12" Albook . . . Help!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Sugaku, May 15, 2003.

1. Sugaku macrumors newbie

May 15, 2003
    London, Canada
    Long story short, after my long wait it (Eric) finally arrived. I was talking to him last night, but now when I turn it on, nothing displays on the builtin screen!! I can ssh to it, and talk to it, but that's all.

Also, closing Eric does not put him to sleep.

Now I've been spending the morning just playing with variations on "Eric: what time is it".
  2. Sugaku thread starter macrumors newbie

May 15, 2003
    London, Canada
    I went through the process of charging, and then draining the battery, but when I came back, the screen was dimmed and the whole thing was frozen (battery monitor said 0:18). I restarted, and soon after it came up, Eric froze again.

I then tried the hardware test cd. I got mixed up at first and instead held down 'T' while booting, and after staring at the screen a while, I rebooted pressing 'C'.

I ran the quick test, but as it was checking the memory staticy vertical lines began to appear on the screen. It reported an error, but by then I could no longer read a majority of the screen. I rebooted into the CD again, but this time the lines began right away almost.

I decided to leave it off and charging for a while (although it may have been on all this time), but now when I start it up, nothing shows up on the screen!!!

I know it is running, since I can issue voice commands. I used that to switch to terminal and get the IP (I have remote login enabled).

I haven't tried an external monitor yet.

I upgraded earlier to 10.2.6.

3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

Hmm. Warranty. Sounds to me like there may be a logic board issue.

I know you'll hate this like chewing nails, but get it exchanged. You shouldn't have to deal with this.