12" iBook G4 or Rev A 12" PowerBook G4?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tekno_geek911, Mar 11, 2004.

1. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

Selling my 1GHz iMac to get a laptop again,I owned the 12" PB 867 and had no problems with it but the iBook's a little newer,just wanted some advice,which one should I pick and why? Thanks

2. JasonL macrumors regular

You are going to have to tell us what you plan on doing with this computer and how long you plan on keeping it. If money were no object (not the case with most of us!) than, sure, the PB is the way to go.

If you wouldn't see much practical benefit, based upon what you need the machine to be able to handle, than save some coin and go with the iBook.

Jay

3. tekno_geek911 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just plan on using it for web browsing,Photoshop and a little Cinema 4D...I can get either laptop for about the same price.

4. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

powerbook. pro models are always better to have for both performance and expansion reasons.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sure there's a little performance difference between the 1Ghz PB and the 800Mhz iBook, but in real terms it's very minimal. And expansion? You're talking about a laptop here, remember? Even my spiffy pro model TiBook is basically unexpandable since I've got the RAM up to a gig and the Airport card in it. That's about all you can do with a laptop as far as expansion.

Personally I think the better value for you money is the iBook, unless you really want a superdrive. That's the only thing that would tempt me to buy the PB right now. I guess the only other tempting thing would be the ability to drive an external monitor at resolutions higher than 1024x768 but really I could take or leave that. You can save yourself $400, or about 20-25% with the iBook and not miss out on much. Before the iBooks were released with the G4 I would have said otherwise, but times have changed. Depending on what kind of updates the PB's get (if they ever come :rolleyes: ) I might change my opinion again. But right now the iBook and PB are quite close in ability. Probably too close for Apple's sake, since I'm assuming they'd rather be selling PBs than iBooks. My advice would be to get the iBook, and put the leftover money towards an iPod or something else you want.

Just my 2¢ though. Take it for what it's worth.

6. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I understand that any laptop is not that expandable. the powerbook can take a good amount more ram though and I think they still use ata 66 in the ibooks vs ata 100 in the powerbooks. plus the powerbook case is more sturdy. i'm not saying the ibook is not good just not as good as a powerbook 12". if 640mb ram is enough for someone then by all means get an ibook. its enough for me but not many mac users.

7. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I forgot to mention that I now have direct access to a new ibook G4 800 w 12" screen and 640 ram because my girlfriend just got one. its a great machine, nice screen and a clean look. you can tell though that its just not as well made/built as a powerbook. cheaper materials and construction.

8. tekno_geek911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah thanks for your opinion's...I was planning on getting the 867MHz PowerBook,the latest revision is out of my budget....So the iBook is the way to go?

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't know if 128 extra MB of RAM as a theoretical max really counts as a good amount of RAM. The PB has 256Mb built in and one expansion slot. The iBook has 128 built in and one expansion slot. There has been some discussion about this, and AFAIK the consensus is that Apple tells you the iBook can only go up to 640Mb of RAM, but there is no reason it can't take the 1Gig stick as well. And according to the Apple site, the iBook is using ATA/100 now as well.

I don't know about build quality, I only have access to my wife's 12" G4 iBook, but it feels quite sturdy. I haven't gotten more than a cursory look at a 12"PB, but it felt about the same to me. A little thinner, but the build quality felt as good as my wife's iBook.

10. tekno_geek911 thread starter macrumors 6502

The iBook's are built tough,my old G3 was thrown around quite a bit and it never damaged,my PowerBook got a small dent just from being in my backpack...

11. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

actually guys, the subject says Rev A!!! powerbook 12"
    which is 867mhz, 256k L2 cache (same as ibook) 128mb onboard fixed ram (same as ibook, with 640mb ceiling).

so basically with exception to 67mhz more cpu, and an audio input. its the same damn computer.

my girlfriend has the ibook G4 because she thinks its cuter than my powerbook 12" rev A. i ran an Xbench test on both machines and they both scored the same, an 83.

that said, it truley comes down to your personal VISUAL preference.

Aluminum or White? take your pick.

12. tekno_geek911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks that helped allot....I think im gonna go with the iBook.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Get the 60 Gig HD, AE, BT, and max out the RAM. Just go for it! ;)

My opinion with this purchase is that you won't pay a whole lot more for Apple to upgrade the RAM versus buying it yourself, since they will only sell you an iBook with the 256 Mb minimum *required* to run OS X and only 128Mb is soldered onto the board. That means they're charging you for a 128Mb stick that you'll take out and toss. Apple will charge $150 to upgrade to 640 Mb, while Crucial will charge you $99 for the 512 stick. But for $50 it's done when you get the machine...

But if you don't mind doing it yourself, you can save $50, and maybe even be able to give away/sell off the 128Mb stick.

14. Kirkland macrumors newbie

I have a similar question, didn't want to create a new thread and it seems tekno_geek has his answer.

I'll also be selling my 1ghz iMac for a laptop (can't bring my iMac to school :p ), I've just about decided on the 800mhz iBook but I can wait for an update at the latest early April. So my question is should I just not bother with rumors and grab an iBook now or wait it out for a potential update.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, the PBs are supposed to be any day now. The MacRumors buyer's guide has the iBook at "approaching end of cycle" and the PB's are "Don't Buy! Updates imminent!" so if you can wait a little while you might want to. But if you buy now, like I said earlier the iBook is the better bang for your buck right now IMO. I don't really see the iBooks getting much nicer for a while though, the PBs are gonna be where the action is this time around, and even they might not see much beyond a speed bump. I don't even know what I'd like to see in the 12" PB besides a G5. And the chances of that are pretty slim to none. Maybe they'll find room for a PCMCIA slot somehow. FW 800? Not too thrilling. Magic lighted keyboard? Ok, that would be kinda cool. A second RAM slot would be cool too....

16. tekno_geek911 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am planning on getting the 60GB HD,AE and BT...But I still have a 512 stick left over from my PowerBook...Was too lazy to sell it lol

17. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Stop Drop Kaboom

Hold up. How can you guys recemend the iBook over the PB if it's the same price? The PB will give you Bluetooth, is smaller (slightly) and wont get all scratched up like the iBook. It will also hold its calue better. Granted the iBook has USB 2.0, so if you want that then I guess its the way to go. To me the white plastic just looks alot cheaper, and less like a quality product. Also isn't there a difference in them processors as well? I thought the PB used a Motorola proc. and the iBooks used a new IBM one, I thought the Moto one was better. But if benchmarks have been run on both machines, as listed above, maybe not. Hopefully someone else can help us here. Also if you already had a PB 12'' why did you sell it? Are you sure you really want a laptop?

18. tekno_geek911 thread starter macrumors 6502

I sold my PB because I figured I would use a desktop more,but now im barely at home to use it...And allot of my friends set up WiFi as well.

19. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

i'm in this same purchasing "dillema" and to answer a question from above. the ibook ALSO has internal bluetooth. basically, the iBook is ALMOST all of the machine (power, performance, features) for less money. it's a better deal.

i also am buying a 12in iBook G4 this weekend.

20. tekno_geek911 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I went with the PowerBook afterall....I miss that laptop heh