Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Okay, this is a tough question because I know everyone is different. But I was hoping to get a little real world feedback.

I currently have a 12" ibook which I love. It seems to be a perfect size and fit, very comfortably on my lap when I type. I have tried the 13" macbook's (pre aluminum) and they didn't feel quite as comfortable. I have not yet tried the 13" aluminum.

As I am thinking about ordering one of the new models, I was wondering if anyone who has used all three has some opinion on them. Does the 13" Aluminum feel the same as the 13" plastic while typing? I know the unibody is supposed to feel way more sturdy and stay cooler, but does it seem to put your wrists at awkward angles?

Again, I know these are tough questions because we are all different shapes and sizes, but I just wanted to see what people thought on the matter. As always, thanks for the help.

p.s. I was going to hit an Apple store tonight and ask if they would let me put a 13" on my lap and type, but I don't think they will say yes. All the store models are fastened to the table.

p.p.s. Does anyone else think I said "on my lap" too much in this post?:eek:

boston44

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2009
lol, I have the black mac and like the white, it feels fine while typing *on your lap*. That being said, I still prefer the aluminum body..

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
So you find the aluminum a more comfortable machine to work with? It feels about the same or different than the 13" plastic?

Seriously, everything I type sounds horrible.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
I don't have the exact experience with the machines you are looking at, but I do have experience with a 12" Powerbook, a 13" white Macbook, and a 15" Unibody MBP, so I think that provides a similar point of view.

I find the aluminum model to be much more sturdier than the plastic, and it isn't prone to any of the cracking the the plastic Macbook faced. Also, I've found that typing is not uncomfortable in any way on my MBP and I haven't had any issues with the hard edge digging into my wrists as some have complained about.

In terms of size differences, it is a step up from the 12" size to the 13" size, but then again, the 13" MBP is half a pound lighter than the Macbook and is also thinner, so that somewhat makes up for the bigger difference in footprint from your 12" iBook.

If I were you, I would definitely go for the 13" MBP if you have the money. It is a great value over the white Macbook with Firewire 800, an SD card slot, and a better battery and screen, plus (although this is subjective) I find the aluminum design to be much better than the plastic design.

I was just comparing the Powerbook to my MBP and the Powerbook looks so thick in comparison! It will definitely be a worthwhile upgrade for you and your machine will feel so much faster regardless of which one you choose.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
I really appreciate the feedback. I actually went down to the mac store and they had a 13" and a 15" to test out that weren't locked down. I must say the 13" aluminum is a nice machine. It felt real comfortable on the lap. The 15" felt a little big.

So I just ordered the 13" 2.53 ghz with a SSD. Thanks for the advice all. Now I just need to wait a few weeks for the computer to ship...:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.