12" ibook and Tiger

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by guichard, May 10, 2005.

1. guichard macrumors newbie

Apr 26, 2005
    Manchester, England
    I am after a 12" ibook. I am not planning to use any intensive applications on it, just MS Office and Dreamweaver. Looking at the updates (lack of for ibook) I want to know what downsides the current model will give me with Tiger (core image etc). This will be a second machine and so does not need to be super powerful etc. What will I miss? If it is the animations when a 'widget' is added to the desktop, then I can live without it. If it is something more serious, let me know so I can make a decision. I want to switch badly.

2. oriol macrumors member

Jan 5, 2005
    right behind ya!
    the only thing u will miss is the animations but u can live with out them, is a exelent machine and for what u need it is perfect, just don't forget to upgrade the memory ram it makes miracles. :p

my two cents
  3. me_94501 macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2003
    Yeah, that animation is about all that's missing. And the iBook can handle CoreImage, but not in real-time (since it relies on the CPU as opposed to the GPU on the iBook).

I own a 1.2 GHz iBook 12" and Tiger runs smoothly.
  4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Same here, 1.2GHz 12" iBook owner with Tiger and loving it! The only thing missing I've noticed is the ripple effect in Dashboard. Big whoop.

Stick a gig of RAM in there and your iBook will love you. ;)
  5. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

May 2, 2005
    La Mesa, Ca
    ok stupid question wtf is ripple effect in Dashoard? You guys always talk about it and i never know what i means??!! :confused:
  6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Okay, I believe it's when you drag a new widget onto the dashboard and release the mouse button the widget sorta bounces up and down a little and ripples come out from the sides, like it was gently dropped into water. From the demo movies I've seen it looks cool but it really doesn't make or break anything!
  7. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    That machine is perfect for your needs. Use mine for the same tasks. :D
  8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    I have a G3 900 12" iBook and it runs tiger great :) I actually noticed a performance increase when i installed tiger (after spotlight indexed of course hehe). Specs are in my sig :)

Good Luck
  9. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2004
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    If you can, at least wait a couple of weeks until WWDC. If the iBook is updated then, you'll be glad you waited.

10. alywa macrumors 6502

May 6, 2004

My wife's 1.0 Ghz iBook runs Tiger just fine. Same usage as yours (MS office, some minor photo editing, internet / email, iTunes, etc), I've been very pleased with its performance.

However, that being said, unless you NEED it right now, hold off a few weeks. If updates come, you'll be dissapointed. (figure at lease a minor speed boost and BT included)... if those things don't matter to you, the older ones will be a discount.