12 inch PB unstable after ram install.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cheap-Chopstix, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Cheap-Chopstix macrumors member

I juss installed a 512mb ddr pc2700 kingston memory stick in my 12 inch 1 ghz powerbook and it was running fine for a bit... but started to crash after waking up from sleep or plugging out or in the power adapter... now it just crashes everytime i boot up into the log in screen... What should I do? Is the ram defective? Should i re-install osx? I thought kingston ram was safe and stable...argh!... thanks any help would be appreciated.

sam

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

put back in all the RAM that came with your computer then see if you get the same crashes, if not, then it was caused by the RAM. If you still get crashes then you have a problem

3. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

I've read that installing the bigger stick of RAM into slot one can help with performance. If you have one stick that's bigger than the other you can also try that. If this is not the case, you could try swapping slots but I have my doubts that doing so would fix this problem.

4. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

If it only happened after the ram installation, it's almost certainly the ram, but remove the stick to be certain. Kingston ram has never given me anything but problems, but mileage may vary. All ram can be defective, no matter how reliable the brand. It happens. That's what warranties are for.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

6. Cheap-Chopstix thread starter macrumors member

Hmm... well if kingston isnt good ram to get...what company would u guys recommend?... the model number is btw Kingston value ram KVR333x64sc25/512

7. danny_w macrumors 601

Kingston and many other generic ram types work well on pc's, but I would stick with Crucial for Mac memory. I have installed it in 2 machines so far with no problems at all. It costs a little more, but well worth it in my opinion.

8. kerpow macrumors 6502

I started a thread about memory here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1990364#post1990364

and somebody mentioned Kingston memory:

I feel for you, it sounds like the ultimate nightmare.

9. California macrumors 68040

California

Kingston value ram does not work on Macs. Not good enough. You need their top of the line NON value ram.

10. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Not really true...you might get a bad stick on occasion, but it's definitely not just "not good enough". I've been using generic ram in my macs for ages and never had a problem.

11. California macrumors 68040

California

I meant to say powerbooks. I'd be careful of KVR ram in a pb or ibook, for that matter. Samsung or regular Kingston here.

PS I will let you know how Samsung 1gig chip works on MY 12" PB at the end of the week. I really would NOT trust KVR Kingston Value Ram on my PB. Or iBook. Or anything.