12'' ibook or 12'' powerbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ononon, Apr 14, 2005.

1. ononon macrumors newbie

I've never owned a mac befoe, need your professional adives on buying ibook or powerbook.

I'll use mac to do some basic graphic and movie editing. I know the 12'' 1.2ghz ibook g4 is good enough to do all that, but since the tiger will release soon, i am not sure whether the currrent ibook 12'' can fully support it or not. And Ibook does not support dual screen, i do some a software can help ibook to support dual screen, called spanning doctor, but do not know how theis software works, and someone told me this software might reduce speed.

From mac buyer guide, ibook will upgrade soon, don't know how it might be.

I like powerbook's design, it is really cool. And powerbook can satisfy all my requirements, for sure, and can fully suport tiger,Since the 1.33ghz 12'' powerbook is reduced to 899pound in the uk. And the current ibook 12'' is 699pound, can't decide.

If i go for the powerbook, don't know go for the 1.33ghz 12'' powerbook or the new 1.5ghz 12'' one. I need to update memory to 512 if i buy 1.33ghz powerbook, it gonna cost 50 pound. can't decide.

Need your advises. Thanks!

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Had A thread? This is practically the single most common thread subject in these forums... :rolleyes: Dude, use the search feature!

3. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Agreed. This has been asked so many times. In fact theres another current thread on here with the very same question.

4. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

ononon,

Yes, this has been discussed many times before, but what the hey, why not, here I go, it's been a while.

Should you get the iBook, the rev. c PB, or the rev. d PB? Well, I have listed them in ascending order of price and performance. These go hand in hand in all comparable categories of specifications, except battery life. Pay more to get more, or save and get a bit less. It really is that simple. Whether or not the more or the less is worth the monetary values they represent is up to you. Of course all of these machines, in my non-expert opinion, can handle basic video editing and graphics programs.

The are each fine machines, but there is no great mystery to this. Only you can decide if you have the money and want the extra performance/features, or if you'd rather save some cash and not have extra whatever in your computer that you don't want/need anyway.

iBooks, right out of the box, will mirror their display, and in that sense can drive 2 screens. iBooks, lightly modified, will support dual screens, but at this point the VRAM per screen is down to 16MB per, which might be just fine for you, or not. Even with the slight modification, iBooks cannot support true clamshell mode in 2 ways:
    - even with the laptop closed, the external monitor can only have 16MB VRAM (I have not played with this myself, this is what others here report)
    - Apple recommends you do not run your iBook closed for too long as the keyboard area is meannt for necessary venting functions.
    Again, these all might be absolutely meaningless caveats for you, only you can decide that.

Lastly, the Buyer's Guide on this site is just that, a guide. Set your watch by it at your own peril. Over its history, Apple has not always followed a set calendar for product updates. Yes, the iBook line itself has beeen fairly regular, so an update soon would not the greatest surprise, but then again, maybe its regularity up until now means (in terms of the divine laws of the Appleverse) that it is due for an irregular update interval ... ahh, who knows.

5. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Look at the other thread that has like 50 comments on it. It's the same question.

6. tekmoe macrumors 68000

mcgarry, not trying to rag on you or anything...but why would apple recommend to not run the ibook closed for too long, when they say it is perfectly fine for a powerbook?

i always wonder about this myself. when i use my powerbook as a desktop, i always have the lid open. i used to leave it shut. never noticed a problem other than it getting slightly hotter than normal. then i started wondering about the strip of metal that runs right above the f1-f12 keys. this strip of metal is very close to the screen, and it gets very hot. leaving the lid closed made me wonder if it actually damages the lcd. some people say yes, some people say no.

i am still curious.....

7. capone2 macrumors regular

the powerbook will wear and run

for daily wear and tear the powerbook, def. also you are getting 1.5 as apposed to 1.2. Then you have the external display thing that the pb could handle and the ibook cant the money is worth it. the PB will go farther and last much longer.

PB 17" 1.5/1gigram

8. cubist macrumors 68020

Apple Store is full of refurbs of every model. You can get a 17" PB 1.5GHz for $1999. You can get a 12" iBook for $799. You can get a 17" G5 iMac for $1099. Great deals!

9. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

First, I have not verified the iBook side of this myself. But supposedly, the PowerBook can vent through its entire case, which radiates heat in different ways in different spots. On the other hand, except for the vents cut into it, the iBooks' case does not allow venting, and in fact uses the keyboard to release heat. Different design, different heat transfer.

10. lewdvig macrumors 65816

JRs has 1.33 12" SD PowerBooks - new - for 1099 right now.

That is about the easiest choice EVER

11. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Ive never understood this concept, and ive never seen some actual EVIDENCE that Apple even recomends this for the ibook. Running with it open instead of closed. I never feel any heat coming out of the keyboard AT ALL period. The only place it gets warm is above the left palm rest and below it. This is where the hdd is mounted and it only gets hot when the computer is plugged in to the wall. Im almost positive it wouldnt get nearly as hot if i had more memory in it. The hdd is warming up because of the lack of physical memory so the hdd has to work harder. What these guys are saying is to me an urban legend. :rolleyes:

12. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

link? it says $1299 for me

13. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

Well, I make no comment on the quality of said evidence, but here it is. They don't mention heat, they just say that it shouldn't be operated this way.

If anyone else can elaborate on, undermine, or give legs to, this legend, we'd all appreciate it. Where did we get this idea?

Also, though I'm not denying what you have observed, personally I wouldn't rely on subjective feel to judge the importance of this. Maybe running Temperature Monitor would paint a more directly comparable picture, though.

14. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

wait until ibooks upgrade, then decide.
    Im a powerbook man myself, beautiful machines.

15. deebster macrumors 6502

The poster is talking in pounds, so I don't think deals in the US are much help to him / her ;)

As for iBook heat dissipation, I run mine pretty much 24/7 in a hot environment and the keyboard does get warm. Not as warm as the area around the hard disk though, but since both would be very close to the screen when run in clamshell mode - and since any damage caused by running your iBook this way is not covered under warranty - I wouldn't recommend it.

Hack and span by all means, clamshell mode no. You could always just angle the lid down to a point where the screen is not visible and turn the brightness all the way down, but if true clamshell mode is on your list of necessities then it seems a PB is the only way.