12 in vs 15 in PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by madru, Oct 25, 2003.

1. madru macrumors member

Hi all,
    I'm considering getting either the 12 or 15 inch PB. If I get 12" PB, I'll want to upgrade it. By the time I'll upgrade the 12" PB (memory, wireless networking, etc) I'll be closer to $2100 mark. However, for an extra $500 I can have a machine with bigger harddrive, bigger screen, better graphics card, faster memory, faster processor, etc. It seems that the 15" PB is a better deal than the 12" PB. The only reason that I haven't settled on the 15" PB is that it seems to be rather big, and I want a laptop that will be mobile. For all those 15" PB owner, have you experienced any inconvinience carrying your PBs around? Did you wish you had a 12" PB?

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

For what it is worth, you can get the same capacity hard drives in either computer if you do a build to order. I love my 12". The fifteen is awfully large. But if you compare it to the 17, then it is not that bad:)

3. m4rc macrumors 6502

In July I decided to get an apple laptop. I didn't need anyhting bigger or higher spec than the 12" iBook. I had a look at the 14", and decided that the bigger screen might be nice, and there reallt isnt much difference in bulk.

Then I realised that for not a lot more I could get a G4 12", which really appealed - see how the prices are climbing! I hit the rumor boards and found that it was very likely the PB line would be upgraded at Paris, so I decided to wait.

When the new 15.2 was announced I was interested. I decided to play with a 15" and 12" side by side, and got on a lot better with the larger screen. Plus I liked the backlit keyboard.

Although I needed a portable machine, I would not be using it on the train and bus, just in lots of different places, and on my lap or desk. I also found the 15" sat better on my lap. It really was not a lot bigger, b ut the screen is much more useable. Don't get me wrong, the 12" is a fantastic machine, just a little harder on the old eyes for all day useage. Go pick one up in an Apple centre and you will love it, but you won't hate the 15" model.

So, as you may have guessed I am writing this on a 15.2" PB, which I am very happy with. Come a long way since those thoughts of a 12" iBook!

Marc