12 inch rev d doesn't close flush?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by orijinal, Aug 13, 2005.

1. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

when my 12 inch is closed, i notice the left side (the corner where you would rest your left hand) doesnt close flush with the bottom of the laptop. the little pad is about 1-1/2-2 mm above the bottom, and you are able to push down a little on the top to have it close flush but then it comes back up again. the right side sits flush however.

does this happen to anyone else?

2. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

There is another thread on this with a 15" pb I think... It is a design fault I believe.

3. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

i have heard of some types of hinge problems with the 15" but do not know of what they are specifically, and i also heard they were fixed in rev D.

does anyone else with a 12" have the same problem? is it worth taking it in to store for a look see?

4. MacHarne macrumors 6502

This is not a design fault, it is the design. To alleviate some pressure of the keys against the LCD when the laptop is closed, the lid is designed with the tiniest of curves. Some are less tiny than others; I've never seen a PB with the same amount of curve as another PB. Since the PBs are so dense inside, especially the 12", and the keys somewhat protrude over the top of the bottom enclosure, there must be some design compromise so that the LCD is not enlaid with significant key imprints.

5. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

what do you mean by curve?

and how come it is not coming down on both sides then? why is it only one side?

6. cbr600rr macrumors newbie

Not being the same "curve" from one unit to the next is the definition of a design / manufacturing fault. ;) That being said, my 12" 800MHz G3 iBook does the same thing. I have learned to look away.

7. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

hmm... i guess if i read a couple more cases that are similar, and even stop by the store to look at the display pb, i'll have piece of mind

8. MacHarne macrumors 6502

If you've ever seen a TiBook after years of use, you'll quickly see why Apple began applying very tiny convex shape to the PowerBook lids. TiBook screens, that weren't protected with LCD sleeves, usually have horrible keyboard imprints; some damaging enough to destroy pixels. I am not sure why the curve is not evenly dispersed on both sides, but it is different from machine to machine. Mine is about even on both sides; others I have seen are clearly skewed to one side. But the amount of curve is so negligible that it really doesn't detract aesthetically. Honestly, I never realize it is there until I scrutinize it.

9. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

If you can take a pic of this. We will then be able to tell you for sure if it is normal.

10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

My current Rev D 12'', does sit flush, but my old rev A 12'' was a bit off on one side. Can remember which. Basically I doubt its anythign to worry about, and if it really bothers you call Apple, or head on over to your local Apple Store, and see what they can do for you.

11. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

sorry kind of hard to see. all i have is my cellphone camera on me right now.

the first two are pictures of the gap i am talking about.

the third picture is a picture of the right side, that sits flush.

Attached Files:

12. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

That's exactly what my girlfriend's 15" looks like. Same corner, same bend, same everything.

I don't think you should be worried.

13. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

orijinal

im sure you guys know where i'm coming from. being a student it's one of my bigger purchases as of late, and i just want to make sure my machine is as 'perfect' it can be, esp. being the price that it is.

thanks for the comments, we'll see what happens in the future.