Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

detall

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2012
in the market for an ipad pro 12.9" 128gb for reading, watching movies, basic stuff. On sale at Best Buy for $800. Suggestions to wait until March or buy now
Thank you

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
It's pretty much confirmed they'll launch new iPads next March. The question is just whether the price is right now for you.

Personally at this time I'd pay no more than $700 for a 128gb Wifi iPad Pro 12.9".

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
I agree with MASOTIME. If you want the latest then wait until spring. As for the price, I'm loving mine so 800 is less that mine at 1078? Can't remember the exact price. Also, there may be after Christmas sales as a thought.

Reactions: Synergie

Jessica08

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2015
Roll Tide
I got the 12.9" inch at Target the week before Thanksgiving for around 15% off (got the wifi 128gb model and pencil for around $145 off). That was the best deal at the time that I could find, and I am in need of a new ipad. My original air only has 950mb of storage left, and it can slow and sluggish at times. Plus it's my Christmas present. :)

I say if you need it now buy it now. It's not going to become obsolete anytime soon and just how big of an upgrade will the 12.9" receive in March? If you are happy with what you have and it is working well for you, then wait. If my Air wasn't running out of space and slowing down, I probably would wait (well I'm going back to school in January so I don't know if I could have waited).

Reactions: Rina11

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
That Best Buy deal is only $100 off. The best that I've seen is $150 (there might have been a $175 off sale at one point)

$100 discount is "ok" but not great. Considering how Apple has been lately, it might be a good deal now if an update in March does something like removing the headphone jack.

From a hardware perspective, the 12.9 iPad Pro is still a beastly tablet. It handles everything I throw at it without breaking a sweat.

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
in the market for an ipad pro 12.9" 128gb for reading, watching movies, basic stuff. On sale at Best Buy for $800. Suggestions to wait until March or buy now
Thank you
If u don't have any iPad , buy right now!!!! Or wait for march if u prefer. But, will you wait 3 months ?

Synergie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
Halifax, Canada
I got the 12.9" inch at Target the week before Thanksgiving for around 15% off (got the wifi 128gb model and pencil for around $145 off). That was the best deal at the time that I could find, and I am in need of a new ipad. My original air only has 950mb of storage left, and it can slow and sluggish at times. Plus it's my Christmas present. :)

I say if you need it now buy it now. It's not going to become obsolete anytime soon and just how big of an upgrade will the 12.9" receive in March? If you are happy with what you have and it is working well for you, then wait. If my Air wasn't running out of space and slowing down, I probably would wait (well I'm going back to school in January so I don't know if I could have waited).

Actually I even remember reading that the 12.9" will be downsized to 10"?

The processor and RAM in the 12.9 will be fine for some time yet. Several years anyway.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
If you can wait, then wait. If the updated model appeals to you, then you can get it. If it doesn't, the price on the current model will likely drop even lower than what you're seeing now.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Go for surface pro
If you want a tablet get an Ipad, I have a surface its a great laptop replacement but a lousey tablet, the tablet mode apps are not even close to their Ipad counterparts and there are not a wide variety of them. I still think Tablet mode on a Surface is an After thought

Reactions: sracer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.