12 Month Apple Road Map?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dswoodley, Sep 6, 2004.

1. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Here is where I think Apple is going in the next six months based on rumors, speculation, news releases, hints from Apple execs, and my own crack smoking fetish...

The release date for 10.4 will be told at MWSF 2005, pre-orders will be taken, and Steve will demo a few more features that haven't reached daylight yet. Apple will launch a new marketing campaign bigger than the Switcher campaign that basically says "All those promises Microsoft broke about its new OS; Apple delivered."

The Powermac G5 will also finally get the bump to 3ghz at MWSF.

The emac as we know it will cease to exist soon. Vendors will get notice in November that supplies will not be refurbished. Again, around MWSF a new education model desktop will be announced. Whether they call it the new eMac or the Education iMac (not the one they already have now) it will look a lot like the existing iMac G5 (with an all in one form factor and and a flatpanel LCD) but it will house a 1.5ghz g4. The CRT will finally be dead.

A few weeks after MWSF the iMac will see its first bump to 2ghz and yes a 128mb GPU. Airport will be standard (but removed as a BTO option). Prices will remain the same. All in response to consumer feedback.

The ibooks and Powerbooks will be upgraded the day after the Presidential election (november 3 i think). Speed bumps in the ibook and 64mb GPU. But the Powerbooks will use new g4s freescale has in development. Faster hard drives will be standard.

Depending on production of the G5 at fishkill, the G5 pb will see the light of day in WWDC 2005 or later at the next revision. If the G5 is in good enough volume production than a g5 pb will happen at WWDC and the new freescale g4s it was using for the first half of 2005 will transition to the ibook.

Lastly, starting in February, Duke university will begin analysis on how successful its ipod distribution plan was and Apple will be paying close attention. If the ipod for evey freshman was a success, Apple will take a long hard look at the future of the ipod and its aborted PDA/tablet. While the PDA may be dead, it may rise from the ashes as the PLA (Personal Learning Assistant).

Well my friends, is my crack habit out of control? Have I stated the obvious? Do you have a better 12 month plan prediction? let the discussions begin!

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would say that you have hit all the highlights of future speculation from Apple. I'm interested in hearing about the release Tiger, your timing is just right. The sad part about a 3.0 GHz G5 at MWSF would be that some people will have just received their 2.5 by then if the current pace continues.

3. dswoodley thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL, i don't predict a 3 ghz will ship at MWSF, just that it will be announced! Shipping as usual won't occur until 3 months later!

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I don't like how people say that the dual core G4 will be the next rev of the pbook in November-January. Freescale is only showing a prototype of there dual core G4. It will take freescale at least 8 months to debug them and ship in quanity. Unless you meant the single core 2 Ghz G4 they are developing.

The rest of the roadmap I agree with. The Pmac will finally go to 3 Ghz. Maybe it will be a dual core. The emac will stay but, once again be on sale to schools. Apple will replace the $799-$999 range with a cheap LCD AIO computer that stays with the G4(single core) with the Geforce 5200 at 32 MB.( we have to keep this machine as far away from the imac G5 as possible).

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I agree that the Freescales just arent ready to be utilized. Its interesting though to see what is going to happen with the G5. Apple is always being held back by the mhz myth so they want to get to 3ghz ASAP to satisfy its customers as well as potentials. However, as others have said it would P.O. a lot of people who had just recieved their 2.5ghz G5. The point is, Apple need to give IBM a big kick in the you know what on these chips. I dont care what kind of excuse they give for 90nm. Intel seems to be punching out chips at a nice clip, they provide the world with processors and i dont see Dell and Gateway having delays. This is "Big Blue" we are talking about and they cant make chips as good as Intel, i thought they were a leader in chip production. I really feel for the people who keep being delayed their G5s. Also, i have a bad feeling the iMac will be pushed back farther than the 2.5s are right now.
    only a few will be shipped in Sept. and you all know that, and its a shame b/c Apple has had a lot of time to start stock piling them.

OK, im done. :)