Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjleworthy

macrumors 68000
Dec 5, 2008
Penarth, Wales, UK
I love my 12.9 that I bought yesterday! I don't feel like it's outdated

I think its a reletive term is 'outdated'.

Technically yes, of course the 12.9 is outdated. It's several months old and there's way newer tech ready to go into the new ones.
But, what are our current alternatives? Well there isnt really. The 12.9, in my opinion, really is the head of the class in all respects. Yes there are newer tablets and ipads about, but weighing up all tech and pro/cons, even though the 12.9 is out of date, it's still an awesome beast that you seriously have trouble beating or matching at this point in time

Reactions: Rina11 and AFEPPL

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
[doublepost=1458997978][/doublepost]But when you bought it, it obviously met your requirements. I actually ordered a 12.9 today. 950 for a 128gb lte/wifi is not too bad.
[doublepost=1458998183][/doublepost]

I a lot of people who buy tech products think they are buying an investment that is supposed to keep its value. You buy it for the requirements at hand and you use it until it no longer meets those requirements, as long is it does I could care less how many updates come to the hardware.
Preach! And all these people that think they're gonna keep their iPad for 4 or 5 years or something....they'll probably end up splurging and upgrading to a newer iPad at the 2 year mark. Seriously. People always suck at predicting their needs. Like the grandma who wants to edit a little video but thinks she needs a fully spec'd Mac Pro

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
Preach! And all these people that think they're gonna keep their iPad for 4 or 5 years or something....they'll probably end up splurging and upgrading to a newer iPad at the 2 year mark. Seriously. People always suck at predicting their needs. Like the grandma who wants to edit a little video but thinks she needs a fully spec'd Mac Pro

the way I see my purchases is as a rental and I upgrade every year and consider the difference in my initial cost to the selling price my cost for that years use. Usually it stacks up quite well and I always have the new tech.

It was obvious Apple would introduce the smaller pro model and I still got the 13" believing this as this model suits my needs.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
How many of you 12.9 owners type without the keyboard attached. It's basically like using the 9.7 in landscape which I find just a touch too wide. And I don't care for split keyboard at all. So,did they so,show make touch typing easier in portrait ?

GrindedDown

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2009
Las Vegas
How many of you 12.9 owners type without the keyboard attached. It's basically like using the 9.7 in landscape which I find just a touch too wide. And I don't care for split keyboard at all. So,did they so,show make touch typing easier in portrait ?

I personally find it a pain in the butt to type in portrait in the 12.9. They don't let you split the keyboard so reaching keys because insanely difficult. It is annoying and so I just rotate into landscape and type that way. Less time consuming and more accurate. Luckily, typing in landscape on it is a pure dream! I have no desire for an external keyboard and I type a lot.

Reactions: Rina11

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I personally find it a pain in the butt to type in portrait in the 12.9. They don't let you split the keyboard so reaching keys because insanely difficult. It is annoying and so I just rotate into landscape and type that way. Less time consuming and more accurate. Luckily, typing in landscape on it is a pure dream! I have no desire for an external keyboard and I type a lot.
So you put it on your lap. So lying down you kick your legs up presumably?

richinaus

macrumors 68020
Oct 26, 2014
I have the external keyboard, but that was purely to help replace my macbook I sold, and am waiting on the new RMBP in June. Once they are out I will be using it as a pure tablet and am confident that just screen only in landscape is fine [based on my usage of the onscreen keyboard]. As Grindeddown says portrait is a pain.

Jessica08

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2015
Roll Tide
Yup. This is my largest complaint. I mean I understand the camera upgrade since it has been half a year. I'm not bothered because I really only use the front facing camera. The screen improvements would be nice but not killer.

But....Why is there no Always On Siri? Same chip and no feature? That's actually ridiculous  and makes no sense.

I know this an old thread, but I am highly disappointed that the 12.9" Pro doesn't have always on hey Siri. I don't keep my phone close to me at all times in order to utilize this feature. I think it's stupid it has to be plugged in in order to use it on my Pro.

So saying that. Would this be as simple as a software update or is the always on hey Siri something that's a hardware issue? Meaning apple couldn't implement this feature in the future for the bigger Pro due to its hardware.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I know this an old thread, but I am highly disappointed that the 12.9" Pro doesn't have always on hey Siri. I don't keep my phone close to me at all times in order to utilize this feature. I think it's stupid it has to be plugged in in order to use it on my Pro.

So saying that. Would this be as simple as a software update or is the always on hey Siri something that's a hardware issue? Meaning apple couldn't implement this feature in the future for the bigger Pro due to its hardware.

That's a very good question. I would assume that its a software feature. However, if that was the case, I would think that Apple would have just allowed the 12.9 to have this feature by now.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
Outdated is when a device no longer gets OS updates.
The 12.9 IPad Pro is not outdated.
Generally, Apple reserve some features to Gen 2 .
I generally skip first gen apple products. It's a rule that I have been following . However , It's hard to skip gen 2. (at least for me)

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2016

I can reach the keys fine in portrait, but it's top heavy. Easier to accidentally drop the thing. I completely agree about landscape though. When I got the 12.9, a bit over a month ago, I was tempted to take out my MacBook when I had to type something. Now, when typing in landscape mode, I can get up to a pretty good speed. Still a bit faster on my MacBook, but it's just another pleasant little surprise you have when you use a bigger iPad; you have a bigger keyboard.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
You should all be happy that the 12,9" has decent batteries and clocked cores plus RAM.
Apple is cutting back on hardware so hard that the next thinner iPad "Pro" will be marketed as hell, but will be disappointing. Even the current 9.7" version was a step backwards except for the screen backlight technology that uses colord LED's.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
You are absolutely rif
Depends on how important the camera is to you. For me, the 12.9 will only be outdated by a better 12.9.
It will be outdated when no longer gets IOS updates

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
You should all be happy that the 12,9" has decent batteries and clocked cores plus RAM.
Apple is cutting back on hardware so hard that the next thinner iPad "Pro" will be marketed as hell, but will be disappointing. Even the current 9.7" version was a step backwards except for the screen backlight technology that uses colord LED's.

how is the 9.7" a step backwards?

Reactions: ABC5S

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
That's a very good question. I would assume that its a software feature. However, if that was the case, I would think that Apple would have just allowed the 12.9 to have this feature by now.

TBH I had no idea iPad Pro 12.9" didn't have "Hey Siri" unless it was connected to a power supply.

I agree. If it was software specific Apple would have included it by now-must be some hardware 'issue'?

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
I think the 12.9" iPad form factor was a one off from Apple - except for watching one guy clumsily handling his on an airplane, I haven't seen any others.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
The 9,7" was a step backwards from the 12,9".
As I said, except for the display and ambient light sensor. (that can sense color temperature)

You forgot to mention that the 9.7" iPP has vastly improved front and rear cameras along with jacked up video recording ... I wanted to say how about the addition of the embedded Apple SIM but that's turned out to be a dud, for travelling that is.

Jessica08

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2015
Roll Tide
Hey siri works a treat on my 12.9 without being connected to a power supply

ALWAYS ON hey Siri doesn't work unless connected to power. It will work if you press and hold the home button, but me saying hey Siri right now since it's not connected to power, will not work.

Last edited:
Reactions: sjleworthy

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
It was a failed attempt replacing the MacBook, customers didn't take the bait

Me and many others did. For me it's a better one device solution than a MacBook. An iPad meets the computing needs of ninety percent of people. The problem I always had with it was the limitations of a 9.7 inch display, and the lack of multi tasking. When multitasking arrived, I was thrilled but still felt too cramped on a 9.7 inch display. The 12.9 changed everything. The 12.9 has room to work in two windows at the same time while also watching a video, tv show, or movie. It has room to take notes while also watching a video or reading an article. It has a large onscreen keyboard with many more options than a traditional 9.7 keyboard. It's a device that let's me consume content, write, surf the web, do basic photo editing, record and work in garage band, and much more. Everything that I used to use a MacBook for can now be accomplished easily on a 12.9 inch ipad. Better battery life and LTE means internet anywhere I go. For me, its the best device I've ever used. While all of these things can be accomplished on the 9.7, the extra screen real estate gives me a much better experience. So I think Apple nailed it. The problem is, most consumers are still convinced that they need a traditional laptop to accomplish tasks that an iPad Pro can easily handle.

Reactions: RudySnow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.