12 Monkeys and other Terry Gilliam films

Discussion in 'Community' started by BrittasMac, May 3, 2003.

1. BrittasMac macrumors member

I just bought a copy of 12 Monkeys on DVD today. I realized that Terry Gilliam has written or directed 12 Monkeys, Brazil and Monty Python.

Has anyone else ever seen Brazil? I would highly recommend it along with 12 Monkeys.

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Re: 12 Monkeys and other Terry Gilliam films

what is it about?

3. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

4. BrittasMac thread starter macrumors member

12 Monkeys is one of my personal favorite movies. It is about time travel and the paradoxes associated with it. Basically the paradox is that if you travel back in time then whatever you do has already happened and can't be changed. It all leads up to a rather clever ending.

Brazil is somewhat along the lines of 1984. It is set in a totalitarian future and is set aroun a man who makes a buerracratic mistake and become an enemy of the state.

Monty Python is well, Monty Python.

5. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

"Brazil" is like 1984 on crack (in a good way). I love it, and if you like it, I highly recommend the Criterion version of the movie. Three DVDs with two versions of the movie, the Director's cut and the American version, plus a disk of production notes and documentaries on the difficulties of getting the movie made.

Brazil is one of my favorite movies, unfortunately my wife saw the director's cut first which is very dark (VERY) and was very upset after seeing it. It really freaked her out. If you want spoilers why, PM me.

6. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

If you liked 12 monkeys...

12 MONKEYS was based on a wonderful French film, LA JETE. If you want to see a real mind-blowing movie see that one. It'll knock you off your feet. And as far as the writing goes, I think 12 MONKEYS was written by David Peoples (and his wife? I forgot offhand). I think they gave ample credit to this French masterpiece after 12 Monkeys came out.

I probably spelled the French title wrong. I think there's an accent in it. However, if you can get a copy of this film I highly recommend it.

:D

7. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Re: If you liked 12 monkeys...

I've seen La Jetee too. I liked it, but it's hardly something I'd recommend universally. The film is made up of a series of black and white photographs with a voice over (the only sci-fi i've seen in this format). It's very experimental, and pretty cool but not something everyone can get into.

8. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Re: Re: If you liked 12 monkeys...

On second thought, perhaps you're right, SL. I get a bit overly enthusiastic at times when I talk about films I like. :D

9. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    ahhh i'm gonna have to go buy 12 monkeys and brazil now. i remember taping 12 monkeys off the telly years ago, and it took me about three false starts to get into it, but when i did, i was SO into it, great film, unfortunately, the tape ran out 10 minutes before the end, so i still don't know what happens.

now if only Apple had an online DVD store! it'd be a damn sight quicker and cheaper than going into the city and getting it.

10. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Actually, evoluzione, the film really ends right there. You didn't miss anything. There was no ending to 12 monkeys. Just a bank, black screen where the audience is suppose to fill in the blanks. ;) Think of it as creative visualization...:D
    (And if you believe that...:D)

11. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    haha, now i'm even more curious, arrrrgh!

12. BrittasMac thread starter macrumors member

:eek: You missed the last 10 minutes? The last 10 minutes were the best part of the film and tied everything together.

Rent it or buy it ASAP.

13. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

12 Monkeys was my first DVD purchase. It remains one of my all time favorites :)

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Brazil is quite weird, but a very fun movie, strange characters with a great cast. I'll have to find that 3 DVD volume, didn't know it was available.....

Time Bandits and Adventures of Baron Munchhausen (sp?) are some others that can be entertaining at times. A young Uma Thurman goes topless as the Goddess Venus I think...;)

D

15. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

Pretty much all of Gilliam's films are great. Fear and Loathing was all right, not one of his best but still enjoyable. A cool story about Brazil is that the studio had refused to release it, so Gilliam had a secret screening for the L.A. film critics, and they named it best film of the year. Then the studio was forced to release it. That's pretty cool.

:)

The Fisher King is very good too.

16. mproud macrumors regular

Office Space on acid

My friend once said "Brazil is like Office Space on acid."

Dammit, why couldn't this thread be here like 4 weeks ago. I had a paper covering the social effects of the sci. and tech. in the movie, and could have used some external discussion.

I had never seen 12 Monkeys until this year, but its setting reminded me a bit of Brazil - both have a post-modern neo-industrial feel to them.

Ah, Terry Gilliam - one of the weirdest directors of great movies of our time.