Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, DigiTimes reported that Apple was looking at diversifying its production for the iPad by bringing on a second manufacturer in Pegatron or Quanta to join Apple's longtime iOS device partner Foxconn. According to the report, Apple has been interested in moving to a multiple-partner arrangement in order to minimize risk of disruptions such as those caused by an explosion at a Foxconn plant earlier this year that temporarily shut down all of that company's polishing lines.

ipad_2_hand.jpg

But as shared in a new report from DigiTimes today, Foxconn has apparently persuaded Apple not to bring on a second manufacturer, taking steps to secure itself as the sole production partner for the next round of iPad manufacturing.
Apple has reportedly been trying to add a second manufacturer for iPad 3 in addition to Foxconn, with Pegatron indicated to be the potential contender, the sources noted.

However, Foxconn has exerted its efforts to protect its orders and apparently has persuaded Apple to not shift some of its iPad orders to other contractors for the moment, the sources added.
For its part, Pegatron is reportedly gearing up to compete for production of the fourth-generation iPad down the road, as well as for Mac production. Pegatron already manufactures the CDMA iPhone 4 for Apple and has been said to be lined up for the next-generation iPhone as well.

Article Link: Apple Backtracking From Plans to Diversify iPad Manufacturing Partnerships?

illitrate23

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2004
uk
Is it really possible to 'backtrack' on something that hasn't been officially announced and is only a rumour?
If so, then I'm current backtracking on my plans to win last night's lottery :D

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/9A5259f Safari/6533.18.5)

Discounts anyone?

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Is it really possible to 'backtrack' on something that hasn't been officially announced and is only a rumour?
If so, then I'm current backtracking on my plans to win last night's lottery :D

Seriously. Today: "Apple plans on installing death ray in iPhone 5." Tomorrow: "Apple nixed plans on adding death ray in iPhone 5."

EDIT: Whenever I read things like this, I think the story really should read "DigiTimes realized it got bad info and is backtracking on posting it."

itsalexaye

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Michigan
Seriously. Today: "Apple plans on installing death ray in iPhone 5." Tomorrow: "Apple nixed plans on adding death ray in iPhone 5."

EDIT: Whenever I read things like this, I think the story really should read "DigiTimes realized it got bad info and is backtracking on posting it."

ha thats a good one, and probably true!

eghedini

macrumors newbie
Makes sense Apple look for another manufacturer for iPad, but also makes sense they change their minds since Foxconn is setting up a plant in Brazil to start manufacturing the iPad in november. The operations should have started in end june / beginning of july, but this move may mean that will be less assemble and more manufacturing.:apple:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Whenever I read things like this, I think the story really should read "DigiTimes realized it got bad info and is backtracking on posting it."

Exactly. There are some Apple rumors that are true at some point in time (when they are reported) and then things change and the source appears to have bad information. There are also some rumors that were never true to begin with and came from a bad source. However, it seems some of the outlets reporting the rumors like to chalk up the ones that turn out to be wrong to "Apple had a change of plans" rather than "My source was bad" more often than not. Gruber did a great piece on this earlier this year entitled "The Eleventh Hour".

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again

So true. As long as it gets lots of hits for ad revenue right?

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
At the risk of coming off like a conspiracy theorist, could it have been a controlled leak by Apple with the objective of better negotiated terms with Foxconn?

If it wasn't, I'd lean toward eghedini's explanation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.