Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

flash_player_installer.jpg

Earlier today, Adobe made waves with a statement in a tech note outlining issues with Adobe products running on OS X Lion by claiming that Lion may have dropped support for hardware acceleration of Flash Player content.

Adobe has now issued a correction retracting that statement and noting that OS X Lion does in fact offer the same level of hardware acceleration as found in Mac OS X Snow Leopard.
The final release of Mac OS X Lion (10.7) provides the same support for Flash hardware video acceleration as Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6). The previous "Known Issue" described in a tech note suggesting that video hardware acceleration was disabled in Lion was incorrect and based on tests with a pre-release version of Mac OS X Lion that related to only one particular Mac GPU configuration.
Adobe notes that it continues to "work closely" with Apple on bringing a high quality Flash experience to Mac users. Apple has, however, famously tried to distance itself from Flash, opting not to include any Flash support on its iOS devices and dropping pre-installed Flash Player from its Mac machines. Apple has instead advised Mac users to download Flash Player themselves if they wish to have it installed, thereby ensuring that they are immediately running the most recent version of the software.

Article Link: Adobe Retracts Claim Suggesting Lion May Lack Support for Flash Hardware Acceleration

vintageapple

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
come on apple. Just give us flash already. I dont care if I have to charge my iphone an hour earlier!

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Adobe has made themselves look like fools.
The betas for Lion have been out for a while.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
WTF Adobe?

How in the world were they not sure whether hardware acceleration worked or not. it's like they downloaded Lion along with the rest of us.

P.S. Will be hilarious to see all this people bashing apple in the last thread respond here.

RobBookPro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
So in other words, adobe spent more time writing the tech note then investigating the issue. Yep, sounds like adobe.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Adobe CEO Shantanu Narayen continues to blame everyone but Adobe themselves for Flash's craptacular performance. Even then, they don't retract what they claimed until people dug into Lion and Flash and proved Narayen was lying.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2004
Im currently using the Flash 11 (64-bit) beta with Lion and Safari 5.1 and my experience is very enjoyable. Very low CPU usage, very smooth - high quality frame rates.

:)

Mac-Mariachi

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
Say what?!?

C´mon Adobe, what kind of company are you? You didn´t even take the time to test your software with the latest builds? Seriously, what kind of company are you?

rlhamil

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
Apple has instead advised Mac users to download Flash Player themselves if they wish to have it installed, thereby ensuring that they are immediately running the most recent version of the software.

Given Adobe's apparent quality control issues, aka using the public as unwitting beta testers, if one needs their versions of a Flash player or PDF reader, getting the latest probably isn't a bad idea. ISTR other OS's that Adobe sort of supported also having problems packaging Flash or Acrobat Reader with the OS, due to those versions being found to be buggy by the time the OS CDs were pressed.

ChainsawBuddha

Cancelled
Jul 2, 2008
Texas
Yeah then don't get an iPad, everybody got their own priorities.

Here's the problem. Regardless of where you stand on the issue Apple shouldn't restrict users from Flash. If I buy a product I should be able to use it how I want. They can choose not to pre-install it but I should still have the option. Adobe and Apple need to take a week long vacation together, make love and get back to where they were before. Steven just take them back.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
I knew it

Hey, you don't toss out a nasty and untrue rumor based on company gossip, no doubt, when you're a major corporation with its crap together. If you have a problem with a former partner, you keep it inside. If there really is a problem, you communicate with the partner. If, in fact, there really is a problem with Lion, and you've done you're level best to work with Apple, and some kind of strong-arm tactic is going on? Then you get somebody who knows what's up to post this note. You get your CEO to write, ahem, an open letter to Steve if you want.

But this is the kind of foot-fault that happens when your company culture is set on blaming Apple, not hiring the best programmers to write them an HTML 5 Dreamweaver in native, fast code on each platform, you're not keeping up. Yeah, in 1996, it's hard to blame Adobe for slowing upgrades to the Mac, and dropping some important programs altogether. Apple was going to die, almost certainly. The other day I saw a Bell & Howell camera, and saw that somebody had bought the brand name to sell some digital crap camera. Sigh. That could have been Apple.

But making decisions to make Apple a second-class citizen based on the market makes no sense now. Lion's a great platform. If they program according to the book, and forget about all that cruft they've accumulated, it will be a big win for them, because Apple is rising in marketshare.

Lopes

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Here's the problem. Regardless of where you stand on the issue Apple shouldn't restrict users from Flash. If I buy a product I should be able to use it how I want. They can choose not to pre-install it but I should still have the option. Adobe and Apple need to take a week long vacation together, make love and get back to where they were before. Steven just take them back.

Sure, you can have that option. And you can have twelve boulders of granite affixed to your car on your way to the store to buy this flash compatible iPad, and let's see if you make there with enough gas. Have fun with that.

It's ABHORRENT that adobe's products haven't worked well with major Apple OS upgrades at time of release for years now. It's not like they're in the dark. The developer builds are out there. They can get **** together in time to at least have a coherent update schedule. Their press releases from yesterday are the equivalent of shrugging their shoulders, like they never saw Lion coming.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Glad to see the world's graphic designers can depend on Adobe for accurate information.

Seriously, do you guys stay on top of anything? Is the whole staff made up of middle-aged people that can't keep up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.