$1199 Powerbooks! A Good deal or Not?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by shane-o-mac, Feb 13, 2005.

1. shane-o-mac macrumors regular

shane-o-mac

With the new powerbook updates, it is now possible to pick up the 1.33G4 Combo drive 12"powerbook for just under $1200 with an EDU discount. What do you guys think? A great deal on a fast and worthy machine? Or an investment in a piece of hardware that is obsolete? Are the new upgrades on the current powerbook worth the cash?

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

It depends entirely on what you want to use it for.In general for the normal user its more economic to stay just behind the leading edge. Because of that I'd say its a good deal. Keep in mind I'm not following prices that closely.

3. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

my friend has a Rev B 1ghz powerbook that is still running beautifully. he uses Final Cut Pro and Web Designs extensivly (Photoshop and such).
    a 1.33ghz PB for 1199 is a very good deal, depending on what you are doing with it. I think it should be fine for nearly anything you throw at it. my 1.5ghz PB runs EXCELLENT, and im constantly running it at full capicity... Final Cut Pro, Motion, DVD Studio Pro and all that fun stuff, and it works great!

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Just keep in mind that with the 4th (D) reversion, Apple has now had 4 chances to get it right. That said I would think Apple could/should of worked out all the bugs the thrid time around. I personally think the new trackpads, and HD's are worth the extra money, but if You dont think you will use the features, then i'd say 1200 for a PB is a pretty darn good deal.

5. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

I use the 12" 1.33 for my schoolwork (Biomedical engineering), and it suits my needs well. For that price, it's an excellent computer - I paid $200+ more for mine.

MP

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I adore the new trackpad capability. I think it's going to be one of those things you really miss when it's not around...

7. railthinner macrumors regular

it's a steal compared to what you could get a year ago for the same price and it's pricey for what you'll be able to get a year from now at the same price (hopefully)

edit:
    let me add to that --
    this is the way it is, the way it was, and the way it shall be

Jobs has spoken.