12-Inch Retina MacBooks Discounted $300 for Limited Time

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2016.

1. MacRumors
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

B&H Photo has begun offering a significant $300 discount on 12-inch MacBook models for a limited time. The deal is applicable to both 256 GB and 512 GB models in all three color options, making this the cheapest price we've seen for the 512 GB models. The deal expires on February 15, 2016.

[​IMG]

- 1.1 GHz 256 GB MacBook, regularly $1,299 - discounted to $999.
    - 1.3 GHz 256 GB MacBook, regularly $1,549 - discounted to $1,249.
    - 1.2 GHz 512 GB MacBook, regularly $1,599 - discounted to $1,299.
    - 1.3 GHz 512 GB MacBook, regularly $1,749 - discounted to $1,449.

The 12-inch MacBook is Apple's newest entry into its laptop line. As the MacBook approaches the end of its cycle it's likely it'll see a refresh soon, making additional deals from sellers possible over the course of the next couple of months. Additional deals for the MacBooks and other Apple devices are available in the MacRumors Deals Guide.

MacRumors is an affiliate partner of B&H Photo

Article Link: 12-Inch Retina MacBooks Discounted $300 for Limited Time

2. farewelwilliams
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Core M system temporarily less expensive for a limited time.

3. oldtime
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

4. BallparkDreamer
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Wow, this is really tempting. Especially since I want to upgrade my laptop. Must wait for skylake though. :D

5. CrAkD
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Still too much for a pretty design with very limited power and you still have to buy adapters

6. chasonstone
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

chasonstone

7. John.B
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

John.B

If they came with more than one USB port, they wouldn't need to be discounted by $300. I'm still patiently waiting for Apple to release a version 2.0 of these for the real world.

8. nickcliborne
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

I love my rMB. It has plenty of power and is super light. I use it for consoling into routers/switches all day and fun at night.

9. B4U
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

B4U

10. garirry
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

garirry

Honestly, that's the kind of price I wish the MB lineup would have (especially assuming it will replace the current MBA eventually). However, I feel that it is not the proper time to buy one, because it is very likely we'll get a refresh any time soon. Although normally the product's real price would be higher even if it was a previous generation, so I think that's a great sale price.

11. unplugme71
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68030

12. BCVNDR
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

SOLD! Been waiting for the price to come down below a grand, no brainer purchase for my wife :)

13. PatriotInvasion
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

PatriotInvasion

My friend has one and I was a little shocked at how sluggish it felt with a few apps open and trying to open more. Lag on the app icon bouncing in the dock and navigating the OS just felt like I was beating the crap out of the machine.

Maybe I'm just used to ease of my quad-core iMac or something was up with my friend's machine, but I was disappointed. Looks great though. V2 should be good.

14. happyslayer
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

I'm not sure where or how you're seeing the slow down. I've owned the 1.2/512 model since the moment it was available and I have never noticed this sluggishness you discuss and I typically have 3-4 apps open at a time and sometimes Parallels running Windows 10. I am always amazed at how well this runs and how genuinely quick it feels doing most things. And I had a MacBook Pro 13 retina before.
    Only real negative: I can say that I don't think I've ever really gotten 9-10 hours - more like 6-8 depending on what I'm doing. But it charges fast and the only USB-C dongle I use regularly is a USB-C to Ethernet one I found on Amazon to program routers and such. All in all a very nice laptop. If I didn't already own one, I'd jump a this price!

15. ghost187
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

ghost187

If you're on the fence about picking one up, I'd pull the trigger before the deal is gone, because the sale price is better than the refurbished price at Apple's website. Unless, you're willing to wait and Intel sky lake is worth $300.

16. Dydegu
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Dydegu

$1000 needs to be the standard entry price in order for the rMB to usurp the MBA.

17. Aston441
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Nope. Also patiently waiting for Gen2.

The horsepower just isn't under the hood. I have a late 2011 MBA and haven't waited four and a half years for an updated version that benchmarks the same.

18. xDKP
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

xDKP

Sounds like your friend has his OS X messed up with lots of crap... I have had mine for 4-5 months now, and use it every single day at work and at night for consuming some video/web etc.

I sort of expected it to be sluggish and run slow and not be a capable laptop at all (primarily because of statements from guys like you) but it has really amazed me. It's super responsive, snappy and lasts all day on the battery (I'm usually in the office 8.30 and leave around 4.30 pm with 20% left on a charge - if closed lid during lunch etc. Don't even bring my charger to work anymore) - and as expected it's an amazing build, screen is second to none and keyboard is actually way better and I'm faster than on my MacBook Pro non-retina...

For people considering - it's well worth it (If you are not hardcore gamer or something like that) - especially at this price (For reference mine is the 512, but might not make a difference)

19. bushido
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

bushido

why does gold cost 49$ more? special Dubai, UAE, Sheik edition i am not aware of?

20. Westside guy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 601

Westside guy

I've worked on my boss' MacBook, and on occasion I definitely have experienced the sluggishness PatriotInvasion referred to, even doing simple stuff with Safari or Mail. Not all the time, but often enough for me to have noted it.

I'm also not a big fan of the keyboard or trackpad. The engineering involved is way cool... but they're not for me.

21. ghanwani
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

How do they do it? It's an incredible deal at 23% off.

22. randyj
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

Just in case you missed it... (video of the year last year)

Apple Engineer talking about the Retina Macbook:

23. patrickbarnes
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

As someone who bought the first MBA for way too much money I say -- never guinea pig an Apple v1. I'm patiently waiting for the v2.

As for sluggishness -- you probably just saw it clocked down as it's fanless.

24. BruceEBonus
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

Very funny. And horribly accurate!

25. MrJosef
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I agree, I have the 12" Macbook and run Windows 10 with VMware Fusion, runs beautifully, I was very pleasantly surprised by this, especially as, at the point of purchase I thought I would just use it for travelling and accessing web apps. You really cannot judge this machine until you have one, for me this definitely "could" be a Macbook Air killer..... I also own several other "Top Spec." Macbook Pro's and I very rarely feel I am missing out with my 12".