to view this image for the judging. And honestly I don't recall seeing the image when I was checking in on this thread throughout the week. Again my apologies. This is certainly a strong image.

To include this image for the rankings for this week image:

1) Jabbott
2) Fcortese
3) Chappers

I hope everyone accepts these new rankings. I'm sorry for the confusion and the mess everyone.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Ok, I got a PM on the image. Here it is:

fcortese.jpg

fcortese - I'm so sorry I wasn't able to view this image for the judging. And honestly I don't recall seeing the image when I was checking in on this thread throughout the week. Again my apologies. This is certainly a strong image.

To include this image for the rankings for this week image:

1) Jabbott
2) Fcortese
3) Chappers

I hope everyone accepts these new rankings. I'm sorry for the confusion and the mess everyone.

Thanks! It's a honor to make my first top 3! And thanks for the gracious offer of jabbott to hold off on the judging until my entry was reviewed. On to the next topic. Congrats again to all and thanks razeus for judging

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.