12 inch PB battery compared to the 15 inch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by carpet, Feb 9, 2005.

1. carpet macrumors member

Jan 13, 2005
    Do you get better battery life out of the 12 inch? If so, how much?
  2. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    Well, Apple says so (check the individual model pages, on the right). They say the 12" can get up to 5 hours (true in my personal experience) and that the 15" gets up to 4.5 hours. Anecdotal experience on this board seems to indicate that the 12" generally does better with battery life ... as one might expect. If you do a search on battery life and PowerBooks you'll find a wealth of information from users.
  3. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Dec 17, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    According to the Apple tech specs, they both have a 50 watt battery. The 15" PB of course consumes more power. It's a shame the 15" doesn't have a beefier battery, which could then match the 12" PB in battery life.

For real-world usage, I think you should knock off at least an hour off Apple's estimates.
  4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Aug 17, 2004
    Communard de Londres
  5. cluthz macrumors 68040

Jun 15, 2004
    My PB 12-inch gives me nearly 5 hours with battery (dimmed screen, etc)
    Normal use will give me about 4 (a bit dim screen, a few apps running and airport on).

I know a few that owns 15-inchers, and noone of then are getting close 4 hours.. Normal usage will give them 3 hours..
  6. shane-o-mac macrumors regular

Jan 24, 2005
    Same battery as 15inch, different systems. The gist is the battery time in the 12 inch is significantly better by almost two hours from all the threads and reviews I have read, and I have read a lot. Hence why a lot of people go for the 12 inch, as a portable is just makes a lot more sense. I mean who really wants to unplug or plug in a powerbrick every place you go with a laptop. But if you really want the advantages of a 15 inch you can always buy another battery or hope there is an outlet near bye where ever you go...:)