12 Hour Battery - Macbook Air, 11 inch....

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MacMadeInHeaven, Apr 23, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I bought a MBA 11 inch just a few days ago. Since installing Click To Flash I am now getting 12 hours use out of it per battery charge. This machine is a monster!:D

2. macrumors regular

Hey,

I just got mine today. Never heard of Click To Flash, have to give it a try. Does this require anything special? Easy to install? Possibility of screwing the computer up?

3. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

It's just a Safari extension. Installation is super easy and I have never had problems with it. It simply lets you decide what Flash content you want to load.

http://clicktoflash.com/

4. thread starter macrumors member

Hi Tarsier, I had considered returning my MBA and waiting for the Refresh that's due in June. What about you?

5. macrumors regular

I thought June was just a software refresh not hardware. I sort of doubt MBA will be refreshed in June as it was just refreshed.

6. macrumors regular

How does it save the battery? I mean how can you go from 5-7hrs to 12hrs just by turning Flash content?

7. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

Flash is very CPU intensive and when CPU usage goes up, more power is required by the CPU causing the battery life to go down. Many sites have Flash ads which are the worst. They are useless and there are usually more than one of them.

From 5 hours to 12 hours may be a bit too much but it can easily go up by an hour or two.

8. thread starter macrumors member

Mine inreased 6 hours after installing Click To Flash. Thanks:eek:

9. macrumors regular

Hmm, I just fully charged my MBA which I picked up in the morning and I am shocked to find out that it shows only 3hrs and 8min of battery life. I am not even doing anything. What the heck? Is that right?

10. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

When was it calibrated last time? Anything using the CPU?

11. thread starter macrumors member

Tarsier, my MBA 11 was only giving just over 3 hours when I first got it. I remedied that by adding Click To Flash and burning Cedar & Sage Incense by Fred Soll. Now, as I've said, I can get up to 12 hours out of it.

12. macrumors regular

I just got it, have charged it fully and was going to discharge it, but I just decided to reformat the drive removing the language pack. Should be done in 20min. So, I am calibrating it now while reinstalling.

13. macrumors regular

As soon as I am done reinstalling I will install Click To Flash

14. macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I only get just over 6 hours with my MBA, which includes Click-to-Flash. That's with web browsing and whatnot. What exactly are you doing on your MBA to get 12 hours? Just playing music?

15. thread starter macrumors member

Over Achiever. On a daily basis I use it just for typing documents and sending email. So when I have just Microsoft Office 2011 and Apple Mail open, it lasts me for 12 hours. That is without dimming the brightness of the screen or anything. I do enjoy it!

16. Mac32, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011

macrumors 6502a

No way you are getting 12 hours out of your MBA, that's just not possible. Are you just reading off the battery timer? The does not necessarily reflect real life battery times

17. macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Yeah, I don't believe you.

18. macrumors 68000

LOL, if the screen and processor are running, it's not technically possible to get anything close to 12 hours. If you're playing a music playlist with the screen off, I might believe it, but aside from that, no way.

It's fairly easy to do the math (current draw from the MBA off the current capacity of the battery = hours of usability)... and if you look at what the traw is even when idle, you can only run the screen about 8 hours.

If you really think there's a way to use email and documents and get 12 hours, you better believe Apple would be posting "12 hour battery" on their website.

19. thread starter macrumors member

I got 11.5 hours out of it earlier today on one charge.

20. macrumors 68000

Course ya did. ;-)

I got 19 hours out of my macbook air earlier on one charge.

21. thread starter macrumors member

I'm looking forward to seeing how much of a charge I can get out of the MBA 13 inch. I am road testing one next week. Can't wait!:)

22. macrumors 68000

Well hell if you got "12 hours" out of the 11" then u should be able to get 2 weeks off one charge on the 13" haha

23. thread starter macrumors member

That's what I'm thinking Bella. I can't wait! I used to get 3 years off a single charge on my old white Macbook.

24. macrumors regular

25. macrumors 6502

listening to music and browsing the web (without flash) i'm getting about 7 hours on half brightness. this is with the 13 inch. if you're getting 12 hours out of that 11 inch, then i'm steve jobs.