12" iBook buy now, tiger later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rbg, Mar 30, 2005.

1. rbg macrumors newbie

I'm a windozer from way back about to make the plunge into buying a mac... More specifically a 12" iBook, mostly due to the price, weight, battery life etc...

The way that I see it is that if I wait til Tiger comes out then its likely there'll be shortages of products across the board for a few months as everyone updates their hardware... Is this a correct assumption to make?

I don't want to have to wait for the iBook as I'm going to be using it for travel - and I leave in a few months. So I'm more inclined to get one now and then update to Tiger once that comes out... Is this a complicated process? (baring in mind i've got bugger all experience on Macs, but i'm very competent on a pc).

2. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

rbg-

I don't think there will be shortages, when Tiger comes out. There might be short shortages, if and when they update the iBooks.

You could buy an iBook now, and preorder Tiger from Amazon.com. Amazon.com has a $35 rebate on Tiger. You can upgrade easy.

3. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Buy now!

4. rbg thread starter macrumors newbie

Reason why I'm thinking that there would be shortages is just from what I hear about apple's tendandcy to not have large stockpiles... but its all from what I hear... so I don't know how much truth there is to that.

So on the upgrade... would it wipe out the 10.3 copy or put itself alongside it... and if it would go alongside whats the overhead on that (in terms of HDD space - I'm looking at getting the 60gig, but still want plenty of space spare for music etc...)

5. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Dont worry about shortages. Apple has plenty of computers. The new version os simply replaces the old. It doesnt take up any extra space. Just hope it doesnt show up with dead pixels! Im crossing my fingers mine doesnt. :D

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Heck no- if Tiger is coming out next month as rumored, wait a month. If you buy the iBook after Tiger comes out but before all new Macs ship with Tiger, then you usually get a discount on Tiger.

7. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I would buy an iBook now
    1) you need to travel
    2) shipping can take a while
    3) i was in the same situation and i thought i would just buy the iBook now and learn the os and have fun.

Just upgrade later it should be fine espically if you need it now for travel

8. rbg thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm travelling in July, so that *should* leave enough time

With the new ibooks just rumoured methinks I'll wait a *tiny* bit longer til tiger is released at least and see if the new iBooks get shipped with that :)

9. Washco macrumors newbie

'With the new ibooks just rumoured methinks I'll wait a *tiny* bit longer til tiger is released at least and see if the new iBooks get shipped with that'

Especially if the iBooks have a better graphics card!!!

10. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Dude... July? Totally wait. With iBooks being rumored to be updated, and the ~$100 and hassle you'll save on upgrading to Tiger, it'll be worth it. Plus you'll have a faster iBook. No question, just wait a month.
    I don't know what all these other guys are smokin' up there, but... if they want, they should come over now, because (on a personal note) it's been a LONG month for me.

Lee Tom

11. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

WAIT 4 MORE WEEKS then buy ! you will thank us all then lol

12. breathofj macrumors newbie

breathofj

I'm in the exact same boat....and just don't know if I can wait.

I'm going to be using mine for writing a TON, and just really want to have it right now. I've never been good with the waiting game, and 4 weeks just seems like an eternity.

Plus, if nothing happens after those 4 weeks, I might start twitching :p

Seriously though, it's a tough call. Wait....buy now....grrr! :mad:

13. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Buy now! You wont regret it. The new ibooks arent THAT much better. Who buys an ibook to do core image work?? Not anyone i know. :rolleyes:

14. rbg thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i'm tempted to wait another 4 weeks to see what happens... if nothing else I'm prepared to wait for an update to the graphics card... i's hoping the price doesn't jump up too much... but then i'm thinking that they can't afford to bump the price up too much because then they'll miss the student market that they are still trying to get a decent foot into...