12" G4 Powerbook 1.33 ???'s

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by keysersoze, May 19, 2004.

1. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Hi All,

I am currently debating upgrading from my 12" 800MHZ G4 iBook to a 12" 1.33GHZ G4 Powerbook.

My questions are: Do any owners of the new Rev. C have any issues, complaints or compliments on their machine? Heat issues? Kernel panics? General beefs with keyboard/battery?

Is anyone interested in buying my used iBook before I eBay it? It's got AE and 640MB of RAM... any takers? :)

Just looking for any comments on satisfaction... any are appreciated

2. dragula53 macrumors regular

I got one

I got my powerbook 12" a couple weeks ago, which replaced my 14" g3 ibook.

I like it. it's much faster than my 1ghz imac (soon to be replaced by the next gen of G5 tower!).

my chief complaints are... the AE reception sucks. I don't ever lose signal, but there's no excuse for getting 1 bar in my apartment.

it is also noisy. when the fan comes on, I feel almost ashamed to hold it.

and it does get toasty.. not too hot. but warmer than the ibook ever did.

On the positive side, it is quick, it is very very nice looking. the keyboard completely blows the ibook's away.

the battery life seems to be about 4+ hours for me. doing web browsing/microsoft word, etc.

it also doesn't warp like the ibook. which was my chief complaint (besides being slow) about the ibook. after a year or so, the ibook barely latched anymore.

anyway, those are my .02.

I think the 12" powerbook is a way better deal than the 14" ibook... although I think the 12" ibook is the sweet price point.

Moo

3. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I appreciate your .02!

Hmm... I wonder why the AE reception sucks. Is this a well-known fact with that PB? Do you think it's a software issue or hardware? I like the idea of a 533MHZ increase over what I currently have... but I do use AE all the time.

Thanks for you thoughts!

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

PBs do get worse reception than ibooks, but for my rev B 12" PB, the reception is still pretty good. I don't think it should be a concern.

5. luckyparadox macrumors newbie

You think so? Even considering screen size/quality? For me with the education discount these two would cost the same (even with a 20G hard drive upgrade for the PB--80G). So these are my two options, over which I have been debating for weeks.

I actually bought the 12" PB and then cancelled the order (buyer's remorse, I guess) because I was apprehensive of whether I'd like the 12" screen. My current Dell notebook has a 14," I wish there was some middle ground, like a 13.3" or something...The portability and sleek design of the PB is incredibly compelling, but I don't want to sacrifice comfort for it. I actually tried out a 12" notebook at Best Buy the other day, staring at it for about forty minutes trying to decide if I had a problem with it...

It was small and shady...kind of dark, not nearly as brilliant as some of the other LCDs there. Is this what people are saying about the 12" PB screen? I keep hearing that the screen on that model sucks, but I don't understand how.

6. dragula53 macrumors regular

14"

the 14" ibook has the same resolution as a 12" powerbook

that pains me.

it is bigger and brighter though.

if you want something bigger, go with the 15" powerbook.

it comes with some extra goodies, too. backlit keyboard, svideo, etc.

just too expensive for me.

and the 14" ibook wasn't nearly portable enough on aircraft, which was another complaint that I had with it.

7. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I get amazing reception with my rev a 17". I have a few friends with ibooks and I always have better range and AE reception.

8. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Hmm.. your first hand account has me worried. This report...

http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/macos/story/0,10801,93110,00.html?nas=MAC-93110

... said the new PB screens were real bright. The Rev A 12" displays were really just iBook displays right? I heard the Rev C's have new displays altogether. does anyone else have any beefs with the illuminescence of the Rev. C screens?

9. ZaniCWB macrumors member

ZaniCWB

I just did that... and I don't regret it. I sold my iBook G4 800MHz and got a new PowerBook G4 1.33GHz 12" Combo. My only complaint is about the ticking HD, which makes a tad noise (like a click) when it's being accessed. Even though the PowerBook is pretty quiet, especially when compared to PC counterparts. Heat, battery and screen cause me no worries at all. Actually the screen looks brighter. The battery lasts about 30min. less, but i have Bluetooth and a more powerful processor than before (around 4hrs). The heat is about the same, seriously. And the AE reception, to me, looks the same.

It's very speedy and it's such a great design, really beautiful. I was very satisfied with my iBook, but this PowerBook is the best notebook I've ever had (that's my 7th).

10. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Thanks for the review-- I take it to heart, what with you owning it and working with it for awhile. I needed some positive reinforcement before I shell out $1600... :)

11. abc123 macrumors 6502

screen: i have no problem with the screen at all.

keyboard: when i'm typing sometimes the curser jumps up a line or two and starts me writing there. at first i thought it was me tapping the track pad because i don't hold my hands correctly. but i could have sworn that a few times it has done it when i'm positive that i have not touched the track pad. it only ever happens in word too. i don't know, it doesn't happen enough to make me angry at my computer, just annoyed when it happens. other than that the keyboard is wonderful.

battery: i get great life from it. 4+ hours with the screen about half brightness, airport on, and using basic office/web browsing programs.

airport: the reception says that it isn't as good as the ibook, in my bedroom the ibook would always be full, the powerbook is at three bars. there is a spot in our house where the reception is always horrible, it just so happens to be the entire lounge/dining room area (we put it down to the hot water system and washing machine being between the base and this area). the powerbook says that its reception in this area isn't as good as the ibooks but it manages to hold on to it much better than the ibook. i honestly don't even notice the difference unless i look at the number of bars showing and i still get some reception everywhere in the house.

general: the computer is more than adequate for my needs, actually a 12" 1ghz ibook would have done the job easily too. when the revisions were announced and i could suddenly afford a powerbook i decided to get one, really i just wanted to get one up on my brother, and hopefully this computer will last me a long time.

overview: it is a great computer, very portable and looks beautiful. i can forgive it for the keyboard thing (which is most probably the fault of my bad typing anyway) and although the airport signal doesn't look too good it works fine.

12. keysersoze thread starter macrumors 68000

keysersoze

Thanks for giving me MORE positive reinforcement. I am well on my way to adding to Apple's Net Profit. :)

13. luckyparadox macrumors newbie

Just so you know, the computer I was looking at was a PC, not a Powerbook. I was just trying out the screen size, see how I gelled with it.

= ) e

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

rev. A and B 12" powerbooks had the same screen as the 12" ibooks, an inferior screen to the bigger powerbooks. The new 12" PBs have the same quality screen as the bigger powerbooks (superior to the ibooks). The PB screen should be brighter and crisper than the ibook screen.

15. ZaniCWB macrumors member

ZaniCWB

I'm glad to inform you...

Even the ticking (clicking?) HD has stopped right now. And that was my only complaint... oh, I'd like to point out that this is the best keyboard I've tried on a notebook or desktop. It's that good, believe me!

God bless the PowerBook 12"er line.