12" IBook Keyboard - How is typing?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bannor, Jun 5, 2004.

1. bannor macrumors member

I'm looking at getting a 12" IBook, and I do a lot of writing (short stories etc.). I was just wondering how the keyboard is for typing when you are working for 2 or 3 hours at a time. I check it out in the store and it feels like it will be fine, but you can't really get a good indication in 30 seconds of pecking away. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. dbauer macrumors member

pretty decent

I bought a 12" G3 900 a while back and took it on a trip to St. Kitts in March. I kept a daily journal of our trip in Appleworks which amounted to about 7 or 8 pages after a week. Most of the typing lasted about 1 to 2 hours at a time and I can honestly say that my experience was better on the iBook than the IBM Thinkpad T30 my work gave me, and thinkpads are supposed to be known for their keyboards. I love typing on it. Something to note however is that the G4 iBooks have a slightly different keyboard than the G3's. I'm not sure if it makes a big difference or not. The G4 may be the same keyboard without the translucency of the G3. :)

3. sethwerkheiser macrumors regular

I've been using the iBook for over a year now and find it okay. Just make sure you're in a comfortable posistion for typing. Right now I'm on the couch, leg crossed, with the iBook at a slight angle on my lap. This is pretty comfortable.

I know, though, my wife writes quite a bit (school papers) and complains after a few hours of typing. It's all a matter of getting the computer in a good posistion. She still prefers the iBook to our old Compaq :)

Maybe look into a decent iBook stand and a keyboard. I'm sure that could work well at a desk.

4. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

it's ok. better than most laptops, but worse than most desktop keyboards. on the road you probably never complain about it, but if you do much work at home, you might want to buy an apple wireless keyboard as an extra - if you're a touch typist, that's a must. with laptop keyboards, you need to see your fingers.

5. bannor thread starter macrumors member

Wow. Thanks for all the quick responses. I probably will end up getting an extra keyboard for working in the den, but it's nice to sit in the backyard, under the shade of a tree and breathe the clean air while I write. It sounds like your experiences have been pretty positive. I know laptop keyboards will never be completely ideal compared to a standalone desktop keyboard, but who wants to be shackled to that old ball and chain desktop anyways...

Thanks again,
    Dennis

6. mms macrumors 6502a

IMO the 12" PowerBook keyboards are nicer but the iBook ones are perfectly usable. I use it without an external keyboard all the time and don't have problems with it. Though it is a small computer it does have a full-sized keyboard and is fine for most use.

7. wide macrumors 6502a

the iBook keyboards are fine keyboards. the key-spacing on the ibook G3 is a little different than on my Pismo, my PC, and most other computers (including the current iBook G4 and the powerbook), but I do not think you will regret the purchase. however, some people have been complaining that the black paint on the keyboards on some of the iBook G4s has been coming off after barely any use.

8. ac2102 macrumors member

ac2102

i really like the keyboard on my ibook, its just the right firmness. I have had no problems with paint coming off the keys, and i have used it every day since i got it in Nov '03. Hope this helps,

ac2102

9. aptmunich macrumors member

Well i touch type on normal keyboards and whilst it does take some getting used to on the ibook, it can be done :)

But compared to most laptop keyboards, it is very comfortable to use! The powerbook keyboards do feel more 'full-sized' as the keys seem to have more depth, but the ibook serves me well!

10. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

There is no problem with the keyboard ergonomics, its pretty good. Only thing is, it gets dirty with time..but then :rolleyes: what does not :), perhaps i am too lazy to clean.