12" 1GHz RAM question..

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by alxths, Dec 18, 2003.

1. alxths macrumors 6502

I'm thikning about upgrading the ram on by pb(it's at the stock 256), and am just wondering if i could get some feedback from those of you with 512, and those of you with 768.

How much of a boost did you notice? How do games run on it?

I'll be doing some audio editing eventually and have been told that you want as much RAM as possible for that... but.. in that case i really wouldn't mind waiting an extra minute or two to save myself 70 bucks(cdn). I guess it's mainly games that im concerned with, and osx performance with a lot of windows open.

thanks

2. awulf macrumors 6502

You would want as much RAM as you can afford in OS X because Mac OS X is a big fat memory hog, look below on the stats of my machines memory usage, and I hardly have anything open.

The biggest memory hog at that time is Safari using 121.24MB of RAM :eek:

Attached Files:

3. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

I did have a 512 stick in my pb 12", it was sweet...everything ran that little bit smoother and opening photoshop was done in half the time.

Had to take it out cause it broke, damm cheap memory :(

4. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Well remember that OSX/BSD utilises all memory available (i assume, as BSD does this), including for file caching. Hence why it always chewing pritty much full memory :)

As needed OSX dumps filecache memory to make room for Applications.

5. sparky76 macrumors regular

I just got a 12" PB and immediately upgraded to 768MB. Definitely worth it. Applications are faster when you have more open, and games are quicker. Also, Virtual PC is a lot happier with more RAM. I got the RAM from Crucial. Very good service.

6. iChan macrumors 6502a

iChan

I've only got 640 in mine and it runs fine for everyhting i need to do right now... however, I'd always recommend people to get as much ram as they can afford... MacOS X is a fast RAM Eater.

7. gemio17 macrumors regular