12" iBook ordering tonight

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rbg, May 26, 2005.

1. rbg macrumors newbie

Right so I'm about to take the plunge... I'm a windoze user from waaay back, been looking at laptops for a while now and decided upon the 12" iBook for a number of reasons. The main one being that I'm about to spend the next 5 years working in Europe and I need something that I can travel with.

The 12" iBook was decided as the way to go due to its weight, size, and the durability that the iBook name carries with it..

I'm looking at getting 2 upgrades, the 60gb HDD and the upgrade to 768Mb RAM...

I'm also looking at getting the video out adapter so that I can output video to TV etc...

Anything that I'm missing?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I got mine with a mouse, but you might have one lying around.

3. Jazzbolicious macrumors newbie

wait a little longer!

Hold off on the plunge! The ibooks are bound to be updated sometime very soon, as they haven't seen a refresh since October (check the buyer's guide if you don't believe me). You'll really be glad you waited, especially if the rumored widescreen ibook is in the cards, and my guess is they will bump the gpu up to the 9600 mobility with 64mb of ram for full core image capability. That and the inevitable processor speed bump are worth another month and a half or so. Aside from all that, go with the hard drive upgrade whenever you decide to buy, but purchase your own ram and install it yourself to save $$.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sounds good. I've had my 14" for about a year and I love it. You'll be very happy. They're quite durable and capable little machines. Mine's been banged around on buses, trains and planes and it still looks great. I would, however, purchase some iKlear to clean it with once a week. Mine still looks brand new and I use it daily.

5. rbg thread starter macrumors newbie

Hehe...
    I've been waiting this long... And I now can't wait any longer I'm leaving the country in just over a month and need it before then.

From what I've read, having a lappy thats a revision behind everyone else isn't a killable offense so I'll just have to live with the fact that I don't have the fastest thing on the Market. :)

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Go ahead. I got my 14" 1 GHz for $1099 through Microcenter and wouldn't you know it, I found out why. About 2 weeks later it was updated. Do I care? No. It's great. :)

7. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

don't get the extra ram--get bluetooth. you can buy a 512 stick of ram for a *lot* less elsewhere.

8. Jazzbolicious macrumors newbie

Fair enough.

Well if you need it now, I guess you'll have no regrets. My friend has the 1.2ghz 12 incher and is thrilled to death with it. Do take the purchasing ram separately route though. Also, if you go and buy one now they're bound to be updated very soon, and then I can buy one for myself... muaahahahahaha... :)

9. rbg thread starter macrumors newbie

Hehe... Yeah I figured that :p

I'm getting the whole thing on an 18mnths interest free deal, so it'll all come pre-done for me.. I looked at the bluetooth and realistically I don't need it, if I want something like that in a year or so then I'll shell out the extra and get myself a powerbook then (and give the gf the old iBook).

10. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

You could always spring for the 12" PowerBook G4- faster CPU, GPU (with twice the VRAM, and able to handle all that tiger has to offer), twice the RAM, the HD upgrade you were looing at buying, and then some. for ~$500 it seems like a deal. Still, your 12" iBook would be a great computer. enjoy your new mac (whatever you buy) :D

11. Panoctopi macrumors member

I'm so envious... I bought my first mac 1.5 years ago (an emac) and fell in love with this platform. now, since I got a new job recently and I'm on the road often, I'm waiting to buy an ibook... every time I walk by the apple store i go in and get a fix. :p

12. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

If you haven't purchased yet, hold off until WWDC (if you can) which runs from June 6-10. It's believed that Apple will update them then. Maybe the following week at the latest.

Otherwise, just go for it and enjoy.

13. panda macrumors regular

maybe

going pb in a year sounds smart... but often one keeps computers longer than one plans too...

-blutooth, it costs so little and it could come in handy. a bluetooth headset to use skype for ex. skype is great to have on your computer for just what you are doing... free phone calls. you don't require a bt headste, but is nice. or possibly a bt mouse, or connection to gsm tel? i'd take bt.

-wait 10 days. certainly wait till wwdc to see if there is an upgrade.

assume you are in the US; so prices are cheaper and it makes sense to buy before coming to europe.

enjoy europe and the ibook -a great computer.

:)

14. rbg thread starter macrumors newbie

Its now in the pipeline, 3 weeks to wait til delivery (standard for Western Australia when getting custom stuff put in the lappys).

I was going to wait, but then I've waited this long and yeah I'll be happy with what I get anyway :)

As for the powerbook... its just not as durable as the iBook, much nicer specs, but since I'm planning on travelling a fair bit over the coming years (and doing it out of a backpack) this is a major factor for me.. I won't be able to play the bestest games etc... but hey if I wanted to do that I'd be staying home :p

Is it worthwhile investing in a 2btn mouse for the mac?

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

IF iBook updates are announced June 6th, there's a good chance your order might get delayed for an upgrade anyway.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I know, I was thinking the same thing. I really don't see why people still recommended waiting, or getting a PB or whatever, when he already had his mind set. He has obviously thought about it......you can tell.

Also, Apple will ship him a new iBook if one were planned. 3 weeks is a long time to wait for a BTO though. Not unusually long, but still unusual enough to raise an eyebrow.

18. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Which perhaps means they'll be contacting rbg after wwdc to ask if he'd rather the new model.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I tried ordering an iBook to check the estimated delivering times. It'll take 1-2 days to begin delivery, so I guess no new iBooks are coming next week. :(

20. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

This isn't directed to rbg so much as the many others waiting to buy iBooks.

Don't play the waiting game with Apple because they will always win! Guaranteed, Apple will release a new iBook after you've bought yours so just buy what you need now and be happy that it meets your needs. Apple's not about to do anything radical with the iBook line-up so don't bother waiting. :)

21. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Be sure you pay off the credit account before the 18months is up or else you most likely pay back interest- in other words you will pay the interest on that 18 months. Most credit cards and credit lines work that way- which is why they can afford to give someone one or even two years of free interest...cause when you get to the 18 month point most people haven't saved enough money to pay it off in whole and if that is the case then they charge you all the accrued back interest. Most people figure they will just start making the small payments at the 18 month point but the payments will be quite large at that point and include that interest. My wife got burned bad one time on something like this and it cost her an extra $320.

I am getting ready to buy an iBook for my school (Principal) but will hold off as long as I can on the purchase order so I can get the new one- so I say go ahead and buy away so the new one will come out on day 11...hurry up will ya! :D

22. HomerJSimpson macrumors newbie

HomerJSimpson

hey guys, when u rekon they will bring out the new powerbooks? Also guys, what u think about buying this on the net, In Australia the one i want is $3,200 from Mac retailer. 1.67ghz - 15 incha powerbook.