12/25: iTunes Store Down?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by screensaver400, Dec 25, 2006.

1. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

The iTunes Store isn't working for me, but obviously I can use other internet-based services. Is anyone else having trouble?

EDIT: Seems back up for me now.

2. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I bet everyone is spending their gift cards. :)

3. ted124b macrumors member

I have been having trouble with itunes today as well. I got a shuffle for Christmas and I when it prompted me to register it through itunes, itunes would not be able to access the store.... but when i clicked on the store it worked

4. X-Factor macrumors member

X-Factor

I'm not sure that it's down... because I've been using it (Usually have to click twice on something for it to load.:mad: ) But it's very sluggish though... probably from every person opening their present and finding themselves an iTunes Gift Card! :D

5. screensaver400 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah. At first I couldn't get to the store at all. Now, just the redeem link doesn't work, which is exactly what I was trying to do. :p

6. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Yup, same here. I can't check my account, purchase, or even check the iTunes software update.

I guess Santa was very good to Apple.

7. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

It took an hour to get past the registration screen and update. :( Getting my nano was a better experience. (Just opened my new iPod G5.5)

8. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I gave my Uncle a Shuffle for Christmas, and was trying to show him the Store, and it was being slow for me too. Im sure it's just everyone playing with their iPods/Gift Cards they got for Christmas

9. polevault139 macrumors 6502

Whenever I try to update my new iPod it just says the server is too busy. So I agree, everyone is registering their new iPods.

10. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I keep trying to connect and after about 2 minutes it says it "can't connect to the iTunes store". That's bad for Apple, hope they fix it soon!

11. b0tt094 macrumors 6502

b0tt094

same, just got a new mac book, wanting to register my itunes, but I cant even login :(

I want to buy some new songs

12. Jeonat macrumors regular

Yes, it has been intermittent all day but at the time of writing I can get no response from the store at all!

13. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

yeah it's a little spotty & slow right now, just trying to get the free single of the week and it's definitely lagging.

14. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

the redeem section wouldn't load for me just then. on xmas day, i redeemed 5 itunes cards fine tho. wierd

15. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

iTS is working fine for me now, if anything it's faster than it normally is on my Verizon 768/384 DSL line.

16. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

17. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I keep getting the message...

..."We're sorry, we cannot complete your request at this time, please try again later", or something like that. It's happening over and over and over. I'm trying to help a new user get comfortable with her new iPod, and this definitely isn't helping!!

18. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I know!! I'm trying to get my mom acclimated to a Mac Mini and not being able to authorize the computer to my account in iTunes is making her more nervous and distrusting of the computer.. also, it's annoying me to all get-out!

19. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

Oh, it is very frustrating. I just bought the WoW episode of South Park and it won't download.

20. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

It took me a half-dozen tries to finally redeem a gift card. Trying to navigate the store, I got a lot of errors but persistence would eventually get me through to wherever I was trying to go. Previewing music/videos was flawless and worked faster than ever. Trying to add items to the shopping cart resulted in lots of errors and typically took over 15 attempts to finally get something added. Switching to view the shopping cart resulted in lots of errors but would work after a half-dozen attempts. Downloading purchased content went fast, but one video I bought doesn't work. I'm getting sound, but no video. Even the on-screen controls don't appear when trying to play it.

I also checked the forums on Apple's website and they're getting a constant stream of posts/complaints. A lote of people saying they're going to take back the iPod they got as a gift because iTunes doesn't work. :rolleyes:

21. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Literally millions of people worldwide received new iPods today, so some people just need to calm down a little bit. With virtually no retail stores open at all today, the iTunes Store is just getting pounded that's all. Not even Apple can handle that kind demand all at once. I'm sure that once a lot of people go back to work on Tuesday, the performance will be back to normal again.

22. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

23. CoreyTheGent macrumors newbie

It's now Wednesday and I still can't connect. I haven't been able to connect to the store or iPod updater since Christmas Eve.

I get the same message everytime,

"iTunes could not connect to the iTunes Store. The network connection timed out.

Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, then try again."

24. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead