12 inch PowerBook Shipping!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iJon, Jan 20, 2003.

1. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

We got word today that three of our 12 inch PowerBooks have shipped and will possibly be here tomorrow but definently by the end of the week. If anyone would like me to post pictures of the PowerBook next to anything to compare size please just let me know on this thread. I have every Apple Computer (besides the 17 inch PowerBook which will be here soon as well) to show it next to.

iJon

2. TonicAngel macrumors regular

Hey iJon,
    I'd like to see the 12" powerbook next to a 12" ibook and a 14" ibook.. those are the 3 I am trying to decide between. :D
    thanks!

3. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

ok, well i take something back, we dont show the 14 inch ibook, but i do have a powerbook g3, that will show the same screen size, sorry.

iJon

4. TonicAngel macrumors regular

that's fine, i'm just going for screen size comparison heh :D

5. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

YES!!

Pictures please and as much description as possible. I have on order a 12" w/Superdrive, 640, 60 HD, AirportEX, Base station and case. I am SO excited, this is my "switch" Mac.

6. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

The local reseller in town got the 12" PB today. I went to his store tonight to get a stick of RAM, and I was pulled into the beauty of this machine. It Rocks! He said it has been plugged in for at least 10 hours, and it was very cool. Let me say, heat is not an issue with this machine! The display was very clear and crisp, the aluminium casing is absolutely gorgeous, and I was very impressed. I'm very jealous of all you that ordered one. You're getting an excellent machine! I can't wait to see the 17"!

7. TonicAngel macrumors regular

so RBMaraman.. you have seen the 12" powerbook, would you recommend it over your 12" ibook? What would be the main reasons?

8. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

1. The G4 is much better than the G3.
    2. The machine is just beautiful. I love the design of the iBook, but this PB is just gorgeous. The screen is very sharp, the slot-loading drive is much better than a tray, and the aluminium complements all of the machines features.
    3. AirPort extreme.
    4. It feels about the same weight as the iBook (I'm not sure of the actual weights of either machine).
    5. The store I was in wasn't very crowded, and from what I could hear, the machine is as quiet as the iBook.
    6. Every iBook I have ever used has the squeak problem when the screen opens (It gets better with time. Mine has. I refered to this in an earlier post). The hinges on the 12" PB are very sturdy and don't make any noise.

Those are just a few reasons I like it. I'm very happy with my iBook, and I would love to have a new machine, but I'm not going to be buying another computer until I graduate from college in 2.5 years.

9. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

the powerbook came in, ill be taking pictures of it sitting next to every mac computer so you can compare with sizes.

iJon

10. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

HURRY!! j/k!! Cant wait to see the pics.

11. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

g0g0g0g0!

get a MOVE ON!! :p

its been almost an hr man, we are waiting.

being an owner of a 12" iBook 600, I just drool at the thought of a 12" PowerBook. Buy me one.

edit: btw, is it running 10.2.4 or .3 ?? Build # ??

12. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

ok guys here are the pictures. my battery went dead at the store so i didnt get as many as i wanted. on the last picture the picture looks wrong from the angle i shot it at.i alligned the powerbook and ibook at the top right corners. it looks like the powerbook is longer from the picture but it isnt. if you allign them at those corners, there is a little space cut off on the bottom and right sides of the powerbook. any other questions of picture requests just ask. i will be redoing all these pictures saturday to get more accurate angles, i was in a rush but you guys get to see it, sorry, better ones will be here soon.

http://homepage.mac.com/jtaylor.mac/PhotoAlbum3.html

iJon

13. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

14. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

How come the 12" pBook looks bigger in places than the iBook? I thought it was smaller everywhere?

15. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

please read my post above this, it explains everything, just so sum it up, the powerbook is BARELY smaller, nothing really noticable.

iJon

16. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

nevermind...i should have read before posting.

17. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

So...what's your opinion...does it look nicer than the iBook?

18. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

thats cool man, i was in a rush and then when i got home and looked at the pictures i was like "what the hell, the ibook looks smaller. but like i said, I will take much more accurate pictures saturday when i will be at work all day, i just gave those for teasers, there is another thread on this forum with some good pictures as well, i will do more comparisons with the ibooks and powerbooks.

iJon

19. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

oh hell yeah, once i sell my powerbook g3 im gettting one of these babys. the new material feels much more durable than the old ti's. the airport and ram is much much easier to get too. I was about to take some pictures of how to get the airport in but my battery went bad. the 12 inch powerbook has little rubber thingies at the top, this means the screen NO longer touches the keyboard, yeaa! the sleep light indicator is now on the button that you push to open the computer. The hinge is very flexible, on the old ibooks they didnt bend back easily. the powerbooks you can bend back and forth like string cheese which is very nice. the only thing i didnt like about the powerbook is that the lockdown is at the bottom of all the ports. since the lockdowsn arent very flexible, the wire will go across all the other ports, no biggie though, i really dont care because i wont be locking down my computer. let me know if you ahve any more questions. oh yeah and the other guy i read on some other thread was right, you do not have time to replace another battery into the computer while it is in sleep mode.

iJon

20. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I thoght you were suppose to post more pics today! Slacker! j/k!

21. iJon thread starter macrumors 604

iJon

I'm sorry guys, It was soooooooo busy today. i sat at my desk today for no more then 5 minutes. I even stayed at work an extra hour. Ill try to go down tomorrow when i work on the web page. Sorry guys.

iJon

22. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Don't sweat it man! Enjoy tomorrow, it is Superbowl Sunday!!!