12:05

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by tazo, Aug 19, 2003.

1. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

It's 12:05 am on the West coast, Apple home, and yet there is still a picture of the g5 box.

I guess it its official: no powerbooks.

2. tazo thread starter macrumors 68040

tazo

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

12:10am. I'd better not go to bed in case they are just about to announce the new PowerBooks. I'll simply stay awake from now until the announcement, even if it takes hours, or days, or weeks, or months!

:D ... :) ... :p ... :eek: ... :confused: ... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

A lot of the time the new updates don't happen until 9-10am.

5. pretentious macrumors regular

pretentious

I've always noticed they announced new products more around 4 or 5:00 AM not 12, although I could be wrong.
    I usually work through-out the night here on the west-coast, so on my breaks I always check MR and Apple about 4 or 5. And so the frinzy going over the closing of the online store is just beginning about then.

I think you guys are right though it's 4:20 AM and no closing of the store or anything else.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't worry...

No new G5 laptops.

No new XC7457 laptops with bigger caches.

Say hello to the newest version of the XC7455 rev3.4 and sporting a last letter of "G"

Yes you new PowerBook will be just a bit faster, but it's the same 7455 you know and love -- with a few less bugs, and a tad more speed.

Ain't life in the slow lane grand?

;)

7. mim macrumors 6502

Ah Sunbaked - you had me, I even looked!

Needless to say though, you still may be right. We'll just not know today though.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Who is joking... ;)
    Heck even this rev G intro doc mentions the chip in the PowerBook 12 (XC7455ARX867WF) is a device affected by the intro of this new mask.

You can even download the 7455 Qualification report (now with 7455 rev 3.4 included)

Or the MPC7450 Family Chip Errata for the MPC7455 and MPC7445 added the rev 3.4 to it's list.

---

Still seem like a joke?

9. jzieske macrumors regular

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Is anyone here actually going to buy one or is it just curiousity that you're all worried about the PowerBook?

Usually Apple releases new hardware around 9 AM EST, so if its not out be now, it probably won't be today.

D

11. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

Don't they usually announce things 9am ish PST? I mean that's where they are PST and I usually see new product announcements when I get back from lunch at noon.

MacBoyX

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've always seen them at 9AM my time - I can't imagine that they've managed to have 9 AM release times per time zone. That just wouldn't make any sense.

D

13. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Geesh guys. Its like crack addicts but with tech :p

*walks up to a shady looking guy on a street corner looking over his shoulder*

“You got em?”

“Ya I got your G right here.”

*He hands over the G5*

“What about the RAM”

“You sure your good for it?“

“DAMN IT MAN YOU KNOW I AM!!! GIVE ME MY FREAKING…”

*The dealer reaches for his pocket* “ Don’t F with me. I got your RAM. You give me my money and you got it.”

*hands over the money*

“Do you deal in cat?”

He!! No. I don’t deal in soft.”

These are the results of a very bored person Tuesday morning.
    :D

14. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

8:27 here in the west coast and not powerbooks...Nothing today people, maybe another tuesday...

15. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Apple will update when they feel like it... usually 9am or 12pm Pacific Time. The reason, is most people aren't at their computers before 9am, and most news wires on the west coast of the US aren't looking for news yet.
    And its Tuesday or Saturday because those are usually slow news days.

TEG

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I'm buying one today, postponed from last Tuesday. It's 9am and there is nothing new, so I'm no longer waiting for rumors to come true.

My only question: Should I buy from the university bookstore or buy from an Apple Store? The university deal would save me about $70 after tax and shipping, but if I buy from Apple and they announce new PowerBooks this week or next week, I would probably be able to switch to the new model under a "grandfather clause". In other words, should I buy "announcement insurance" for $70?

17. jzieske macrumors regular

I would like to be the first to start the rumor that new Powerbooks are coming NEXT Tuesday.

(Of course I have no idea but I do not think anybody else does either.)

18. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Buy from Apple education online. Then you get the discount and the return potential.

Oh, and yes I am waiting to buy also. Me and my wife have been waiting for 6 months and my dad is looking and a friend of his is waiting also. So when Apple finally releases they have at least 3 sales.

19. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

I'm actually considering a 12" PowerBook, depending on the new specs. However, if they won't come out soon (or the update is not worth mentioning performance-wise), I'll probably settle for a G4 desktop.

20. Keith Purfield macrumors regular

I have the same answer as Crez to that question, except I'm deciding between a 12" PowerBook and a G5.

I really should go give that job application in...

21. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I don't want to start a comotion here, but I just got back from Micro Center (here in Boston) and the 12" PB they had on display that was running a demo was really hot- like bordering on painful. I don't own a 12" so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but I personally would never buy a laptop that got that hot. Granted though, the iBooks were up there (temp wise) as well as the 17", but the 12" takes home the blue ribbon.

22. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I burnt my hand touching the lower left corner of the 12" PowerBook at CompUSA a couple of months back...I kept reading about how they got hot but figured it was all exagerated...until I touched it and got two heat blisters from that damn thing...never going to get a 12"...no way.

23. mim macrumors 6502

Well I am damnit - it's so bloody cold here at the moment. Australians don't know a damn thing about "insulation" in their buildings. I want the hottest PB there is, and I want the fan to exhast forwards to it warm me as I use it. Fed up with Melbourne. Give me a 12" toaster now.

If only the iPod got hot enough, I could wear a couple of them in my jacket. Maybe I should write to Apple and suggest they shove a g4 in them next rev. With a full metal case.

Hmmmmm...warmmmmm.