12 inch PB owners: SOUND OFF!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Mr. Monsieur, May 4, 2004.

1. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

It just struck me that I should ask the opposite question of 12 inch PB owners: Any regrets at buying the 12 inch PB as opposed to the 14 inch iBook? Has the smaller screen been an issue? Have you actually used the extras that the PB offers, which the iBook doesn't offer?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

small screan = no problem
    and when i was buying my pb i didnt know about mac rumors or anything like that and i bought mine before the G4 ibooks were released so it was a much better machine than the ibooks at the time...if i would have waited i might have ended up with a G4 ibook instead but thats history no regrets here

3. Mighty Mac macrumors member

12"

:rolleyes: This new machine they just released is great! I just changed to the PB from an iMac DV 400. Though I would like more ram I am saving / paying off the computer first then adding the 1gb mem module. The 1.33ghz G4 is fast. The main reason why I went with the 12 over the 14ibook was everything already built in. 802.11G went on to wireless networks in Boston, the Minneapolis St. Paul, Portland, Or Vancouver WA and Chicago. Found all and was able to use them no time at all. I have yet to try blue tooth but if it works as well I will be happy. 5hrs of playtime in flight with Gimp, imovie, iphoto.

Only thing I have run that slows this computer down so far is Windows XP. VPC 6.1 is good and unfortunately a necessity.

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

None what so ever. I don't know if I could ever go back to a 14'' notebook. they seem so big now in comparison. As for the iBook with 14'' screen, it is the same resolution as the 12''. So your not gain any more realestate. I love my PB very much. Bluetooth & WiFi are used daily with no problems. There is the minor annoyance of "corrosion" on the right palm rest, but it is not very bad. Other than that all is good. You can even flip it over and use it as a hot plate or Skillet!

5. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

ExoticFish

The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    sometimes i wish i had gotten the 15" but only for the screen size and the better video card... and that's only sometimes. i love my 12", my girlfriend might even say a little too much. :p

6. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

I bought a 12" PB and my only real complaint is about the screen *resolution* not the size. 1024 is just barely liveable. I wish I had the money to just buy a 15" but I don't.

As far as 12" vs 14", I'm happy with the 12".

7. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

No regrets.

As I think I posted in a similar thread...not a single regret. But then, my last computer was a heavy, large clamshell--which, don't get me wrong, was a reliable workhorse with a fantastic battery life. But my one dream was to not have to haul around all that weight. So I think you'll understand that when it came time to buy a new computer, I didn't even consider a 14" iBook or 15" pb. It was love at first sight with this tiny machine.

As for the screen, it never seems small, not even when I'm watching movies on it. To the contrary, when I do see 14" iBooks or 15" pb's, they seem too big. Especially the 14" iBooks which look rather chunky.

I never want to go back to anything larger than this 12". I still remember hauling my clamshell around in this big, over-the-shoulder bag. Now I've got a small, slender bag that's barely bigger than the laptop. No feeling like I'm toting luggage everytime I take my laptop for a walk. Light and breezy, barely there. I love it. Less is more. :D

8. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

Can I ask which bag your using? Im looking for a small bag thats only a lil bit bigger than my PB and maybe a couple pockets for my power adapter,mouse and iPod. Thanks

9. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

Small, cool bags

I've got two now. This is the first:
    http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=63

This is a very small backpack/over the shoulder. It may not look it in the picture but it really isn't much bigger than the laptop. It holds just enough and is fantastic for travel. Not just for taking on planes and buses, but walking. I can walk and walk with this thing and barely know it's on my back.

What's really interesting is they have this larger one:
    http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=62

The XS is so small you can zip it to the front of this particular XL, thus creating one big backpack for longer trips.

And I've also JUST got this one:
    http://www.acmemade.com/bags.html

Which doesn't hold much more than the laptop, but is nice if you've got to take your laptop to a conference or presentation or if you need to keep it with you as you head off to a dinner or lunch meeting. Stylish and slim.

10. sethypoo macrumors 68000

I have absolutely no regrets after buying this 12" PowerBook G4 Revision A.

This thing is a little powerhouse. It's solidly built, light, fully featured, and perfect for my lifestyle. I reccommend this computer highly!

11. fussball macrumors regular

I have both at the moment. A 700mhz iBook 14" and a 1.33 PB12. Of course the speed difference here is ENORMOUS, but other than that I prefer the 12 ergonomically. It is so much lighter and easier to carry around I take it with me everywhere, and it looks so much cooler. I want to use it just because it is such a nice looking computer. I would say, now I would take a 12" iBook over a 14" and a 12"PB over either. I had my choice of any apple laptop, and I went for the 12" when they went to the 1.33 and the 64mb vid card

12. tekno_geek911 macrumors 6502

Cool thanks,I'll give it a try...I had the Booq PowerSleeve12 before,as nice as it was it didnt work out for me.

13. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i've had my 12" PB for over a year and i'm yet to find another laptop that comes even close in terms of functionality, usability and mobility.

15" feels too big for me now. better screen resolution is nice, but mobility wins for me - even if i don't move it that much, the form factor is great.

14. JonGraves macrumors member

For me, the revC 12" PB was a no-brainer. I don't really understand why many people have difficulty deciding between the 12" and the larger formats: If portability is THE priority go with the 12". If not, go with the 15". The 15" PB, although nice, was just too big for my requirements. Part of my logic was that two or three years down the road my PowerBook will not be fast any more but it will still be small.
    In terms of processing speed you dont give up much either with the 1.33 GHz 12" relative to the 1.5 GHz 15" - xBench scores are closer than you might expect (on the order of 131 vs 135).
    Driving an external monitor (via DVI-ADC) is easy with the bluetooth keyboard and mouse in run-closed mode. You only need to connect the power adaptor and mini-DVI and wake via the bluetooth peripherals!
    Max this puppy out and you have an amazing amount of computing power and versatility in a tiny package. Compare the size and features of the 12" to small PC notebooks and you have to conclude that it represents good value too.

I agree with thirteen1031: I also have the same two bags - or will have when my Mamba.Xs arrives later this week!

Jon

12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook
    1.25 GB RAM
    80 GB 5400rpm HD
    Superdrive
    Kewel!

15. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

I had the exact same question before I bought mine. My new 12" PB is kick ass. I'm not as much of a power user as others might be, but the great thing is that the 12" is cheaper than the bigger models, so I figured why not go for the PB, it'll last longer anyway. And a big seller for me was the better quality keyboard. After using it for a while, the screen is great, it seems bigger than I expected -- for me the width of the screen is not so important so there isn't much of a sacrifice going with the smaller screen.

16. thrillz3 macrumors member

Ok, I'm fairly certain I'm going to get a 12" PB within the next month or 2. (First Mac!) That's if my mom wants my old laptop for her job as a teacher- otherwise, I'll get an iMac once they upgrade them. Anyway, if I get a 12" PB, I think that I'll want an external monitor. Not just to be bigger when I get home, but an extended desktop will be great. Should I go for it? I'll definately get the 17", but right now it seems that I'll wait untill after WWDC for the LCD, in the slim hope that they're upgraded, even if I get the PB before that. Of course, if there's another $688 screen after WWDC, I'll get that.

17. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

the extended desktop solution is perfect. it's what i'm currently using (17" and 12" pbook) and I can't express how much i love it enough :D.

18. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

No regrets with my PB 12". I bought after the last upgrade. A perfect size all the way around.

My regret is that Apple thinks that the 12" units need to be second class when compared to the 15 and 17 units.

19. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I have always been all about notebooks! My first computer was a Compaq Contura Areo sub-notebook. I have always liked the small form computers. It was really hard for me to get used to carrying around my PB G3 266. I currently have a 12" PB 866 and love it. (And the G3 no longer leaves my desk.)

It's all about personal preference and what works for your style. Myself, if I need more screen space, I plug in my 17" LCD from my desktop for multiple monitors. But that is pretty rare. For typing documents, doing some light photo work, building FileMaker Pro Databases, and presenting PowerPoint (and occasionally Keynote) presentations, I find the 12" screen does just fine for me.

My biggest complaint is the lack of speaker volume. When I do sound presentations, I have to lug along a set of external speakers (my LCD projector does not have speakers). Kind of spoils the fun of walking in with two tiny bags and having everyone ask where my equipment is!

20. kirk26 macrumors 6502a

kirk26

I just received my 12" PB by FedEx yesterday. I upgraded from a 600Mhz iBook. I can't believe how fast it is! I'm completely in love with my new Mac!

21. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

I love the 12 and would not rather a 14 inch iBook....The Alu finish is just so much more sexy and matches my G5 :D

I was considering a 15 inch 1.33 but I couldn't see spending much more for a bigger screen/better video chipset.

Had I had the cash I probably would have went with the 1.5 15 but I do love my little powerbook....just wish it had FW800 and backlit keyboard option.

22. evil macrumors 6502

ive had my 12incher for over a year now. it was bought at the time when the 15 inch was still titanium and the ibook was a g3. therefore, it was the only real option. i have no complaints with it. i like its small size for taking it around.
    today the situation is different, there is a alu 15 inch, and the ibooks are also g4....hmm. i dont know what i would chooose.

23. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    no way! i love my 12" PB!! its the greatest computer ive ever gotten. when i get my own, im going to do the exteneded desktop thing too. ive been planning on it for a while, now. :D

24. cornboy macrumors newbie

bags for 12"

I like the shoulder sling bags by Incase www.goincase.com but their website has been down for ages - think you can buy from AppleStore though