12" iBook vs 12" Powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by deanbo, Oct 9, 2005.

1. deanbo macrumors regular

Just what do you get for all the extra money by choosing a 12" Powerbook vs 12" iBook?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

1. Better GPU and subsequently better (and inbuilt) screen spanning which is when you use a second display to extend your current desktop. Although this is actually possible on the iBook, the PowerBook does it without needing a hack and the extra VRAM makes it more capable too.

2. Superdrive as an option.

3. Arguably a nicer keyboard (I'm really struggling now) and a nicer "look".

There are other differences such as hard drive speeds and options but the first two are the main ones IMO. :)

3. aesth3tic macrumors member

"power" is a lot better than "i"

aluminium has a better feel. I like my 12" pb at least 100 times better than my 14" ibook in every aspect.

4. WillMak macrumors 6502a

5. yenko macrumors 6502a

Click here for pic.

Attached Files:

6. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Gee I'm glad someone finally asked this question :rolleyes:

7. booksacool1 macrumors 6502

The gpu in the iBook is significantly better then the one in the 12"pb.
    Yeah, it might have twice the vram, but it also has an obselete budget gpu (5200).
    The 9550 (in the pc world at least) is a lot faster (http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/tul9550/6.html)

However, the vram changes things, as in many cases 32mb won't be enough to fill in all the textures, which leads to stuttering.
    What probably will happen is the iBook will run games at low rez/quality much faster, but games at a higher resolution would run a bit faster on the 5200 (if they run at all).

Also new powerbooks will hopefully be out soon, so it would probably be worth your while waiting to see what happens.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I get very similar times on my 15-inch powerbook as my girlfriends 12-inch ibook. About 4 hours. The ibook may be about 10-15 minutes more than the pbook, but no more. Somehow I don't believe the 12-inch pbook only gets 2 hours of battery. Or does the newer ibook get 6 hours of battery? Can someone clarify?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fair point. I wouldn't go so far to say there's a significant difference though. I suppose it's like comparing bogs and turds, neither are particularly good. Neither can be pinned to a wall either, incidentally.

Which means that for running two displays, the PowerBook would be better (even if the iBook has the hack running to let it actually span) because the PowerBook has that extra VRAM. :)

10. steelfist macrumors 6502a

sorry to be rude, but mad jew, are you aware that the benchmarks that you posted are PC desktop graphics cards, and the difference between 9200mob and 9550 mobility on an ibook is minimal? it only has a faster clockspeed than 9200 mobility, and not to mention it still has a very low VRAM.

Check out the real new ibook benchmarks compared with old ibooks on www.xlr8yourmac.com and www.macworld.com to see that it only has a tiny improvement.

IMO, i think that radeon 9550 mobility is just a faster clocked 9200 mobility, and the desktop PC radeon 9550 is a downclocked version of 9600pro.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's okay, you're not being rude steelfist. I didn't post any benchmarks though, booksacool1 did. I didn't actually read them either. That's a good find.

Regardless, a PowerBook will be much better at spanning than an iBook. Whether that's worth the extra cash (including the other features) is another issue though. In my opinion, it's a rare case that a 12 inch PowerBook is needed over a 12 inch iBook. :)

12. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

I probably have tried to answer this question 10 times in the past 2 months, because I went through the same dilemma. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I chose the ibook simply because I thought it was the better value for the money. Sure I love the sleek enclosure of the slightly smaller 12incher. But with my ibook I get a more durable case with at least 1 hour better battery life and better wifi reception, plus an extra 500 dollars in my pocket. Did I mention it also runs cooler? Either way you wont be disappointed. If you need screen spanning than you can go the pb way or get the hack (which I have and works beautifully). If you need a wonderful portable than your set. If you need a superdrive than you should go powerbook. The other posters have outlined the exact spec differences but if you need to do hardcore video editing than you probably shouldnt get either one of these because whatever advantage the 12PB has on the ibook you wont be able to notice. And so I'd suggest a powermac or even imac. Wait out this week and then decide if the powerbook is still worth that price tag.

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

My 12" 1.33GHz PB got about 4 hours... my 12" 1.33GHz iBook gets at least 6 hours, MUCH better wifi reception, is more durable, and runs so much cooler than the PB (the PB getting hot is almost tolerable in the cold winter, but really, it gets uncomfortable to touch).