Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
I'm a Power Mac user, but my last excuse for a laptop crapped out on me a few months ago and I've been without one since. So with the current Cram & Jam promotion Apple is running for the education market (buy a notebook and an iPod together and get a $200 mail-in rebate) I thought it was the perfect time for me to get myself a little iBook for portable computing. I have an iPod already, so I was going to sell the new one to offset the cost of the iBook a bit.

I went into an Apple Store yesterday and spent over an hour, even though I knew exactly what I wanted and didn't want to browse around. It was quite busy, I might add, but the reason it took me so long to get out of there was because the few Apple salespeople who were out on the floor seemed to be too busy for selling. One of them was talking to personal friends (maybe it was his break? for the whole hour I was there??) and another was using one of the display Macs to look at online auctions (and told me to go check with So-and-so when I asked him for help). Unfortunately, So-and-so was giving a diatribe about Apple's mid-90s follies to a poor couple who had probably asked a question but now looked like they couldn't wait to get away. After waiting longer than was necessary for politeness' sake, I cut into the conversation to ask if I could please get some help. The departing couple (they high-tailed it out of there as soon as the salewoman's attention was distracted) flashed me a smile of thanks. I would say this sort of behavior on the part of the sales staff at this store was a fluke, but a month ago when my boyfriend and I came in to buy his Powerbook, we had the exact same experience.

Anyhow, that's not the issue at hand! I brought my nice, relatively inexpensive 12" iBook home, popped the Airport Extreme card in, and fired her up. At first all seemed well and I was quite excited. The first trouble was that I was getting very poor reception on the Airport card (like one or two bars, only a few feet away from the base station -- the significant other's Powerbook was getting 5 full bars). Ehhhh, I thought, maybe I didn't stick the antenna wire in firmly enough (I later checked, and I had).

But the real disappointed was in the screen. I sat down on my bed with the iBook and a stack of CDs, ready for some installation goodness, when I noticed troubling little rippling/bubbling effects on the screen that were taking place whenever the 'book was subject to the slightest vibration (i.e. me typing on it while not on a firm surface like a desk, but rather on my lap). The effect was somewhat similar to what happens when you flex an LCD screen or press your finger onto it. It was confined to three specific areas of the screen, and comprised of a small circular region (what I called "a bubble) and two diagonally-running lines a bit further down the screen (these produce what I referred to as "rippling). Somewhat akin to the San Andreas fault in size. These defects aren't as noticeable on a light-colored background, but become glaringly apprarent with a darker image on the screen.

So I'm begging the partner for a ride back to the Apple Store today, where I plan to politely tell them I can't possibly keep a laptop with a screen like this and pick up a new one. I will be using this notebook on the trains a lot, and I will be driven crazy if I have to watch the screen colors distort and jiggle with every little vibration. I really hope that the Apple Store will promptly replace it for me, but I'm also worried about my participation in the Cram & Jam thing now. They'll have to put the new iBook on a receipt with the iPod for me to be eligible for the promotion. Unfortunately, I have already cut the UPC label off the iPod box (I have someone all set to buy it already, and was going to make the delivery yesterday). I'm going to take the box and the cut-off label with me to the store, and hopefully they'll just scan it in and stick it on my new receipt.

So, I'm disappointed. Hopefully the good (though lazy/chatty) people at this particular Apple Store will make things right without a fight and ease my frustrations.

I will report on my progress later in the day.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
problem resolved

I forgot to post the ending to my little tale after I came home from the Apple Store the other day. The first guy I encountered (one of the salespeople on the floor) when I brought my iBook back in to was a little reluctant to help me out (was it REALLY a big deal to have the psychedelic effect? couldn't I just use a different background color?). After talking with him a minute or two more, I convinced him to show one of the guys standing behind the "Genius Bar." The Genius' immediate reaction was "whoooa that's nauseating, we'll give you a new one!"

So I'm appeased and I take back all the mean thoughts I had about the guys at the Apple Store. My new iBook has a great screen (although it does have a "sticky" latch). But I'm very pleased overall.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I think it is always prudent to fire up the laptop you are about to buy and make sure there are no problems or dead pixels before you leave the store. Glad it worked out for you in the end.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
apple_iBoy said:
I forgot to post the ending to my little tale after I came home from the Apple Store the other day. The first guy I encountered (one of the salespeople on the floor) when I brought my iBook back in to was a little reluctant to help me out (was it REALLY a big deal to have the psychedelic effect? couldn't I just use a different background color?). After talking with him a minute or two more, I convinced him to show one of the guys standing behind the "Genius Bar." The Genius' immediate reaction was "whoooa that's nauseating, we'll give you a new one!"

So I'm appeased and I take back all the mean thoughts I had about the guys at the Apple Store. My new iBook has a great screen (although it does have a "sticky" latch). But I'm very pleased overall.

how was the wireless reception on the new one?

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
dswoodley said:
how was the wireless reception on the new one?

Fortunately, the new iBook works just fine with the airport extreme card. I think the first iBook they gave me was just a lemon, pure and simple.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
apple_iBoy said:
Fortunately, the new iBook works just fine with the airport extreme card. I think the first iBook they gave me was just a lemon, pure and simple.

Glad you had an easy time with the replacement; I've heard some nightmare stories about other people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.