1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

12" G4 PowerBook charger(s) mysteriously stop charging

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by CPJ, Jul 16, 2010.

1. CPJ
    macrumors newbie

I have two ac charger cords for my PB - the one it came with and a backup. My battery is about three months old and seems to be very healthy. The problem is that the cord arbitrarily stops charging (thought it was the cord, used the backup - same thing happens). The light on the cord where it plugs in to the computer goes off and I must unplug it from the power source and replug for it to start charging again, which it always does.

I thought it was the outlet on the surge protector, so I switched outlets. No improvement. I thought then that it might be the surge protector itself, so I plugged it directly into another outlet, to no avail.

I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this issue. I searched the forums, but I'm not finding anything, and I'm not really sure how to ideally word it for a search so I thought I'd ask.

2. macrumors 68040

666sheep

Seems like your charger or DC board in your PB is going bad. Try with another charger if you got possibility.

3. CPJ
    macrumors newbie

Thanks - I have two chargers and the same thing happens on both of them. I'm guessing it's not the chargers or the power source, but I am sincerely hoping it's something easily fixable because, while I need a new computer, I cannot afford one at the moment.

4. macrumors member

Depends on your skills, if your comfortable pulling it apart then it's easy to solder, or take to someone who can solder. It maybe just a bad port.

5. macrumors 68040

666sheep

Looks like DC in board then. If so, fixing it is PITA: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/...G4-Aluminum-12-Inch-867-MHz-DC-In-Board/214/1 but doable. No soldering required.
    You can always live with it as is until it stops working completely.